ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small PA setup - one simple question - plz help!  (Read 11772 times)

nolangray

Small PA setup - one simple question - plz help!
« on: November 15, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

Hi, I'm an experienced musician, so i am pretty familiar with live sound setups. But I recently inherited some extra PA gear and my dad wants to get a small event DJ service going. Not a wild Dj setup with sl12's and everything, no mixing -just basically playing music just something to do small events and make some money on the side.

My question is about adding a sub, possibly a crossover, etc...  PLease don't hate on my gear, Its really just for the $$$ lol..

I am running 2 laptops to Behringer NOX202 mixer, then into a Behringer Sonic Exciter, Out to 2
Behringer EUROLIVE B210D powered speakers. What I'd like to do is add a sub, probably something cheap like
a Kustom PA112S Powered Sub.

The problem is my DJ mixer only has 2 -1/4 outputs, which I've been running 1 each to each speaker out of the sonic exciter (itonly has 2 outputs too).  Id like to add a powered sub, and here's the only options I can see that are possible with my knowledge:

#1 - only run my mains off 1 side, daisy chained. Then run the powered sub out the other side, which I assume would require a crossover to keep the high end out.

#2 - get a '2 RCAs to One 1 1/4"' cable and run the sub from the RCA Amp/Rec outs on my mixer, and continue to use the 2 main outs for the main speakers. Not sure if that will work, or the quality.

IS one of those ways correct?  OR is there something else I should consider??

any help would be great!!! Thanks

My Gear:

Jordan Wolf

Re: Small PA setup - one simple question - plz help!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »

Hi Nolan,

Welcome to the forums!

#1 - only run my mains off 1 side, daisy chained. Then run the powered sub out the other side, which I assume would require a crossover to keep the high end out.
With the mixer you have, it looks like this would be the best way, unless you specifically need to have true stereo reproduction of your music.

#2 - get a '2 RCAs to One 1 1/4"' cable and run the sub from the RCA Amp/Rec outs on my mixer, and continue to use the 2 main outs for the main speakers. Not sure if that will work, or the quality.
This method could work, too, but you would need the proper type of cable or interface box to sum the two sides (Left and Right) of the Record outs.  It would be good for you to read Rane's "Why Not Wye?" to learn more about combining electrical signals.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Small PA setup - one simple question - plz help!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »

Any decent powered speaker should have an input AND an output. You simply run the signal from your mixer to the closest speaker and then jump it to the next speaker.

On top of that, most powered subs will have a left and a right input and output. So, LR from mixer to sub, then jump to your tops. Make sure all appropriate crossover switches are engaged and there ya go.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:07:10 AM »

Hi, I'm an experienced musician, so i am pretty familiar with live sound setups. But I recently inherited some extra PA gear and my dad wants to get a small event DJ service going. Not a wild Dj setup with sl12's and everything, no mixing -just basically playing music just something to do small events and make some money on the side.

My question is about adding a sub, possibly a crossover, etc...  PLease don't hate on my gear, Its really just for the $$$ lol..

And I'm sure your music library is completely legal too, right?

Dan Tartol

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »

You will want to run 2 1/4 cables from your mixer out to the powered sub. The sub will have a built in crossover, and will usually have a high pass send to go to each of your top speakers. If not it will for sure have thru outputs to go to your top speakers. I would also ditch the sonic exciter.
My profession is DJing, my passion is making it SOUND good.

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:12 PM »

Nolan

I'm familiar with the Euolive's - I've got (4) of the 12's and they're a good value for the price. I agree with those that recommend passing thru both of your tops, and getting a sub that has a built in crossover. The Kustom sub you mentioned does not, and at that price opint I would look for something used. I've used my Behringer tops with a single Mackie SRM 1801 with very good results. Perhaps you could find one of these, or the 15" model used. Make sure whatever you get has a crossover built into it. Also agree with those that suggest you loose the Sonic Exciter. Do you have a 31 band EQ?

Dan Tartol

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

If you are looking for a good deal on an entry level powered sub, best buy has this right now for $429 SHIPPED. Not the best in the world by any means, but at that price point, you'd be hard pressed to find something new with a 5 year warranty.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cerwin+V...&skuId=3003211
My profession is DJing, my passion is making it SOUND good.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

I would also ditch the sonic exciter.

+1.  Use it for a doorstop.

Also, what Scott said about your music library should not be taken lightly.  Someone (you, the venue, or the promoter) needs to be licensed from BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, etc. for the music you want to play.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:40:02 PM »

Put a crossover after the just before the powered speakers, then add your subs.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

I am running 2 laptops...

This should really be in the DJ forum; but, here goes: concerning your music source(s)...

1.  You should be able to prove (either by actual ownership of the CD you ripped from, or be able to produce an electronic statement from where you purchased downloads) that you personally own each and every track that you have on your laptops(s).

2.  Read 1.

-Dennis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.