ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Par LED question  (Read 4112 times)

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
Par LED question
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »

I've installed a few Blizzard Lighting Rocklite AW lights in a church and have a few other quotes I'm working on for lighting.

I really like the brightness vs cost of the Rocklites but the fans seem to be awfully loud at more mellow times in a church service and there is a noticeable ringing sound from the dimmer board around 45-80% brightness.

My question is what are some comparable LED pars/pucks to the Rocklite AW/RGBAW in brightness that may produce less undesirable noise?

I've tried researching this on my own but can't find very consistent specifications on most manufacturers lights.

Any insights from your personal experiences would be appreciated.
Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Randall Hyde

Re: Par LED question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »

I've installed a few Blizzard Lighting Rocklite AW lights in a church and have a few other quotes I'm working on for lighting.

I really like the brightness vs cost of the Rocklites but the fans seem to be awfully loud at more mellow times in a church service
Yes, the fans are loud. Too bad about this. OTOH, better than having the LEDs burn out...

Better fans (quieter) would probably have raised the price quite a bit more. OTOH, they won't be much worse than AC noise...

and there is a noticeable ringing sound from the dimmer board around 45-80% brightness.
Do you mean your DMX controller board? This doesn't make sense and certainly shouldn't be caused by the Rocklite.  Or do you mean the circuit board inside the Rocklites?

My question is what are some comparable LED pars/pucks to the Rocklite AW/RGBAW in brightness that may produce less undesirable noise?
Somewhere around 20,000-25,000 lux @1m? Such LEDs are hard to come by for a reasonable amount of money!

I've tried researching this on my own but can't find very consistent specifications on most manufacturers lights.
Amen.
Wish they would give you lumens (lux at 1 sq meter) for all fixtures so you can compare the amount of light they put out. Lux, by itself, isn't very useful for *easily* comparing different fixtures.

Any insights from your personal experiences would be appreciated.
I love the rocklite RGBAW cans; but I do rock concerts so fan noise isn't an issue. OTOH, it *is* noticeable if nothing is going on.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

Yes, the fans are loud. Too bad about this. OTOH, better than having the LEDs burn out...

Better fans (quieter) would probably have raised the price quite a bit more. OTOH, they won't be much worse than AC noise...
Do you mean your DMX controller board? This doesn't make sense and certainly shouldn't be caused by the Rocklite.  Or do you mean the circuit board inside the Rocklites?
Somewhere around 20,000-25,000 lux @1m? Such LEDs are hard to come by for a reasonable amount of money!
Amen.
Wish they would give you lumens (lux at 1 sq meter) for all fixtures so you can compare the amount of light they put out. Lux, by itself, isn't very useful for *easily* comparing different fixtures.
I love the rocklite RGBAW cans; but I do rock concerts so fan noise isn't an issue. OTOH, it *is* noticeable if nothing is going on.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

I meant the dimmer circuit inside the light was noisy, one was noticeably louder than the others.  I was able to make a big improvement to this with some insulation inside the light around the circuit board.

Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 20 queries.