ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Video Matrix suggestions  (Read 3343 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Looking for Video Matrix suggestions
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:26:32 PM »

I have a pretty good grasp on video, but my strong point is definitely audio.  I'm still in the design phase of a design/build project for a sports bar.  I will have 14 DirecTV sources, 1 PC source, possibly 1 BluRay source, and one input for a DJ to play videos (could be HDMI, maybe DVI, or even VGA?).  For displays we are looking at between 32-38 flat panels, one projector, and one monitor for the rack.  I don't need to send audio to the displays, but I DO need to be able to route audio from any source to a single analog input on a dbx ZonePro. 

An HDMI matrix seems very pricey for something this big, especially when you factor in all the Cat5/6 transmitters/receivers.  So far I'm leaning towards either a Component RGB matrix or modulating everything with ZeeVee or something similar.  Any alternatives I'm overlooking?  I see a lot of sports bars just put a DirecTV box at each display, but at $10/mo per receiver that's about $2400 a year down the drain.  Plus I've seen a lot of systems where the video gets out of sync from display to display, likely due to the set-top boxes tuning to different satellite transponders. 

Thomas Lamb

Re: Looking for Video Matrix suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »

The modulated approach really seems easiest. You'll only need to run RG6 to each TV it would also make it easy to change what tvs are tuned to what ch and even possibly insert some local "air" ch to all tvs. To me the big advantage though is no hdmi or baluns or if you did component you'll save a bundle in connectors and cable there too!
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:20:27 PM »

To me the big advantage though is no hdmi or baluns or if you did component you'll save a bundle in connectors and cable there too!
However analog component could also be a possible disadvantage.  Due to the Analog Sunset there would seem to be no HD analog component output for protected content from a Blu-Ray player and possibly no component outputs at all found on future Blu-Ray players.  It seems to mean converting any computer sources from VGA/RGBHV/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort to component with any related HDCP and EDID issues.  And DirecTV has apparently started using HDCP verification for premium HD content, there also seems to be discussion regarding their possibly limiting the component output to 540p for some content.  Basically, analog component may be a good short term solution but is it a good long term option?

If everything is HDMI and you can work with routing via a managed network switch then http://www.justaddpower.com/ might be an option.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  At this point I'm thinking the ZeeVee modulators are the best option, and of course I'll explain the drawbacks of component video.  According to this white paper http://www.zeevee.com/sites/default/files/Analog%20Sunset%202012.pdf none of the sports broadcasts should be affected by the Analog Sunset.  If they can accept the fact that they won't be able to show BluRay videos (which I don't believe they intend to, plus it would violate copyright laws to air them in a public place, for profit) then I will suggest ZeeVee.  Otherwise Just Add Power looks like a good option too. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.