ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use my computer as a stand-in for lights?  (Read 5721 times)

James Feenstra

Re: Can I use my computer as a stand-in for lights?
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »

The referenced illustration clearly shows a DMX console (ie his Behringer unit) connected to the interface as in INPUT device, which is then connected to the computer. As stated, I am assuming the software/computer would then show the output levels generated by the console, which he is trying to do. Yes, it is not the usual use for the interface as an OUTPUT device to dimmers or moving lights for levels generated by the computer.
it works as a dmx input does on most lighting consoles, where you can gain control of the input console through the other desk. You may be able to get some similar results through this, but it's a lot more hassle than it's worth just to see that fader 3 is at 25%

essentially what you'd be doing is controlling one console with another. it will all come down to if light factory lets you monitor channel output or not within the software, which it appears it can do so this may be a viable solution if all you want to see is channel levels.

Provided you know what channels of your fixtures do what this is a potential solution that will still cost $170 Usb/dmx interface) with no output from lightfactory.

It may not work as intended, however, and will still require full knowledge of lightfactory itself, and at that point you might as well use it for lighting control as it's more versatile than the behringer unit, considering for $100 you can get a 128 channel license and the usb/dmx interface required
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »

The original poster could buy a used Enttec on Ebay and use any number of free console software programs to mitigate the cost. I suspect he would soon move the Enttec device from input to output mode with his laptop. I do know that StageConsole software, for example, does work OK once you get used to it and has many more features than the low-cost hardware consoles.
Scott Hofmann

James Feenstra

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »

might as well just go chamsys at that point, considering it's a pro level desk and for the cost of a usb/dmx interface you get a fully functional 1 universe console.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.