ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound  (Read 25131 times)

Kenny Deal

Re: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

The other thing is liability. The place was packed last night and all I kept thinking is I should have strapped the speakers down better. What if one falls on somebody. I am an individual not a corp. I carry liability insurance but you never know how good it is until you make a claim and find out the incident needed to happen at 12:01:39 on a full moon and over 32 deg f...:)

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »

A job like that should pay min 250$.

There is no job out there that I would do for $250.  My minimum price is more than double that. 

Regardless of the pricing, you need to keep practicing to get better.  Once you have confidence then these bad gigs will happen a lot less often and with experience you'll be able to recognize the bad ones before you take the gig, saving you the frustration of actually taking them.

Brian Larson

I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »

You need to charge more. Even in my first year doing this I wouldn't do a bar gig for less than $450 and that was when I had NO IDEA what I was doing. Seriously, keeping your cool is 90% of this business.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »

There is no job out there that I would do for $250.  My minimum price is more than double that. 

Regardless of the pricing, you need to keep practicing to get better.  Once you have confidence then these bad gigs will happen a lot less often and with experience you'll be able to recognize the bad ones before you take the gig, saving you the frustration of actually taking them.
That is pretty much the problem around here. these bar bands don't make that much and 175 seems to be the going rate around here. That is why I make more money using a small powered mixer and the stuff fits in my car vs having to pay for a Van and expenses.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »

don't give up so easy. Stick with it. Unless someone is hurt or dead because of your actions don't let one lousy band ruin your ride.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »

That is pretty much the problem around here. these bar bands don't make that much and 175 seems to be the going rate around here. That is why I make more money using a small powered mixer and the stuff fits in my car vs having to pay for a Van and expenses.

$250 is what one should receive for bringing the following:

Board tape
Sharpie
Headphones

That weeds out the s*** stuff.

Well, most of it...........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Kenny Deal

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

Board tape
Sharpie
Headphones

Oh man...you are making me cry laughing. You are so right...
But alot of guys do it as cheap as i did. For me wasnt a big deal because That was still more than I made doing it for my own band and playing besides but of course I never played in the band for the money, I did it for the love of doing it.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Board tape
Sharpie
Headphones

Sign me up! I bring that plus mics and dis (radial, shure, audix, sennheiser) for a lot less.  I honestly haven't met anyone or myself got a gig that was walk in for 250.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Kenny Deal

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »

I think if I ever considered doing this again I wuld want to work side by side sort of apprentice with a pro. That is the way to learn. I have had some good gigs too though. I did an oldies band a few weeks ago. what a difference. went very smooth. The band showed up late and I had to fly with no sound check and still didnt have any of the problems of last night.
These guys were so easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSw7ZAawusQ&list=UUdb5JicXJ6rEUlfnbrRy3Iw&index=4&feature=plcp

Kenny Deal

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.