ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best/tallest pole  (Read 8820 times)

Thomas Lamb

Best/tallest pole
« on: November 18, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »

Taking suggestions in the best/ tallest pole for mounting tops on subs. Ultimate was supposed to be coming out with one thy was tele lock or self rising with a pretty trick self adjusting bottom but it doesn't look like that ever came to market. I'm open to cranks I need to get the cabinets up as high as possible while still being stable.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
Re: Best/tallest pole
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »

Taking suggestions in the best/ tallest pole for mounting tops on subs. Ultimate was supposed to be coming out with one thy was tele lock or self rising with a pretty trick self adjusting bottom but it doesn't look like that ever came to market. I'm open to cranks I need to get the cabinets up as high as possible while still being stable.

Do they have to go on a sub?

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

how tall are we talking? do you have threads or a pole cup on top of your sub?

if the answer is pole cup then you would be best buying a pair of threaded plates like these from K&M and install them in your subs in place of the old pole cup they are quite a bit more stable then the latter.

http://products.k-m.de/us/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Distance-and-extension-rods/24116-CONNECTOR-PLATE-black
they can be had for about $15 each

I like the K&M stuff, it is totally solid. they have a variety of what they call distance rods (the rest of us seem to just call them speaker poles) that have adjustable heights.

hope you find what you are looking for

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »

how tall are we talking? do you have threads or a pole cup on top of your sub?

if the answer is pole cup then you would be best buying a pair of threaded plates like these from K&M and install them in your subs in place of the old pole cup they are quite a bit more stable then the latter.

http://products.k-m.de/us/Speakerlighting-and-monitor-stands-and-holders/Distance-and-extension-rods/24116-CONNECTOR-PLATE-black
they can be had for about $15 each

I like the K&M stuff, it is totally solid. they have a variety of what they call distance rods (the rest of us seem to just call them speaker poles) that have adjustable heights.

hope you find what you are looking for

It's best for me if they go on a sub due to flooring limitations. As far as the pole mount I'm totally in agreement with the screw in style. However, the subs are NEXO RS15's and in this particular model the "pole hole" goes in the full height if the sub (like 20") so stability is not an issue but this is part of the problem because in comparison to other pole cups that only go in 6" or so the pole goes in an extra 14-16" which makes it shorter than most. As far as swapping it out I wouldn't be opposed normally but since the shaft goes the full height of the box and splits the 2 chambers I would be worried about the modification I would have to do to reseal them since they have to be separated for cardioid use.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »

It's best for me if they go on a sub due to flooring limitations. As far as the pole mount I'm totally in agreement with the screw in style. However, the subs are NEXO RS15's and in this particular model the "pole hole" goes in the full height if the sub (like 20") so stability is not an issue but this is part of the problem because in comparison to other pole cups that only go in 6" or so the pole goes in an extra 14-16" which makes it shorter than most. As far as swapping it out I wouldn't be opposed normally but since the shaft goes the full height of the box and splits the 2 chambers I would be worried about the modification I would have to do to reseal them since they have to be separated for cardioid use.

Having purchased longer poles for my use I'll say this:

Don't buy aluminum.  Hold out for steel.......or REALLY thick-walled aluminum if you must.  Once you get them up higher, someone will eventually "help" you enough to put a slight bend in the pole and it'll be pretty much useless.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:23:36 PM »

Based solely on the subject title, I was going to recommend Stretch Polansky, tallest polish fellow I've ever met and very affable. But never mind.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:34:33 PM »

Based solely on the subject title, I was going to recommend Stretch Polansky, tallest polish fellow I've ever met and very affable. But never mind.

He's here all night.  Waiters.  Waitresses.  You know the drill....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:38:46 PM »

It takes a Cohen-cident pair to come up with a reply like that........
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »

Im using the K&M 21366 poles, they are steel, they lock into the sockets with an expanding fingers type mechanism and extend to 54 inches, work good. The only issue I have some times is I have different sockets on a couple of subs, and they fit tight on those.

My speakers weigh 49#s.

Mike

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:54:37 PM »

It takes a Cohen-cident pair to come up with a reply like that........

Sounds Rees-onable.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »

Stripper poles are pretty strong and they're usually plated chrome or brass. Try one of those.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »

Stripper poles are pretty strong and they're usually plated chrome or brass. Try one of those.

Bob,
I would consider this. However, this rig is typically used at a church were we have many people from many walks of life. I wouldn't want to tempt someone to getting back into that line of work. Especially during a church service! That could be a catastrophe!! It would definitely make for a interesting church service...

PS
I checked they aren't the right diameter anyway. Seems that strippers prefer larger diameter poles :-[
bigTlamb

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

I used to have Peavey subs like that.  Very stable.  I didn't need adjustability so I just bought some steel pipe of the right diameter and length.

If someone can weld for you it's easy to make an extention to add on top of any old crank pole like those from K&M:

What you need is one tube the same diameter of the existing speaker pole, then a second tube with the same inside diameter as the pole cups.  The outer tube should be welded to the smaller diameter tube so that there is a flare that will fit over the top of your trust K&M crank pole. 

Bonus points for drilling and tapping a hole for a fastening screw.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »

Home Depot sells 1 3/8" OD curtain rod that is exactly the same tubing as aluminum speaker poles. It's even painted black. It comes in 6' lengths and you can cut to fit - if you are comfortable using non threaded aluminum speaker poles.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Bob,
I would consider this. However, this rig is typically used at a church were we have many people from many walks of life. I wouldn't want to tempt someone to getting back into that line of work. Especially during a church service! That could be a catastrophe!! It would definitely make for a interesting church service...

PS
I checked they aren't the right diameter anyway. Seems that strippers prefer larger diameter poles :-[

What, you don't know a liturgical dance when it lands in your lap?  :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Timothy J. Trace

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 12:03:06 AM »

Not to topic-jack the OP....but when I read through the post I thought I'd share a venture I undertook some years ago.

O-Frames. Or, how to fly a 130# Community SLS960 speaker enclosure, with a vertical tilt, from a single tripod stand... Click here.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:13:44 AM by Timothy J. Trace »
-----------
Post count...whaaaaa? I ain't no newb. Search for my name in the LAB Archives.  :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 12:03:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.