ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rigging education and insurance  (Read 2637 times)

Kyle Malenfant

Rigging education and insurance
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

Greetings all,

I'm a fairly experienced SR engineer and owner of a small company handling small and midsized PA and DJ events. 

Recently I've become interested in learning more about rigging and flying small format speakers (for bars, gyms, meeting rooms, etc..) for the purposes of permanent install in such venues.

What are some resources that cold offer me the soft knowledge I need to get my feet wet and ultimately point me in the direction of hard knowledge - official training?  What certifications would I be looking at achieving?  I have general business liability insurance, but what other insurance would be needed when flying speakers above the heads of patrons?

I'm not attempting to do an install, but rather would like to educate myself and prepare for if the call comes in one day or in the event of expanding my operations.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:48:32 AM by Kyle Malenfant »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Rigging education and insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »

Greetings all,

I'm a fairly experienced SR engineer and owner of a small company handling small and midsized PA and DJ events. 

Recently I've become interested in learning more about rigging and flying small format speakers (for bars, gyms, meeting rooms, etc..) for the purposes of permanent install in such venues.

What are some resources that cold offer me the soft knowledge I need to get my feet wet and ultimately point me in the direction of hard knowledge - official training?  What certifications would I be looking at achieving?  I have general business liability insurance, but what other insurance would be needed when flying speakers above the heads of patrons?

I'm not attempting to do an install, but rather would like to educate myself and prepare for if the call comes in one day or in the event of expanding my operations.

Thanks!

The late Harry Donnovan's "Entertainment Rigging" and "Introduction to Rigging in the Entertainment Industry" by Chris Higgs.

For installs, have a registered professional engineer design the rigging system and specify the products, materials and installation methods to be used.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luther Bell

• Luther Bell - Freelance A/V Technician
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

Kyle, I went though Columbus McKinnon's (CM Motors) rigging training this past summer and loved it.  My session was a combination of their motor maintenance course and their entertainment rigging course (also available separately).  Their instructors were fantastic and the classes often evolved into group discussions of what you have done or seen and using real world examples of why that was right or wrong.

This scale of education might be too much for you but the math is the same either way.

http://www.cm-et.com/Training

Greetings all,

Thanks!
Luther Bell
Freelance A/V Technician
www.lutherbell.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.