ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on investing in some new PA gear  (Read 24459 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Advice on investing in some new PA gear
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »

Okay, so I will keep looking primarily for a deal on a pair of QSC K12's, although I hope I wouldn't be losing too much if I find a deal on one of the brands considered comparable (or maybe the K10 model, it definitely does seem that QSC is very respected everywhere I've seen it listed). And then, with a pair of powered speakers, the setup would be to have the current power mixer running to the original passive PA speakers out of the powered outputs from the back, then use the main output on the front (shown here http://www.phonic.com/images/detailed/0/im-Powerpod740PLUS-front.jpg) to get a passive signal that the powered speakers can boost?

First, neither the 10's or the 12's will give you anything down low.  Mr Sovek's recommendation of a pair of PRX635's or mine for a pair of DXR15's would be a much better stand alone speaker setup than a pair of K10/K12's.  The difference between the first two solutions would be weight and price which would both be slightly better for the DXR15's.  Arguably the vocal clarity would be a little better with the 635's .... and they cost a little more (not much).

Second, from your pic of your mixer, use the RCA recording outputs to go to the left and right speakers.  In the case of the DXR15's (and QSC K's) there are actually RCA inputs.  I would likely get an RCA to XLR adapter myself and just run XLR cables from your mixer to the speakers.  That way you are using standard runs of XLR cables which you need to have spares around for anyway.  (mixer-> RCA to XLR adapter -> XLR cable -> Speaker).

DON'T USE THE MAIN OR MONITOR OUT!  Those are powered outputs and will likely ruin your powered speakers.

Finally,

Go listen to these speakers yourself.  All of them are easy to audition at your local guitar center.  I am pretty sure that once you hear them, you will hear the difference.  Don't take anyone's word for it.  Put it to the ear test ;)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 10:47:26 PM »

Okay, so I will keep looking primarily for a deal on a pair of QSC K12's, although I hope I wouldn't be losing too much if I find a deal on one of the brands considered comparable (or maybe the K10 model, it definitely does seem that QSC is very respected everywhere I've seen it listed). And then, with a pair of powered speakers, the setup would be to have the current power mixer running to the original passive PA speakers out of the powered outputs from the back, then use the main output on the front (shown here http://www.phonic.com/images/detailed/0/im-Powerpod740PLUS-front.jpg) to get a passive signal that the powered speakers can boost?

This setup was for a 3 pc rock band with triggered drums. the PRX535 has 90x50 horns, the K10 on pole is 90 Degrees. The system covered 180 degrees.  The K12's are on the floor in front.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

This was a benefit for an individual with stage 4 liver cancer. 

The speaker deployment was a case of making do with what I had with me. Even so there wasn't anything to complain about with sound quality.

I just want to acquire the means for wireless DMX control of the lights.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »

DON'T USE THE MAIN OR MONITOR OUT!  Those are powered outputs and will likely ruin your powered speakers.

WRONG. 

They are not powered outs.  They are for the purpose of connecting the mixer head to an outboard power amp or amps.  The speaker outs are on the rear of the unit, just like the Peavey, Mackie, Carvin and other units of that type. 

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:55 PM »

WRONG. 

They are not powered outs.  They are for the purpose of connecting the mixer head to an outboard power amp or amps.  The speaker outs are on the rear of the unit, just like the Peavey, Mackie, Carvin and other units of that type.

My bad.

From here: https://phonic.boxcn.net/s/9ec0d3532c59f49c03f9

10. Main Outputs
These jacks will output the final stereo line level signal sent from
the main mixing bus. The primary purpose of these jacks is to send
the Main output to external devices that may run in parallel with
the mixer. This may include additional power amplifiers, mixers,
PA systems, as well as a wide range of other possible signal
processors. Powerpod 740 and 780 models all feature monaural
main outputs.

I would still go with 1/4" to XLR converters and use an XLR cable to route the signal to the powered speakers so that the majority of the run would be using a shielded balanced cable.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:24 AM »

My bad.

From here: https://phonic.boxcn.net/s/9ec0d3532c59f49c03f9

I would still go with 1/4" to XLR converters and use an XLR cable to route the signal to the powered speakers so that the majority of the run would be using a shielded balanced cable.

The main and monitor outs on the front panel are both unbalanced (page 10 of manual).  A 1/4" to XLR adaptor won't balance the signal.  Nice thought, but it won't work.

The main out may be unbalanced TRS with L & R on T & R, at least that's what I inferred from the manual where it says 'stereo out' in one place and 'trs' in another.  Putting unbalanced stereo into an XLR cable and expecting a balanced mono signal on the other end ain't gonna work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:48:43 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

John Penkala

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »

First, neither the 10's or the 12's will give you anything down low.  Mr Sovek's recommendation of a pair of PRX635's or mine for a pair of DXR15's would be a much better stand alone speaker setup than a pair of K10/K12's.  The difference between the first two solutions would be weight and price which would both be slightly better for the DXR15's.  Arguably the vocal clarity would be a little better with the 635's .... and they cost a little more (not much).

