ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weight Room Infrared Setup Question  (Read 8010 times)

John Notestine

Weight Room Infrared Setup Question
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:56:56 AM »

Hi, I am new to Prosoundweb and need some help.

I have installed several LCD TV's in our schools weight room.  I am using an IOGear Wireless HDKit to transmit the signals from the source (a computer) to the LCD's-http://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT/  Everything works great-now I want to add better options for sound than what the TV's emit.  Ideally, I would like students to be able to plugin to receivers when using our treadmills.

I have access to an infrared system I think should work out well.

The system consists of a Williams Sound Mod 232 Modulator, one or several WIR TX9 Emitters, and several RX 12-4 Wireless Receivers.  Page 8 of this document shows the system:

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/7217-williams%20WIRSYS1cat.pdf

I would install the emitter (or multiple emitters) above the TV's, the Mod 232 can be hidden behind a TV. 

What is the best way to connect the LCD's to the Mod 232?  Do I want to use both Channel A & B for stereo mode?  Would unbalanced RCA out of the TV to 1/4" TRS in to the Mod 232 be the best option?  Would this cable work: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/411625.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=COKU6c6ih7QCFQmCQgodvicAKw

Also, how many Receivers can run off this system? 

Thanks!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Weight Room Infrared Setup Question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:53:01 AM »

Even understanding that you may have this equipment already available to you, I generally prefer to use a low power FM transmitter in a health club situation.  IR can work well in a HOW or other type situation where keeping the receiver oriented towards the emitter isn't a problem, but in an situation where the user is active and moving around, RF is the better answer.  And using the FM band means that the user is responsible for the procurement, upkeep and hygiene of their own personal receiver and headphone/ear buds.  It also lets them dictate the quality of the receiver they choose to use.  With a dedicated IR receiver, you get to absorb the costs maintaining an adequate supply of working receivers as well as keeping a supply of disposable headphones/ear buds replenished.  Here is an example of an RF/FM system made for your situation: 

http://www.supremeaudio.com/cgi-bin/lib/shop-wrapper.pl?page=sventertainer&shop=supreme2&cart=1311645.4404

Either system (IR or RF) would allow you to use an unlimited amount of receivers, however adding additional IR transmitters may pose a problem where as RF transmitters are limited by the number of open frequencies available at your location.  I would stay out of the 2.4 or 9 MHz stuff as once again you will be providing receivers.
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »

I agree with Lee's comments, requiring line-of-sight to operate and requiring you to provide the receivers can often be disadvantages in situations like yours.

As far as mono versus stereo, number of emitters, etc., what are you trying to do?  Is there just one audio source?  Is it mono or stereo?  How are the displays and listener area arranged?

How tied are you to the particular system you referenced?  For the packaged system noted the emitters can emit multiple channels with different carrier frequencies and the modulator in the packaged system noted can support two channels of audio input that can each be assigned a different IR carrier frequency.  However, while the bodypack style receivers in that package can select the channel to be received they apparently only receive one channel at a time, thus you could have two channels of audio but apparently can only listen to one at a time.  They label it as a courtroom system and in that application it might typically be used to carry one direct channel of the room audio for ALS along with a second language interpretation channel, with users being able to select which channel they listen to from the receiver.  That is two channel audio but not stereo audio.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »

Williams Sound is local here.  I've always found them to be helpful.  You can call them for assistance in connecting their products.

800-328-6190

If you have not already done so, you can download the manual(s) for the gear you're considering from their site.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Notestine

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 02:26:48 PM »

Thanks for the help. Sounds like an FM transmitter is the way to go. I like the idea of students being able to use their own FM radios. It's too bad that more of the new smartphones don't come with FM receivers.

Lee- The system you linked seems pretty expensive.  What do you think of this system? http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mw-500mw-Professional-Long-Range-Fm-Transmitter-CZH-05B-FAST-USA-SHIPPING-/160935357804?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item25787ead6c  It was suggested to me by a djforums member. 

