ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound  (Read 20462 times)

Kenny Deal

I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:35 pm »

Hey Guys, Just wanted to say thanks for the help I have gotten here in the past,. I did a job last night that turned into a complete disaster. The drummer was an asshole and After the 1st set I offered them their money back so I could just pack up and go. It started out on a small stage, 5 piece band. Bass drums two gtrs Girl lead vox as well as drum vox and one gtr vox. I had no problem with the guys but the girl kept complaining she could not hear herself. I pushed the monitors to the point where I could not control the feedback. The stage volume was beyond ridiculous. The drummer was so friggin loud that the singer was covering her ear by the third set. How the hell can I compete with that ? And then they are yelling at me telling me it's my fault and I don't know what I am doing. First off when we did the sound check she was using a Senhieser wireless and I told them the gain was way too high. it was actually distorting her vox. they dropped it some but then the show began they all played way louder than sound check and when I tried to bring her up it just fed back. I even went up and one point and tested the mic and I could hear myself . She had a very thin voice. They wanted 4 monitor mixes from a portable sound system.The two gtr players were fighting over who should be louder in the monitor mix for them so I gave a 4th mix just for the singer/gtr player. I forgot my drum claws which made me look like an ass. Luckily I had 4 of those cheap clothes pin ones to get by with . That was a sign of a night to come. Then I tried to swap her mic out halfway through the 1st set with a 58 but thy were bitching about what she sounded like in the monitors. What was I supposed to do ? I had eq'ed her mix for the Sennhieser and now I could not re eq it while they were playing. especially with that stage volume. It was so loud It way overpowered the PA.The drummer had just gotten the drumset and it was giving me a mid-range feedback I could not seem to get rid of. I actually switched Mics from the 112 to a cheap CAD I had and it sounded better. I have never dealt with a band that played so loud. The drummer was calling me obscenities and told me I'd never work again and he would black ball me. well I felt completely incompetent after that and all I wanted to do was just go home. I knew then I was done. all this for 175$ ?? ON thanksgiving eve no less ? I sat in 2 hrs traffic to get there and they gave me a check besides.
Nope, I'm finished. lot of it had to do with them but I also cracked under pressure and I never want that feeling again. I have done sound in that room a few times with my own band and had NO problems but I obviously don't have what it takes under tough conditions. You should have seen all the crap they wanted in the monitors. What was I thinking when I took this job ??
It's just not worth it.
Anyway thought I'd share that disaster.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:31:30 pm by Kenny Deal »

Kenny Deal

Re: I'm done...Retiring from Live Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 07:25:56 pm »

Also right on thier stage plot it had to put an extra Sm58 for her as backup. When I asked them why they told me her mic has caused feedback city as they called it. It was not setup properly and the moron drummer had no idea what he was doing with it.
She did say it was better in the 2nd and 3rd sets once I re configured the monitors and re eq'ed them but i was so stressed out by then I just didn't care anymore. I still had to ride her gain to the point of feedback to try and compete with the stage volume. Honestly I have dealt with loud bands before but never anything like this. everythig was wayy too loud.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »

Also right on thier stage plot it had to put an extra Sm58 for her as backup. When I asked them why they told me her mic has caused feedback city as they called it. It was not setup properly and the moron drummer had no idea what he was doing with it.
She did say it was better in the 2nd and 3rd sets once I re configured the monitors and re eq'ed them but i was so stressed out by then I just didn't care anymore. I still had to ride her gain to the point of feedback to try and compete with the stage volume. Honestly I have dealt with loud bands before but never anything like this. everythig was wayy too loud.

This, too, shall pass........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:34:06 pm »

Eat turkey, wait 1 week, cross them off of your list, and get back to work. Everyone has one of those nights, and you just had yours. Like Dick said, this too shall pass.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »

Thanks. I realize it wasn't all my fault but I just cracked and could not handle it.That is the difference between a pro and an amateur The only reason I did sound was as a filler when my band wasn't gigging but since my band broke up I have no desire to do this anymore. A job like that should pay min 250$.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:39:49 pm »

Funny thing is you would think the girl would be the bitch right ? She was very nice and apologetic for the drummers behavior. I suggested to her for her own benefit to invest in an IEM system so she can save her voice and hearing playing with that band.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 07:40:12 pm »

Thanks. I realize it wasn't all my fault but I just cracked and could not handle it.That is the difference between a pro and an amateur The only reason I did sound was as a filler when my band wasn't gigging but since my band broke up I have no desire to do this anymore. A job like that should pay min 250$.
Sorry Kenny! I'm with Dick & Bob, but I think one can't get paid enough for a gig like that... Yikes! Was it just a pick-up thing, or did you know about the band beforehand?

Kenny Deal

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 07:43:32 pm »

I did have another show booked with them which I cancelled at the end of the night. If I do anything I may just keep doing small jobs with my 8 channel and powered FOH. I make more money with that and it's way easier to move and setup. I am getting old and lugging all this gear around is taking it's toll.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 07:44:08 pm »

Sorry Kenny! I'm with Dick & Bob, but I think one can't get paid enough for a gig like that... Yikes! Was it just a pick-up thing, or did you know about the band beforehand?
I met them at another Job I did over the summer.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »

I did have another show booked with them which I cancelled at the end of the night...
Good idea!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 23 queries.