Second, from your pic of your mixer, use the RCA recording outputs to go to the left and right speakers.  In the case of the DXR15's (and QSC K's) there are actually RCA inputs.  I would likely get an RCA to XLR adapter myself and just run XLR cables from your mixer to the speakers.  That way you are using standard runs of XLR cables which you need to have spares around for anyway.  (mixer-> RCA to XLR adapter -> XLR cable -> Speaker).

Finally,

Go listen to these speakers yourself.  All of them are easy to audition at your local guitar center.  I am pretty sure that once you hear them, you will hear the difference.  Don't take anyone's word for it.  Put it to the ear test ;)

At this point in the OP's career I would still recommend a pair of powered utility speakers like the K12 for a number of reasons. First and foremost, he will always use them. If he goes the way of buying a pair of speakers that can't be used as monitors such as PRX635's and starts putting other instruments besides vocals through them he will undoubtedly need a stage monitor to hear himself. Additionally, when you start adding sources to the mix, a mixer with a more comprehensible eq will be desired not to mention a dedicated house eq. I don't think he has the budget for that right now. If the "band" thing doesn't work out, as many of them don't, he could use the K12's for solo/acoustic work. If he leaves the band and works with another entry level band, he is very likely to use the K12's as monitors. If he wants a utility speaker with a 15" LF, that's okay too. However, I would not recommend a larger speaker at this point in his career.

JP

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »

At this point in the OP's career I would still recommend a pair of powered utility speakers like the K12 for a number of reasons. First and foremost, he will always use them. If he goes the way of buying a pair of speakers that can't be used as monitors such as PRX635's and starts putting other instruments besides vocals through them he will undoubtedly need a stage monitor to hear himself. Additionally, when you start adding sources to the mix, a mixer with a more comprehensible eq will be desired not to mention a dedicated house eq. I don't think he has the budget for that right now. If the "band" thing doesn't work out, as many of them don't, he could use the K12's for solo/acoustic work. If he leaves the band and works with another entry level band, he is very likely to use the K12's as monitors. If he wants a utility speaker with a 15" LF, that's okay too. However, I would not recommend a larger speaker at this point in his career.

JP

Completely agree.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:06 PM »

Completely agree.
To each his own guys.  The OP should go listen to the speakers and make his own determination. 

The DXR15 setup would allow the OP to put the kick into the mix which would make night and day difference in the sound.  The K12's would never be able to do that without adding subs which would cost much much more money.  Adding a pair of KW181's for instance, would cost the OP $2800.00 more... that is a total of more than 3 times his stated budget.  Adding in another pair of K12's for monitors .... another $1700.00.

Perhaps you were thinking about some other poster that had the question "What is the best FOH speaker system for around $7000.00"?

While it is always prudent to plan for the future, it is also silly to ignore the present.  Considering the level the OP's system is currently at, a pair of DXR15's and a kick drum mic would bring him so far up in the food chain that he wouldn't believe his ears.  IMHO, this rig could handle most small gigs with no problem and could put not only the vocals through the speakers, but the bass and kick as well.

In addition to all that, the DXR15 and K12 are very nearly the same weight (49 vs 41lbs).  The K12 is actually $50.00 more expensive per speaker.

As to the balanced/unbalanced discussion, I still think it wise to utilize XLR cables for the speakers via a 1/4" to XLR adapter.  This provides backup cables for the speaker connection cables should something go wrong with the XLR's since it is likely that he will have a few extra of these with him at the gig.  It also allows you to extend your range from the mixer to the speaker simply by putting another XLR in the line.

Chris Ditzler

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:14 PM »

So I've continued to get some opinions and research these different options, and while I'm fairly committed to going with powered speakers at this time, I still have a few things to consider. I've gotten a lot of recommendations to check out the QSC K12s, and I've been focusing on them the most since they're the only pair I've gotten a chance to hear and they're very well-reviewed everywhere that I've seen. However, I'm definitely thinking about the possibility that our drummer's electric kit will need to come through these speakers in some cases and that the keyboardist plays what are essentially bass parts at times (since we don't have an actual bassist), and with these two things in mind, it seems like getting 15" speakers might be more effective since we don't have subs.

A few people have also recommended the Yamaha DXR15s as a 15" option, which come in at a slightly lower price tag than the K12s but only 700 watts RMS compared to the K12's 1000. How big of a deal is wattage in this case, especially considering that their peak SPLs are both slightly above 130 db? That would seem to suggest they'll deliver a comparable amount of volume (that may in fact be overkill for any of the gigs we'll have in the foreseeable future - but frankly, that's the kind of system we want to have at this point), and if that thinking is correct, I think we would be very happy with the DXR15s if they're providing more bass and kick than the QSC's might be capable of. I'd like to find speakers that hang around the $800 range and both these K12s and DXR15s are there, but if it seems prudent to get 15" tops with drum and bass parts coming through, should I really expect a significant drop-off between the 700w DXR15s and some 1000w 15"s that cost closer to $1000 a speaker?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.