ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PM5D file management  (Read 5116 times)

Brad Ferguson

• Brad Ferguson
PM5D file management
« on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »

Hey all,

Up until this time I've been blissfully ignorant when it comes to PM5Ds. I've been happy in my Digidesign and M7CL land.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death before, but what I'm looking for is a dummy's guide to dumping a file onto a PM5D.  As far as I'm aware (again, I'm pretty ignorant), I need a Compact Flash -> PCMCIA card reader.  Is that correct?

In a festival situation, should I have everything saved as libraries so I don't have to dump in an entire console file?

Any help/advice would be great.
Brad Ferguson
Tour Manager, Sound Engineer
http://www.bradferguson.ca

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: PM5D file management
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:54 AM »

Hey all,

Up until this time I've been blissfully ignorant when it comes to PM5Ds. I've been happy in my Digidesign and M7CL land.

I'm sure this has been discussed to death before, but what I'm looking for is a dummy's guide to dumping a file onto a PM5D.  As far as I'm aware (again, I'm pretty ignorant), I need a Compact Flash -> PCMCIA card reader.  Is that correct?

In a festival situation, should I have everything saved as libraries so I don't have to dump in an entire console file?

IIRC, libraries have to be linked to scenes.  I've not had to manage a 5D, though, so this could be an incorrect memory on my part.

Mac Kerr has extensive PM5D chops and will probably post a reply.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill Fuss

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »

Hey all,

If you have a pm5d show saved you want to use, the card/adapter will be very helpful, IF you have saved the show as a scene plus library file. If it is an ALL DATA file, the house guy will most likely not let you load your file in a festival situation.

Depending on dude mans chops, he can import just your scene of your all data file in a second instance of studio manager, just drag and drop. Make sure all the library numbers line up or you could end up using someone else's settings. Or even worse, overwriting someone else's data. It's relatively straight forward after you've done it a few times.
Remember there are four separate files you need for importing a scene. Scene data, HA data, input patch data, and output patch data.
One more important note, when you save your scene on the desk make sure you are set to overwrite and not new, and match up the library numbers with your scene number. Otherwise you can end up with a bunch of different libraries, and it will be difficult if not impossible to find the one you want to use.

Send me a p.m. if you need more help. Good luck.

edit: removed bad info
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:32:35 PM by Bill Fuss »

Bill Fuss

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »

If you have a pm5d show saved you want to use, the card/adapter will be very helpful, but not necessary, IF you have saved the show as a scene plus library file. If it is an ALL DATA file, the house guy will most likely not let you load your file in a festival situation.

Depending on dude mans chops, he can import just your scene of your all data file in a second instance of studio manager, just drag and drop. Make sure all the library numbers line up or you could end up using someone else's settings. Or even worse, overwriting someone else's data. It's relatively straight forward after you've done it a few times.
Remember there are four separate files you need for importing a scene. Scene data, HA data, input patch data, and output patch data.
One more important note, when you save your scene on the desk make sure you are set to overwrite and not new, and match up the library numbers with your scene number. Otherwise you can end up with a bunch of different libraries, and it will be difficult if not impossible to find the one you want to use.

Send me a p.m. if you need more help. Good luck.

On that. I cannot for the life of me understand why you can't open a scene+library in studio manager. What were/are they thinking?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:30:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.