ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic, small-scale system tuning  (Read 5998 times)

Kyle Malenfant

Basic, small-scale system tuning
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »

Hi all,

I trust I am posting in the correct forum, as this is a measurement question though relates to the mobile DJ industry.  If I am in the wrong spot, I apologize : )

In addition to providing SR for small events, I personally DJ a few mobile parties on the weekends...weddings, mitzvahs, sweet 16s, etc.  I am in NYC and the parties tend to range from oldies and disco to the hottest hip hop and house club jams.

A couple years ago I upgraded from Yorkville ex 401 mains to RCF ART 525A.  My partners and employees are always impressed with my newer system and they tell me how good it sounds when compared to many other mobile jocks in the area.

Cool...I also use a Rane stereo 15 band eq to tune the speakers a bit as they can be a little shrill.

Throughout the months I generally make my way through the same 20 or so venues in my area with a few one-offs here and there.

At 95% of my jobs use one of these three sound setups:

(2) RCF ART 525a

(2) RCF ART 525 + (1) RCF SUB 905as

(2) RCF ART 525 + (2) RCF SUB 905as

Very basic sound rig, no question about it.

I would like to get a better tweaking of my sound (more precise/definition than my 15 band eq)...I know I can accomplish this with larger EQ units.

But what about measurement?  I don't feel the need to spend close to $1000 on SMAART or other high end platform, though the free RTA on my iPhone just ain't cuttin' it : )

I've read many posts and articles originating from these forums debunking the myth that a Driverack is the best and easiest solution for tuning a system...I agree, though in my situation with my DJ rig only (not big venue PA) would it be sufficient?

I don't have the luxury of being able to pink noise and flatten the response of my speakers in each room I play (and all the other variables, room acoustics, etc.) nor is there a need for me to go that in depth.  Keep in mind most of the local DJs I've seen don't even use an EQ.  I just would like to sharpen up my sound a bit.

As I use the same sound rigs each weekend in many of the same venues, a Driverack is appealing in that I may save the settings for each of the main venues I go to.

I'm by no means set on a DR...just considering based on the feature set and the smaller scale tuning that my sound seems to require. 

If I'm mistaken or delusional in considering a DR (could be..), a few alternatives would be great. 

Thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Basic, small-scale system tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »

Kyle-

I wrote this as a result of an "an experience of sudden and striking realization" when I was in your shoes.  I actually still am, with the exception having added a DSP.  I still use the 31-Band to get things "roughed in", as it coincides with the only test tones that I have available.  I then use what I learned from the 31-band to setup and fine tune the parametrics in the DSP.  I leave the 31-band at home.

At that time, I was unaware of the test decribed by Tim for physical alignment (reverse polarity and delay until cancelation), but have used it myself.  I learned it here, and it works.

This is best done outdoors, where there are no barriers (walls) nearby, and there is minimal background noise.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,119123.msg1115925.html#msg1115925

I hope this helps a  bit.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:43:00 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

Kyle-

I wrote this as a result of an "an experience of sudden and striking realization" when I was in your shoes.  I actually still am, with the exception having added a DSP.  I still use the 31-Band to get things "roughed in", as it coincides with the only test tones that I have available.  I then use what I learned from the 31-band to setup and fine tune the parametrics in the DSP.  I leave the 31-band at home.

At that time, I was unaware of the test decribed by Tim for physical alignment (reverse polarity and delay until cancelation), but have used it myself.  I learned it here, and it works.

This is best done outdoors, where there are no barriers (walls) nearby, and there is minimal background noise.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,119123.msg1115925.html#msg1115925

I hope this helps a  bit.

-Dennis

Thanks Dennis.  That was a great read and I look forward to getting into an open area and giving it a go.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.