ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Sound Board and Wireless Mics for Church  (Read 20324 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
New Sound Board and Wireless Mics for Church
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:28:23 PM »

My church has asked me my opinion about what new sound board and wireless mics to purchase. They currently have an ailing Behringer Eurodesk MX2442A(has 16 mic pres and 4 stereo channels with 1/4 trs inputs and faders) which has more issues than I care to list(I'd estimate it's close to 20 years old and was trouble free until the past 5-6 years). For wireless mics they have a fairly new Shure lapel mic for the pastor to use. The snake that's currently in place is a 16x4 and will be used with whatever new board we get and either supplemented with a second snake or possible a digital snake/stage box.

From what I gather they are looking to get a larger sound board with a minimum of 24 mic pres and they may want to go digital. They are also wanting to get some wireless handheld mics. As far as I know the rest of their system is fine for now. The music they do now is simple: hymns + piano, song leader, and choir(with 2 condensors). Although it probably won't happen under the current pastor they are wanting to get a board that has room to grow(potentially to more contemporary music with a band of some sort). I don't have a definite price range but I'm thinking something under $5k for the board. From what I've seen decent wireless mics start in the $300-$400 range per channel; are there any good ones cheaper than that? I've seen some AKGs on Musicians Friend for $100-$200, has anyone use any of those?

My current choices for mixers are as follows:
A&H GL2400-24 or 32(or similar)
Presonus SL24.4.2
Behringer x32
Yamaha 01V96 (I assume it can be expanded to have enough channels, if so how expensive is that?)
Yamaha 02R96(similar problem to the 01V96 though)
Some other analog/digital mixer priced similar to the above with 24-32 inputs
Yamaha LS9(possibly out of our price range)

For wireless mics I'm thinking either Sennheiser or Shure; I've used both with good results. What models do you recommend in my price range?

Personally I like the x32 as far as price vs. features goes, but I'm open to all suggestions and opinions.

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: New Sound Board and Wireless Mics for Church
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »

Another mixer that is worth a look is the Roland M-380
Not to Code

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »

Another mixer that is worth a look is the Roland M-380

I'll keep it in mind but it's probably out of our price range, especially after you add a couple of those S-1608 stage boxes(On sweetwater $9k for the mixer plus $2k each for the stage boxes).

Just out of curiosity how does the Roland stack up against an A&H GLD-80 or a Soundcraft Si Compact 32? (Both similarly priced but slightly cheaper)

That said I'm most interested in the $5k and under boards.

Thanks,
Tommy Peel

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »

I was looking at the other Roland mixers on Sweetwater and the M-200i looks pretty nice, anyone used one yet? I like that it has 16 mic inputs built in so we can still use the existing snake and then expand later with a stage box if needed. I didn't mention this before but another thing we're looking at is mixing with an iPad; the sound booth is located in a loft of sorts(the floor of it is maybe 15-20ft from the main floor. Needless to say mixing from up there is a terrible experience; I'm just glad I don't normally run sound there. An iPad would mean the sound guy could sit/walk around down stairs and mix. Is there a way to play music stored on the iPad/computer connected to the mixer/flash drive connected to the mixer with the iPad app on any of the mentioned mixers? I they tend to do a "special" during most every service where someone sings to a CD/Tape or the piano/other instrument.

Sorry for the long post.  ;D
Tommy Peel

Jared Koopman

New Sound Board and Wireless Mics for Church
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:10:57 AM »

The x32 has 32 mic pre's built in so you can play right into your current snake system. Or you can add the s16 digital snake boxes  if you want to ditch the copper.

Or you might be able to get 24 channels of sac for that price if you don't mint shopping used parts and having a computer based rig.

But for under 5k hard to beat what the x32 offers.

Jared

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 12:45:28 AM »

The x32 has 32 mic pre's built in so you can play right into your current snake system. Or you can add the s16 digital snake boxes  if you want to ditch the copper.

Or you might be able to get 24 channels of sac for that price if you don't mint shopping used parts and having a computer based rig.

But for under 5k hard to beat what the x32 offers.

Jared

I'd have to say all but impossible to beat in the under 5k price range...  Heck, for 5 grand you can get the board, a couple stage boxes, and maybe a couple rf mics as well.

At this point, the only reason to get anything else In this price range is because you just won't buy Behringer....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »

I'd have to say all but impossible to beat in the under 5k price range...  Heck, for 5 grand you can get the board, a couple stage boxes, and maybe a couple rf mics as well.

At this point, the only reason to get anything else In this price range is because you just won't buy Behringer....

That was pretty much my thoughts; I haven't got anything against Behringer and the old Behringer they have now, despite the current problems, has been good for the most part. I think, unless someone convinces me otherwise or they want to spend more money than I'm thinking, that I'm going to recommend the x32. (edit)I see them getting an x32 now and using it with the existing snake(which is 150+ feet long and running through the roof) and if they need more channels they'd probably add an s16 digital snake. Does the x32 let you move something plugged into preamp 20 to channel 10(or 8 or any other channel)? Not really a problem either way; I'm just curious.(end edit)

How much higher up the price range do you have to go for the additional cost to be worth it? (ex is a $10k board that much better than a x32?)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:18:53 AM by Tommy Peel »

Jared Koopman

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »

That was pretty much my thoughts; I haven't got anything against Behringer and the old Behringer they have now, despite the current problems, has been good for the most part. I think, unless someone convinces me otherwise or they want to spend more money than I'm thinking, that I'm going to recommend the x32.

How much higher up the price range do you have to go for the additional cost to be worth it? (ex is a $10k board that much better than a x32?)

Once you get to the $10k range you are in the GLD/Pro1 territory. I am not sure anyone has done a direct comparison between any of those and all seems perfectly good options if that is your budget. The GLD requires you to go with their digital snake system so i you wouldn't be able to use the existing copper snake...unless you only have 4 sources at which point I would get a Mixwiz and call it a day. :)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:59 AM »

If going Roland I recommend the M-300 over the 380. The 300 has better features.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

Does the x32 let you move something plugged into preamp 20 to channel 10(or 8 or any other channel)? Not really a problem either way; I'm just curious.(end edit)
It does - sort of.  Like most digital consoles you assign Inputs to the associated Channels on the mixer, however the X32 does this in multiple channel groups, groups of 8 for normal channels and 4 for aux returns.  For example, you could assign Input 1 on the console to Channel 1, 9, 17 or 25, but Input 2 would correspondingly be assigned to Channel 2, 10, 18 or 26, Input 3 would be Channel 3, 11, 19 or 27 and so on for the first 8 Inputs.  Similarly, FireWire/USB Inputs 1 and 2 could be assigned to Channels 25 and 26, but FireWire/USB Inputs 3 through 8 would then also have to be assigned to Channels 27 through 32.  The aux returns also have to be the first 4 related inputs, e.g. Inputs 1-4 on any S16 stage box.  So there is an ability to assign Inputs to Channels but only within the limitations of the 'block' assignments and not on an individual channel basis.

What would you consider defining being "worth it"?  If it was not worth it to some people then nobody would be buying those products while if it was worth it to everyone then they would all be buying those and there would be a limited market for lower cost mixers.  The fact that there is a market for both suggests that it can vary depending on the situation.

On the wireless microphones, how many you would be purchasing and how many (and what models) may already exist?  Are you looking for all handheld or all bodypack or some mix?  Do you have a preference on the microphone or capsule?  If you are looking at more than a couple of systems you may want to consider spending a bit more and looking at accessories such as antenna distribution.  You'd have to probably go up closer to the $500 to $700+ range per system to get into the Sennheiser ew100 or Shure SLX/ULX series that might be recommended.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.