ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB audio interface randomly gives blue screen parity error  (Read 3189 times)

David Allred

USB audio interface randomly gives blue screen parity error
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:06:01 AM »

Though this is use for DJ work, I also use this for corporate type events and misc programs with singing to tracks. I have been really lucky that the shutdown has never happened during anything that would embarrass anyone but me.  I have been fighting this problem 2 years, thinking it was a glitch in my used laptop.  As it turns out, it only started after I stopped using the headphone jack and purchased a Native Instruments "Audio 2 DJ" interface.  The shutdown occurs at random times.  Sometimes 45 mins, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes many hours.

I just recently discovered an updated driver that was supposed to fix this, but I still have the problem.  (Hopes shattered).

I ran Memtest 86 multiple time and no memory problems found.

I have a cd (DVD) player in my rack, but it is so easy to import all the backing tracks into the laptop and not have to fool with multiple discs during the program.

I realize this is an item specific problem, and I have been to the Native Instr site and forum, but it is really disfunctional over there and I am hope someone is also using this product.  Windows XP and Traktor Duo.

Thanks.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: USB audio interface randomly gives blue screen parity error
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »

Though this is use for DJ work, I also use this for corporate type events and misc programs with singing to tracks. I have been really lucky that the shutdown has never happened during anything that would embarrass anyone but me.  I have been fighting this problem 2 years, thinking it was a glitch in my used laptop.  As it turns out, it only started after I stopped using the headphone jack and purchased a Native Instruments "Audio 2 DJ" interface. The shutdown occurs at random times.  Sometimes 45 mins, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes many hours.

I just recently discovered an updated driver that was supposed to fix this, but I still have the problem.  (Hopes shattered).

I have a cd (DVD) player in my rack, but it is so easy to import all the backing tracks into the laptop and not have to fool with multiple discs during the program.

I realize this is an item specific problem, and I have been to the Native Instr site and forum, but it is really disfunctional over there and I am hope someone is also using this product.  Windows XP and Traktor Duo.

Thanks.

While this coincidence would seem to indicate a problem with the interface module, you cannot totally rule out a laptop fault.  If the problem was indeed associated with the USB device and they issued a fix, then that would be strike two on the NI piece.

I'd just bite the bullet and get another device.  ART, Alesis, Peavey and others make fine, trouble-free USB interfaces for under $100.  The Peavey product does not require a driver and should work with any computer straight out of the gate.  It sells for $60.

Get yourself one that works and keep the NI unit for a (somewhat reliable) backup.  Peace of mind for under $100.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »

Though this is use for DJ work, I also use this for corporate type events and misc programs with singing to tracks. I have been really lucky that the shutdown has never happened during anything that would embarrass anyone but me.  I have been fighting this problem 2 years, thinking it was a glitch in my used laptop.  As it turns out, it only started after I stopped using the headphone jack and purchased a Native Instruments "Audio 2 DJ" interface.  The shutdown occurs at random times.  Sometimes 45 mins, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes many hours.

Thanks.

Extensive collection of free diagnostic software here:  http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

Have someone familiar with hard drive diagnostics walk you through checking the hard drive.

In windows manager / event viewer (assuming it's a windows OS) / windows logs / system  if you have a lot of disc errors, that mat well be the problem.

If there are many errors in the application log then conflicting software/programs may be the problem.

Then again... you could also just try a new USB cable.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

I'd just bite the bullet and get another device.  ART, Alesis, Peavey and others make fine, trouble-free USB interfaces for under $100.  The Peavey product does not require a driver and should work with any computer straight out of the gate.  It sells for $60.

What he said. Get a driverless interface. The Peavey is OK and less than $60, the Duck's Echo/Black Dog is very good and $140. both are very reliable.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

Parity errors are seldom software generated and usually the result of a failed or failing chip, and/or a poorly written driver or software call. The reason you may not have run into this issue before is because your new hardware and driver combo is probably looking for or at a memory address seldom used by your current installation of programs and drivers. Your new driver could also be looking for an area of memory that doesn't exist at all.

Prior to throwing in the towel take the time to ;

1. Upgrade the machine BIOS and firmware to the manufacturers latest revision levels.
2. download the latest driver(s) from the manufacturers web site.
3. Patch the OS to the latest service pac or update.

Good luck.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »

Behringer UCA202, driverless and only costs $30.  (Get put a piece of tape over the logo if it bothers you.)  I bought one 2 years ago as a backup but found it to be more reliable than my "brand name" USB sound card which requires a driver.  I'd guess about 40 gigs on it with no problems and it sounds great.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:03:42 PM »

Behringer UCA202, driverless and only costs $30.  (Get put a piece of tape over the logo if it bothers you.)  I bought one 2 years ago as a backup but found it to be more reliable than my "brand name" USB sound card which requires a driver.  I'd guess about 40 gigs on it with no problems and it sounds great.

Glad it worked for you.  I tried a couple of them and they both buzzed......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »

I reinstalled the latest driver.  So far, it has run all afternoon and through the night.  I restarted this morning.  The first driver update, the interface was connected (I didn't see the note to make sure it wasn't connected).  Hope that was the glitch. 
The other inexpensive interfaces, I believe, don't offer 2 stereo outputs for cueing. 
Thanks for all the hardware checks and alternate solutions to my problem.  Maybe this thread will be useful to others in the future.

Thanks,
David

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.