ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Erratic LED flickering issue  (Read 11609 times)

Bill Hinds

Re: Erratic LED flickering issue
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »

I had a similar problem with Chauvet LED PAR Tri-B fixtures several weeks after the initial install. Turned out one fixture went bad (was replaced under warranty). Thankfully there were only 7 fixtures in the chain but drove everyone crazy for a while as it was in the middle.

How did you determine it was bad? Remove it from the DMX chain?

Bill Hinds

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »

Well, today I go to continue with the trouble shooting process and guess what? No flickering!  Tried everything to make it flicker but no luck. So, I guess I will wait for it to start back up again as I know it did not just fix itself.

Bill Hinds

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

Ok, here is a question.  Can a conventional dimmer cause noise onto the ground and create interference by getting into pin one on the DMX chain?  If so, what would could cause the dimmer to do this? I am starting to think this may be an electrical issue.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:41:03 PM by Bill Hinds »

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »

How did you determine it was bad? Remove it from the DMX chain?
Yep, just plugged the Dmx in and out cables together and bypassed it.
Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »

Ok, here is a question.  Can a conventional dimmer cause noise onto the ground and create interference by getting into pin one on the DMX chain?  If so, what would could cause the dimmer to do this? I am starting to think this may be an electrical issue.
Not likely the dimmer would electrically affect it but you might try checking the AC feed for proper hot/neut/gnd condition and/or feeding AC from a different source to the LED's. Stranger things have happened.
Scott Hofmann

Josh Daws

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »

Yep, just plugged the Dmx in and out cables together and bypassed it.

this is very possible. i came across an issue in a bar where there was a small voltage running across the building ground and was wreaking a lot of havoc. my fix was a DMX splitter, more specifically the DMX Splitter 4 from microh (they also have a rackmount model). these specifically isolate the DMX ground from the building ground, both isolating and boosting the DMX signal. whilst also allowing you to split out 4 DMX chains per universe.

Brett Gilbert

• Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

DMX optical isolators are always a good thing to have around to fix ground loop issues.  Also, some low-end LED fixtures are very very finicky about the DMX refresh rate.  I use Chauvet TRI-B fixtures and I'm really happy with them but initially I had issues with occasional flickers and flashes. I bought a Doug Fleenor DMX timing regenerator and they're flawless now.  Also, as a side benefit if the console goes down it will hold the last frame of DMX data that was active so you're not left in the dark.
Brett Gilbert

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.