ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?  (Read 17003 times)

Michael Kurczeski

anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?
« on: November 19, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »

hey all. does anyone know of a way to hardwire an ipad to any console that offers ipad controal via a wifi wireless router? in otherwords, lets say i have a job where leaving the console behind the stage and running it via an ipad out front is ideal, but i want a backup plan in case the wifi is unreliable. is there a way to run a usb or ethernet cable to the foh position and connect the ipad if needed?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:34:21 AM by Michael Kurczeski »

Dave Bednarski

Re: anyway to hardwire an ipad to a console?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »

but i want a backup plan in case the wifi is unreliable.

If wifi reliability is the concern - why not (or a absolute required best practice) eliminate unreliable wifi?  I carry 3 routers.

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »

If wifi reliability is the concern - why not (or a absolute required best practice) eliminate unreliable wifi?  I carry 3 routers.
still too risky. i want a sure fire way to connect the ipad if needed. There is a college that i work at in particular where i know that wifi is not possible as theres just too many wifi-routers in the vacinity. in that case, id say eliminating unreliable wifi is not possible.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:55:08 AM by Michael Kurczeski »

Josh Billings

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

still too risky. i want a sure fire way to connect the ipad if needed. There is a college that i work at in particular where i know that wifi is not possible as theres just too many wifi-routers in the vacinity. in that case, id say eliminating unreliable wifi is not possible.

Even with your own router, on your own channel, own security setup? Doesn't seem like it would be an issue especially if it was close.

Josh Billings

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »

Even with your own router, on your own channel, own security setup? Doesn't seem like it would be an issue especially if it was close.

Josh Billings

With everything from smartphones to doorbells using the 2,4/5gHz bands I'm at the point where I pretty much consider these bands as no-go areas for professional use.

To qoute the Sennheiser rep holding the RF class I attended last week (while showing screen shots of RF scans):  "I sure wouldn't put a wireless mic in that area".  If he wouldn't put a mic there I think I'll stay away with the most important uplink of the entire sound system...

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 11:12:40 AM »

With everything from smartphones to doorbells using the 2,4/5gHz bands I'm at the point where I pretty much consider these bands as no-go areas for professional use.

To qoute the Sennheiser rep holding the RF class I attended last week (while showing screen shots of RF scans):  "I sure wouldn't put a wireless mic in that area".  If he wouldn't put a mic there I think I'll stay away with the most important uplink of the entire sound system...

What he said.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »

While I won't quibble with a RF professional, there is a huge difference between passing clean (analog?) audio over a RF path, and digital control information. Error checking and redundancy can improve robustness of passing modest bandwidth control information, while audio is less forgiving.

I do not dispute that there be clutter there, only making a point about the difference between audio and control data.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »

There doesn't seem to be any way to connect an iPad without going thru' a wireless router, so one should explore other options like remoting from a laptop.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:42:57 AM »

hey all. does anyone know of a way to hardwire an ipad to any console that offers ipad controal via a wifi wireless router? in otherwords, lets say i have a job where leaving the console behind the stage and running it via an ipad out front is ideal, but i want a backup plan in case the wifi is unreliable. is there a way to run a usb or ethernet cable to the foh position and connect the ipad if needed?
This might be a solution:
1.) Get a Camera Connection kit
2.) Get a USB-Ethernet adapter
3.) Connect the iPad to a port on the router with ethernet
The end of this thread from an Apple Forum from October 2012 indicates that the Camera Connection Kit will support USB other than cameras. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2809000?start=30&tstart=0
Whether or not the next step of being able to use Ethernet through that USB port you'll have to test.
This is the Apple USB-Ethernet adapter than I had used with a windows PC (after tweaking the installation routine) - it worked.
http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/MC704ZM/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

I use the iPad with a 5kHz router and so far(only 3 months) it has been 100% reliable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.