ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound  (Read 24934 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 02:30:36 AM »

Welcome back Kenny, now we can discuss important stuff like the best cowbell, kick, harmonium, glockenspiel mic...

Kenny Deal

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:11 PM »

So, It's been awhile. Funny....I basically pulled my ad and didn't want to do this anymore after working for that band back in Nov and I have had 2-3 jobs a month since I scaled down and work fairly consistently with 2-3 bands regularly. I am booked as much as I want to be till Sept.
Small jobs that most guys would probably turn away but I am having trouble physically so small jobs are all I want to do. Have not had one single problem since that night in November. I actually did a job Sat night at a campground and stayed there as well although the weather kinda stunk.
I have started wearing ear plugs though. Funny when I do these jobs I don't drink because it's my feeling that I am working for the band and not there to get hammered but yet I feel like I was out all night boozing anyway the next day. Headache etc. Since I used ear plugs...headaches are gone.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

talk about cramming. I had to do sound for 3 bands in a friggin hallway...lol
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93097302@N08/8848616419/in/photostream/

and yes, I had to leave access to the POS system...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93097302@N08/8848592163/

Kenny Deal

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

How is this for a sound towing rig ??
lol
You can barely see my trailer behind it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93097302@N08/8848745645/

The campground towed my trailer up to the pavilion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93097302@N08/8849396440/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:53:18 PM by Kenny Deal »

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

Kenny

I just saw this topic and wanted to share my story.

We have all had these crappy gigs. 
The first real pro gig I mixed for was very hard. Got a little flustered and said I did not want to mix pro stuff again.    Later on that year I had a major wireless malfunctioning system for a high end Christmas drama the first night of a two night gig.  But this time I got flustered during the gig but as soon as it was over I cleared my head and turned to my colleagues for help. And with their help and my keeping cool and finding the solution the second night went flawlessly.   Moral of the story keeping cool is key. And you were working to cheep.
Hey Y'all watch this

Kenny Deal

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2013, 11:51:25 PM »

lol...cheap isnt the word..borderline charity.
I make more money on the small jobs now.
There is just no money in it around here. Not with bar bands. You either gotta take it to a pro level and do REAL sound for REAL acts or work for nothing doing crapholes like I was doing.
 I got over the Nov gig. I know what went wrong.
Me:
had the flu on all kinds of bad Rx meds. Should have cancelled the job.
Got flustered too easily as a result and overlooked obvious. Also should have been more assertive with band concerning Stage Volume
Band:
Completely unprofessional attitudes. OUT OF CONTROL
stage volume.
Expectations way too high for what they wanted to pay.
The drummer was the main problem and he thought he was Animal form the Muppets. The singer was covering her ears he was so loud and then complains she can;t hear the monitors...really ??
I still do sound for one rock band but they are much more professional and they for the most part keep stage volume real. If they get too loud and I tell them turn down, they do.
I actually did a Hard rock heavy metal band. I knew the drummer so I did it as a favor but would not do it again. Nice guys. First two songs were rough because the singer showed up 2 mins before showtime and they went on with no sound check but he knew it and had no prob.
The reason I would not do it again s they were way too loud. Deafening. Also I won't do sound for bands that play stuff like Rage against the Machine, etc. I personally like hard rock...but these are small crapholes with no real security and I don't need my equipment destroyed by a bunch of punks in a moshpit nor do I need to get sued when a speaker falls on someone. No thanks. Give me oldies and country music. What a difference...No stress at all.
I would love sometime in my life though to tag along to a real sound job like at an arena and see it all on a pro level. I can't imagine how one guy can keep control over all that...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:54:26 PM by Kenny Deal »

Zachary Zimmerman

• Shenandoah, VA USA
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »

I would love sometime in my life though to tag along to a real sound job like at an arena and see it all on a pro level. I can't imagine how one guy can keep control over all that...

One guy does not its a team effort.  Monitors are done separate from FOH. And the bands you work with know how things work and have reasonable expeditions. The information that is gathered ahead of time is mostly correct. Your received stage plots patch lists etc. The team all know the "drill".

There is a huge difference between bar gigs and real sound jobs. (Not knocking and bar guys) the equipment is on a whole different level. And 175 will maybe pay for fuel.
Hey Y'all watch this

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 01:03:21 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 2.074 seconds with 24 queries.