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

I've typically used something like http://www.broadcastvision.com/products/wireless/fm-wireless/fm-transmitter/ or http://www.cardiotheater.com/products_wes.php for health clubs.  There is also http://wholehousefmtransmitter.com/shop/whole-house-fm-transmitter-2/, althugh I have never used it.  With all three, at least the FM versions, there are no licensing issues and people can use generic FM receivers.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:17:33 AM »

I work with a lot of youngsters, and I've yet to see one who has something that receives FM - that's for old people.  Why not just put a headphone amp on each treadmill?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »

I work with a lot of youngsters, and I've yet to see one who has something that receives FM - that's for old people.  Why not just put a headphone amp on each treadmill?
Wires are also for old people, it has to use WiFi or Bluetooth.  ;)

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »

+1 ... Anything beyond a simple and obvious place to plug in the earbuds they're already carrying isn't going to see much use in a school gym setting.

Keeping track of IR gear or expecting kids in 2013 to be carrying their own FM device is just not realistic. Provided that your content is more appealing then my personal device, chocked full of content I actually want to listen to, I'm still not going to remember to bring an FM receiver to a gym with me 99% of the time... The 1% when I do remember, I just won't care enough to bother.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

+1 ... Anything beyond a simple and obvious place to plug in the earbuds they're already carrying isn't going to see much use in a school gym setting.

Keeping track of IR gear or expecting kids in 2013 to be carrying their own FM device is just not realistic. Provided that your content is more appealing then my personal device, chocked full of content I actually want to listen to, I'm still not going to remember to bring an FM receiver to a gym with me 99% of the time... The 1% when I do remember, I just won't care enough to bother.

Just about every health club/gym I've done audio in, including several in the last year, has at least three monitors with FM transmitters in the cardio area.  If you want to hear what's going on the screen you gotta bring a radio.  It's a zero maintenance solution on the part of the facility owner.  Someday it may go to local network streaming with a small app for various mobile platforms to receive and select sources, but the user will still provide the choice of listening device.  The rest of the gym usually has house audio or you can always bring your Walkman, Discman or iPod (or whatever you crazy kids are using these days! ;) ) depending on which century your working out in.

Lee- The system you linked seems pretty expensive.  What do you think of this system?

Generally these transmitters are expected to have 24/7 duty cycle.  A brief search didn't turn up a web presence for the manufacturer.  If I can't get a manufacturer to warranty it, I won't sell it.  Dick and Brad's suggestions are also good ones and I can personally recommend Williams Sound as I use their products for assistive listening systems in many applications.  First rate customer service and tech support.  Stick with a company that has your back, not that you have to make excuses to your client for.
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »

What about phones that have integrated FM receivers?  And can you assume that people who forget to bring a radio will bring earbuds?

If wired audio distribution was not accomodated in the infrastructure and equipment then adding it could be a challenge.  It may also may have to be revised every time you move equipment or make other changes.  Then there is dealing with maintaining the hardware.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »

What about phones that have integrated FM receivers?  And can you assume that people who forget to bring a radio will bring earbuds?

If wired audio distribution was not accomodated in the infrastructure and equipment then adding it could be a challenge.  It may also may have to be revised every time you move equipment or make other changes.  Then there is dealing with maintaining the hardware.

I understand your points and don't disagree, I was simply offering my take on it as he's dealing with a school gym setup and not a commercial facility. Depending on the physical layout, a simple hardwired solution may be very easy to implement. If not, then more $$ and a more involved setup may be the only route.

I don't think every student will have earbuds, but earbuds are cheap and many more students can access them compared to a personal fm receiver. I suspect an installation contractor in the area should be consulted to see what the physical setup dictates would be the best route for this installation & budget.

I didn't mean to dismiss anyone else's ideas in favor of mine, I only intended to offer a more simple idea.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »

I didn't mean to dismiss anyone else's ideas in favor of mine, I only intended to offer a more simple idea.
No problem, I just find it ironic that some of the new technology seems to entail returning to old approaches.

I get a real kick out of the ads for wireless cable receivers where they make a big deal out of being able to move the TV anywhere and not being tied to the cable outlet.  What is ironic is that the same capability existed before there was cable, you could take a TV anywhere and receive broadcasts.  I remember people sitting as sports events 20 and 30 years ago watching the coverage of the game with no wires at all.  Or going camping and being out in the woods watching TV or listening to music.  So I'm not real impressed by the ability to do something that was already commonplace years ago.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.