ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Elation Opti QA par  (Read 9245 times)

Josh Daws

Re: Elation Opti QA par
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:56 PM »

it depends on what he's trying to do....for beam effects and cool 'rock show' type lighting, the tighter the beam the better....for a general stage wash you're right

if looking at rear lighting yes...i would agree..

James Feenstra

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »

FYI i am sooooooooooo hammered right now so i apologise if this makes no sense and i will do my best to fix any typos too...but im def not over generalising...the OP is saying an 18ft x 24ft stage...this would give some serious hot spots (from my experience) if you are looking to light up the stage from 20-30ft away (from the front) thats a different scenario and even then maybe. but if you are lighting this from the very front of the stage (in which is my assumption from my experience of most school environments) then you NEED a 30 something degree wash otherwise the hotspots will occur.

from my experience lighting has to do with (for front washing more specifically) to get as even light as possible...anyone to disagree with this??
I've seen 18'x26' stages with a trim of 40'...at 40' a 10 degree beam would be 7' wide by the time it hit the stage- more than ample as a wash as it covers roughly 1/3 of the stage

at a trim height of 10', the same fixture will only have a beam that's 1.7' wide, meaning it will take more fixtures for the same coverage, although you will have a much greater intensity at a closer distance than at a farther distance due to inverse square law (the same physics principle applies to audio...go figure).

it's about using the right tool for what you're looking for....if you're doing a single venue or venues that have a fixed trim height, you're generally ok buying a fixture that has a fixed beam angle as you can get close. if you're going into venues that have trim heights/throw distances all over the place, ultimately you want something that will zoom.

our go to LED par is the Microh LED Zoom Tri, which goes from 10-60 degrees and is comparable to a S4 par. I believe they retail in the $800 or so range, but I'm not certain on that.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Mark Olsen

• Canberra, Australia
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:04 AM »

Thanks Guys .. I've been on the road for a little while and I've only just may it back to this forum.

I want to thank you all for your input. I should have said up front that I'm from Oz so we don't necessarily have distributors for some of the brands you guys mentioned.

The other sad thing is that some of the lights that we get here in Oz from some distributors still have US flat blade plugs as the through, which just sucks over here because then I need all different cables. I guess this is why I liked the idea of powercon connectors because they are a little more international. I have seen a few with C13 / C14 pairs which might be even better again.

I particularly want to thank the guys that raised the dispersion angle spec on these lights, this was something that I just hadn't considered (which shows what a rookie I am). I do work in a wide variety of venues with multiple different trim heights etc so this is something I'll definitely have to look at. Maybe I'll keep the Opti QA par or the QW "white" version for rear effects lights and look for something different for front wash.

I kind of wanted just one type of fixture that could do a bunch of things, but maybe I'm asking too much. We have a fairly reputable dealer here in Oz for ETC so I might have to go for a drive and see what they have to offer.

Thanks Guys !!

Mark

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 08:55:39 AM »

FYI i am sooooooooooo hammered right now so i apologise if this makes no sense and i will do my best to fix any typos too...but im def not over generalising...the OP is saying an 18ft x 24ft stage...this would give some serious hot spots (from my experience) if you are looking to light up the stage from 20-30ft away (from the front) thats a different scenario and even then maybe. but if you are lighting this from the very front of the stage (in which is my assumption from my experience of most school environments) then you NEED a 30 something degree wash otherwise the hotspots will occur.

from my experience lighting has to do with (for front washing more specifically) to get as even light as possible...anyone to disagree with this??
Interesting disclaimer.  If honesty is the best policy, I guess you win.

You're over-generalizing because you're making assumptions that aren't true in the general sense.  A school I have spent a lot of time in has about a 50' throw from the catwalk, and the only places to put trees side stage makes 19 degree lekos seem awfully wide.

You also may not want an even wash.  I find that colored front lighting on the whole stage is underwhelming, but color uplighting on the backdrop is really cool, and provides a significant canvas to work from.  For this, narrow fixtures can also be good.

I'm not disagreeing that there aren't times when wider fixtures are better.  Keep in mind that it's a lot easier to make a narrow fixture wider - diffusion gel, etc. than to make a wide fixture narrower.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Interesting disclaimer.  If honesty is the best policy, I guess you win.

You're over-generalizing because you're making assumptions that aren't true in the general sense.  A school I have spent a lot of time in has about a 50' throw from the catwalk, and the only places to put trees side stage makes 19 degree lekos seem awfully wide.

You also may not want an even wash.  I find that colored front lighting on the whole stage is underwhelming, but color uplighting on the backdrop is really cool, and provides a significant canvas to work from.  For this, narrow fixtures can also be good.

I'm not disagreeing that there aren't times when wider fixtures are better.  Keep in mind that it's a lot easier to make a narrow fixture wider - diffusion gel, etc. than to make a wide fixture narrower.

^^^^

The whole reason I suggested narrow RGB's combined with a zoom RGBW(or A) fixture. The zooms can be used anywhere. The Narrows will always be used for effects and will be cheaper so you can buy more.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 03:39:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.