ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I use my computer as a stand-in for lights?  (Read 5712 times)

Steven Welwood

Can I use my computer as a stand-in for lights?
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a product that will allow me to test a lighting controller apart from the rest of the system, using my laptop as a stand-in for the lights? My main objectives are to learn the workflow of the controller (it's not very intuitive), and set up scenes on the controller before the lights are set up.

I have seen DMX/USB interfaces, but they all seem to be for running a light show from the computer, kind of opposite of what I want to do.

Thanks.

Steven

James Feenstra

Re: Can I use my computer as a stand-in for lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »

I *think* what you're looking for is a visualizer, but I'm not 100% certain

if that's the case, there are several, and they're all expensive.

Some consoles (like GrandMA and Avolites) have their own built into the software, but they only work with their console.

The industry standard is Wysiwyg, which will run you ~$6000 + yearly subscription if you want the updates
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Steven Welwood

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »

Yes, I think this is what I was looking for, but I was hoping for something much more basic. I really don't need graphic modelling, just something to show me which channels are active as I adjust faders.

If these professional ones are the only level available, I guess I'll be waiting until the system is set up. Thanks anyway!

Steven

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

I assume you're not using anything fancy console wise, as even something simple like a hog 500 has an output window.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Steven Welwood

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:08:29 PM »

No, I'm using a Eurolight LC2412. It's my first attempt at it, but I think I've got it figured enough not to be worried about it. The manual is kinda confusing and the board is not intuitive at all, but with some trial & error I got some rough presets in it. The LED's on the flash buttons are slightly helpful as output indicators, I'll just have to wait to see if I've set what I think I've set!

James Feenstra

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:42:52 AM »

yeah, that's a pretty entry level desk....most visualization software is designed to be used for big rigs that you predesign and preprogram months in advance, and since it's pretty much full blown cad software, it's not cheap.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

You can check out the Enttec USB Pro DMX/USB interface, about $150. This link shows that it can be used as a DMX input dongle for a laptop running Lightfactory software. As I've never used the device for input, I don't know what you would see on the screen, but surely it would show the levels. Maybe someone else can help with that. http://www.enttec.com/datasheets/70304/DMX_USB_Pro%20Risers%2070304-2.pdf
You might consider looking at the other free virtual lighting consoles that work with this device, as I can pretty much guarantee they will be more powerful and easier to use than the Behringer unit.
Scott Hofmann

James Feenstra

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

You can check out the Enttec USB Pro DMX/USB interface, about $150. This link shows that it can be used as a DMX input dongle for a laptop running Lightfactory software. As I've never used the device for input, I don't know what you would see on the screen, but surely it would show the levels. Maybe someone else can help with that. http://www.enttec.com/datasheets/70304/DMX_USB_Pro%20Risers%2070304-2.pdf
You might consider looking at the other free virtual lighting consoles that work with this device, as I can pretty much guarantee they will be more powerful and easier to use than the Behringer unit.
what he's trying to do is use a computer in place of lights, not control lights with a computer...

this won't do what he's looking for. what he needs is a visualizer, which will not be cheap and is likely not worth buying for such an entry level desk.
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com

Stuart Pendleton

• Colonial Yorktown, VA
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:06:07 AM »

Have not used this version but for an entry level, it should be fine. (although at $365 it still probably cost more than the board did....)

http://www.capturesweden.com/Support/News/tabid/107/EntryId/23/New-Solo-Edition-released.aspx

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

what he's trying to do is use a computer in place of lights, not control lights with a computer...

this won't do what he's looking for. what he needs is a visualizer, which will not be cheap and is likely not worth buying for such an entry level desk.

The referenced illustration clearly shows a DMX console (ie his Behringer unit) connected to the interface as in INPUT device, which is then connected to the computer. As stated, I am assuming the software/computer would then show the output levels generated by the console, which he is trying to do. Yes, it is not the usual use for the interface as an OUTPUT device to dimmers or moving lights for levels generated by the computer.
Scott Hofmann

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.