ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 BNC  (Read 4387 times)

David Parker

LS9 BNC
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:05:32 PM »

I've got a yamaha LS9 with the double adat card, and two 8 channel adat preamp units running off it. I'd like to add BNC cables to stabilize everything. Do I run a cable from the mixer to one of the units, and then from that unit to the other?

Patrick Moore

LS9 BNC
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »

Yes, all digital devices need to be clocked together in order to avoid audible digital artifacts.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: LS9 BNC
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »

I've got a yamaha LS9 with the double adat card, and two 8 channel adat preamp units running off it. I'd like to add BNC cables to stabilize everything. Do I run a cable from the mixer to one of the units, and then from that unit to the other?

You run a BNC from the WC out of the LS9 to the WC input of the first preamp. Use a "T" connector to connect to the first unit and continue on to the second unit. At the second unit use another "T" to connect to the preamp, and put a 75Ω terminator on the extra connection of the "T". Use 75Ω coax like RG59.

Set the preamps to clock from the WC input, not the ADAT input.

Mac

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 11:06:12 PM »

You run a BNC from the WC out of the LS9 to the WC input of the first preamp. Use a "T" connector to connect to the first unit and continue on to the second unit. At the second unit use another "T" to connect to the preamp, and put a 75Ω terminator on the extra connection of the "T". Use 75Ω coax like RG59.

Mac

Some preamps have internal termination.  If yours do, you might try disabling the termination on both preamps if you use the single external termination at the end of the chain as Mac suggested. 

Some people get by without disabling internal termination, and some preamps may not have a way to disable it without going inside the preamp and setting some jumpers, or in worse case actually removing a transistor.
Mark McFarlane

David Parker

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »

Mac

I've been having an occasional episode where I'll hear something come out of my rig that sounds like bass distortion feeding back. It lasts maybe 5 seconds or less and seems to go away on it's own. If I mute everything plugged into my expander it seems to go away, or maybe it just goes away at the same time I mute those channels. Could this be a result of timing getting out of sync? Also, my system will "spit" once or twice every gig. It's almost impossible to diagnose an event that is so short in duration and happens infrequently

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 10:20:39 AM »

I've been having an occasional episode where I'll hear something come out of my rig that sounds like bass distortion feeding back. It lasts maybe 5 seconds or less and seems to go away on it's own. If I mute everything plugged into my expander it seems to go away, or maybe it just goes away at the same time I mute those channels. Could this be a result of timing getting out of sync? Also, my system will "spit" once or twice every gig. It's almost impossible to diagnose an event that is so short in duration and happens infrequently

Bass distortion feeding back doesn't sound like a sync problem.   Spitting (or popping or crackling) does.
Mark McFarlane

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »

Bass distortion feeding back doesn't sound like a sync problem.   Spitting (or popping or crackling) does.

it's hard to describe what I referred to as "bass distortion feeding back". It comes from nowhere. It's like internal feedback. Does not sound like the kind of feedback that comes from a bass drum mic too hot.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.