ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How woud you connect these two subs?  (Read 3551 times)

Jeffery Foster

How woud you connect these two subs?
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

Hi all,

I have two EAW 528 subs. Each box contains two 18" drivers.  The previous owner jerked with the wiring and it is a mess.  I would like to re-do the wiring from the input connector up.

I'm powering the two boxes with a QSC MX-2000a, a two channel amp which provides 650W per side at 4 ohms.

It seems like I would want to connect the two drivers in each box in parallel to create a four ohm load, then run one channel to each box.  There are currently a male and a female 4-pin amphenol connector on each box.  I don't mind changing back to an NL4 if i needed to.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: How woud you connect these two subs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »

Hi all,

I have two EAW 528 subs. Each box contains two 18" drivers.  The previous owner jerked with the wiring and it is a mess.  I would like to re-do the wiring from the input connector up.

I'm powering the two boxes with a QSC MX-2000a, a two channel amp which provides 650W per side at 4 ohms.

It seems like I would want to connect the two drivers in each box in parallel to create a four ohm load, then run one channel to each box.  There are currently a male and a female 4-pin amphenol connector on each box.  I don't mind changing back to an NL4 if i needed to.

Thank you in advance for your opinions.
That would be the best way.

Now whether you use pins 1 or pins 2, depends on your system wiring setup.  For example do you want to run passive tops-and run a 4 cond cable to the sub and jump up to the tops.  or run individual cables to the subs and the mains.

Jsut something to consdier.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:32:02 PM »

Definitely ditch the amphenol and use the Neutrix.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jeffery Foster

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:58:38 AM »

Definitely ditch the amphenol and use the Neutrix.
Certainly.  Since I'm only running one amp side per box, am I correct that I will only need two of the four Neutrik pins actually wired?
And along those lines, the output connector on the cab is now worthless, right? The cab is now at four ohms so I don't see daisy chaining any together.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 07:29:01 AM »

Certainly.  Since I'm only running one amp side per box, am I correct that I will only need two of the four Neutrik pins actually wired?
And along those lines, the output connector on the cab is now worthless, right? The cab is now at four ohms so I don't see daisy chaining any together.

Thank you for your thoughts!
The "output" connector could be used to jump to your top cabinets-IF you used a 4 cond cable and IF the tops are passive.

If neither of these is the case-then it is almost worthless.  HOWEVER-in the event of emergency-and one amp channel should die-then you could easily (if the cables were long enough) jump the 2 cabinets together much easier than trying to get both cables on the back of the amp-depending on the connections used.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Marra

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »

For my SP218 subs I used 4-conductor wire and ran them in the configuration that then gave each driver it's own pair of conductors from the amp to the driver itself.  The NL4 connector of the SP218 allows that configuration - still 4 ohms, but each driver gets it's own physical 12g wire.  At the amp I used another NL4 socket and ran four individual 12g wires to the back of the screw connectors (QSC).
Kingdom Sound, LLC
Milford NH

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.