ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey pv 118 upgrade  (Read 8866 times)

John Luty

Peavey pv 118 upgrade
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »

If I were to replace the speakers with something better ,like black widows for example , would I need to change the crossover to in order to run more power through them or is it simply not worth trying ?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Peavey pv 118 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 11:35:10 PM »

By the time you get great drivers, modify and strengthen the box for them - it would make more sense to sell and buy better subs.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »

If I were to replace the speakers with something better ,like black widows for example 

Black Widows aren't better subwoofers, and this exact topic was discussed a little while ago right here... http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,140238.0.html

would I need to change the crossover to in order to run more power through them or is it simply not worth trying ?
Are you referring to the internal passive crossover inside the box? If so the answer is yes.. completely remove it and use an active crossover.

John Luty

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:52:53 AM »

Are you referring to the internal passive crossover inside the box? If so the answer is yes.. completely remove it and use an active crossover.
by crossover I meant the input . It says 400 watt. this may sound dumb but is it the speaker that can the 400 watts or the crossover ? Let's say for example if I replace the speaker with one that can run at 1000 watts will it damage anything else?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:59:04 AM »

By the time you get great drivers, modify and strengthen the box for them - it would make more sense to sell and buy better subs.

Agreed.    You'll learn something, but you probably won't get any commensurate sound improvement for the $$$, just an "education".  Could be worth it or not.  I think not.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Luty

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

Agreed.    You'll learn something, but you probably won't get any commensurate sound improvement for the $$$, just an "education".  Could be worth it or not.  I think not.
Thanks for the replies at this time I have decided that it wouldn't be worth it to try. But I would like to learn more about it so is it the speaker that determines wattage or crossover or both ?

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »

I would like to learn more about it so is it the speaker that determines wattage or crossover or both ?

It's everything, the driver, the box it's in, the wiring and passive crossover too.. if so equipped.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies at this time I have decided that it wouldn't be worth it to try. But I would like to learn more about it so is it the speaker that determines wattage or crossover or both ?
And the actual "wattage capacity" is a combination of dynamic range of source material-amount of limiting/compression etc.

Wattage capacity is one of those things that is "thrown around" quite a bit-as a "simple" thing-yet it is REALLY complicated.  And a loudspeaker that would be good for 500 watts in one application is "good for" 2,000 watts in another.

There is no SIMPLE answer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Luty

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »

Def. have a lot to learn I thought a 1000 watt speaker was the same no matter what cabinet it is in .Thanks for helping this old Pollack

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

Def. have a lot to learn I thought a 1000 watt speaker was the same no matter what cabinet it is in .Thanks for helping this old Pollack
One of the hardest things for people to "really get a hold of" is that music is DYNAMIC.  Yes they all "know" that, but when you start to think in terms of heating and duration and power supply capacity and such-THEN you start to get an idea how to "properly" power a loudspeaker-with a particular amplifier and with a particular style of music.

There is no simple answer to this.

The actual impedance of a loudspeaker also has a lot to do with it.  And different cabinets will present different loading to the loudspeaker-which will change the impedance.

Speakers are NOT their rated impedance.  That number is simply the closest standard value and the actual impedance varies quite a bit with frequency.

understanding that an amplifier delivers VOLTAGE-NOT POWER is a good start.  How long the amplifier can deliver that voltage into a particular impedance is another stage of the "understanding".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.