ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USB Pre 2 48v issues  (Read 8600 times)

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
USB Pre 2 48v issues
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »

Quick question, I have a USBPre2 that I am borrowing from a friend until my Octa Capture ships. I have used this piece before and worked perfect. Now I cannot get the 48v light to illuminate. I have tried switching the dip switches both ways, tried plugging in a mic to see if it is just the LED, I also have re loaded the firmware with no luck. Is this a common issue?

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: USB Pre 2 48v issues
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 03:20:59 PM »

Quick question, I have a USBPre2 that I am borrowing from a friend until my Octa Capture ships. I have used this piece before and worked perfect. Now I cannot get the 48v light to illuminate. I have tried switching the dip switches both ways, tried plugging in a mic to see if it is just the LED, I also have re loaded the firmware with no luck. Is this a common issue?

Tom,
I use the original USB Pre quite often and have never experienced this.
Are you using it with the same computer and from the same port as when you used it previously?  It's possible that the port you are using is limiting the available current and it just can't do it (or maybe it's just broken)?

It may also be the case that the LED is not lighting but you do have Phantom being turned on and off.

Stabbing in the dark at this point but...

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »

Had something similar happen, updating firmware, not just software/drivers, fixed it. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »

I bit of a guess but not every USB port can supply full current, so if it is running from USB power alone the port may be punking out...  Of course if it worked with that computer port before and nothing has changed, but then again nothing changed and it worked before.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:07 AM »

Did some more work on this today. I updated the firmware again (there is no driver for the USB pre 2 for mac). The line inputs work perfect and show up in smaart, but none of the mic inputs work at all. Even plugging a dynamic mic will not pass signal. I have had the USB Pre 1 for years and this has never been an issue, I have a feeling it has to do with the new mac OS.

Adam Black

• Rational Acoustics
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »

By default the USBPre 2 doesn't have phantom power enabled. To enable it you have to flip a jumper. There is a jumper map on the bottom of the unit. The jumpers are on the back, behind the rubber plug.

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:32:32 PM »

By default the USBPre 2 doesn't have phantom power enabled. To enable it you have to flip a jumper. There is a jumper map on the bottom of the unit. The jumpers are on the back, behind the rubber plug.

Yup, in my original post I mentioned I tried flipping the dip switches both ways (phantom on and phantom off). Still no dice

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »

Did some more work on this today. I updated the firmware again (there is no driver for the USB pre 2 for mac). The line inputs work perfect and show up in smaart, but none of the mic inputs work at all. Even plugging a dynamic mic will not pass signal. I have had the USB Pre 1 for years and this has never been an issue, I have a feeling it has to do with the new mac OS.

I had not asked about Mac vs. PC before.  For the Mac have you tried to create an aggregate audio device? 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »

The line inputs work perfect and show up in smaart, but none of the mic inputs work at all. Even plugging a dynamic mic will not pass signal.

Could simply be blown up. I've lost the input stage to mine twice.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tom Hester

• Orange County, CA
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:21 AM »

Could simply be blown up. I've lost the input stage to mine twice.

What do you do to fix it? Send it to sound devices? That seems to be the issue here.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.