ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound  (Read 20464 times)

Kenny Deal

Re: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »

From my little bit of experience it seems you need to get the monitors right before the set begins. If they are not right it is very difficult to re eq them while the band is playing. Is this correct ? I went out several times and tipped the monitor over so I could hear it and could not hear over the stage volume of the band. I mean the fact that the girl was covering her ear because of the drummer's volume means something no ?

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 08:45:56 pm »

That is pretty much the problem around here. these bar bands don't make that much and 175 seems to be the going rate around here. That is why I make more money using a small powered mixer and the stuff fits in my car vs having to pay for a Van and expenses.

First, as others have said-I don't walk out the door for that kind of money.

Second, if I do(and it does happen for the occasional charity function that I like to contribute something), I'd never show up with a lunch box mixer and the typical gear associated at that level-I'd only be hurting my bottom line ability to do a good job.

You should have shown up with something better.

I won't hesitate to fiddle with eq and gain if that's what's needed-there are far too many musicians who tip toe through sound check, only come out roarin' for the first set.  Next time you mix them, you'll know. 

Also, if the drummer is that damn loud, I'm at least going to try and diplomatically explain this problem, with the band present.  If they don't get it, be nice, cash the check, and make notes for next time....or be conveniently "booked" with another gig when they call to hire you.

Best regards,

John

Kenny Deal

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »

I used a 16:2 Mixwiz. I realize that is the low end of stuff but for small bands like my own it has served me pretty good. I had her mon mix on it's own send/eq. I use rane and Ashley Eq's. I have Crown PB3 for the monitor amps. The FOH mix was fine. the issues were Monitors.
Funny thing is I gave her a Yamaha 15 wedge. I think the 12 inch ones sound better myself. maybe I should have done that. I ended up swapping them around second set and gave her 1 mix with 2 JBL Powered monitors Side by Side. She was also a good 3-4 ft back from the monitor. The whole stage layout was wrong IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:57:04 pm by Kenny Deal »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »

From my little bit of experience it seems you need to get the monitors right before the set begins. If they are not right it is very difficult to re eq them while the band is playing. Is this correct ? I went out several times and tipped the monitor over so I could hear it and could not hear over the stage volume of the band. I mean the fact that the girl was covering her ear because of the drummer's volume means something no ?

Hi Kenny-

I feel for you, brother.  Your experience is one of the reasons I haven't done a bar gig since 1999... well, okay, just ONE and that was a favor to the band.  My guys were nice, but still had the wireless vocal mic feedback issues, stupid loud stage volumes from one player, then another (they seemed to alternate), and a severely compromised performance space.  I did the best I could, the band was sufficiently happy they asked me back (I was a substitute) and I didn't leave with any new battle scars - but I don't wish to do it again because I don't feel I delivered the kind of results I'm capable of and that I was shortchanging my client.

The real issue with getting anywhere near a decent monitor check is if you have the time and the band plays like they will at show time.  Fat chance.  SOMEBODY sandbags the sound check, always.

Another aspect is that "loudest sound at the mic, wins" and that means all the drums and guitars are getting into the vocal mic.  More vocals for Little Missy?  Sure thing, just tell me how much drums you'd like with it.

This band clearly sucks and scapegoats the poor soundguy/gal.  Avoid them and anyone else that has a reputation for out of control stage levels and unprofessional behavior.  Life is too short to suffer fools politely.

Is there more you could have done?  Probably, but that's not the point.  These assholes are toxic and want to blame everyone but themselves.

Kick back, watch some TV, build a ship in a bottle, take your significant other on a "date".  Time will heal this wound.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Kenny Deal

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 09:19:23 pm »

Thanks Tim.
BTW Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !!

Kenny Deal

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »

Just thought of something funny. the gig I cancelled on them in a few weeks was at  very small place in hartford. I feel really sorry for the poor guy that takes that job. In fact I want to go sneek in incognito just to see how the soundguy handles them. Maybe I could learn something or maybe I'll just see that it wasn't me as much as I think.

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »

Don't give up Kenny. It seems like you really care about doing a good job. By the sounds of it that band did not deserve your support. Every so often I will get stuck with a gig like this.  It is usually an irritating and uncomfortable situation. You can look at it as a character building experience.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:30 pm »

It definitely taught me to look at the size of the room/stage vs demands of the bands stage plot. that reminds me. I specifically asked for the stage plot the day before and went by what they gave me then the drummer tells me it's wrong after I had everything setup.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 09:51:50 pm »

Just my 2 cents.

Kenny judging form your first post you don't seem to be confident in yourself and that would make me assume that your not confident in yourself in person and other people see that.  Musicians are animals man you need t take charge and tell them what needs to happen.  They hire you to do a job and trust your judgement right out of the gate.  If you don't carry yourself with that confidence they are expecting they will chew you up and spit you out.

Like someone else already said we all have had those nights.  If you get into that situation again.  Stop take a min go out side collect your thoughts and take charge.  Always remember the band wants you to take charge.  They may not know it but that is why they hired you in the first place.

I have had gigs with people like the drummer described.  You need to let those people know that you are making a decision and it is the best for the band and all parties involved.  If they don't like your microphone change then you need to stop them and regain that wireless they insist on using or whatever the situation calls for. 

WE DONT CALL IT COMBAT AUDIO FOR NOTHING!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:56:04 pm by Brian Wynn »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »

Just my 2 cents.

Kenny judging form your first post you don't seem to be confident in yourself and that would make me assume that your not confident in yourself in person and other people see that.  Musicians are animals man you need t take charge and tell them what needs to happen.  They hire you to do a job and trust your judgement right out of the gate.  If you don't carry yourself with that confidence they are expecting they will chew you up and spit you out.

Like someone else already said we all have had those nights.  If you get into that situation again.  Stop take a min go out side collect your thoughts and take charge.  Always remember the band wants you to take charge.  They may not know it but that is why they hired you in the first place.

I have had gigs with people like the drummer described.  You need to let those people know that you are making a decision and it is the best for the band and all parties involved.  If they don't like your microphone change then you need to stop them and regain that wireless they insist on using or whatever the situation calls for. 

WE DONT CALL IT COMBAT AUDIO FOR NOTHING!!!

I've got one band that I've had to put up with once a year for 6 years now.  Excellent lead guitar player, but TFL.....and the drummer can match him.  This year I just set up 3 vocal mics instead of miking the amps (2 gtrs, keys, bass and blues harp) and the kit.  I explained to them that I got everything with just the vocal mics.  I wonder if they really got the message.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 10:01:57 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.