ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lavaliere Mics in live sound  (Read 9079 times)

David Shriver

• Rockport Music
Lavaliere Mics in live sound
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

Hello everyone,

As part of a recent audio upgrade to our installed system we added 4x MKE-2 Gold wireless mics on a Sennheier 2000 series system.  I'm having real issues with getting decent gain and good sound from the lavs though.  I've used the MEK-2 numerous times in theatrical productions where they are hidden in hairlines or costumes, and I've used them many times for audio recording for video.  However, I have limited experience with lavs in this corporate meeting setting.  I'm struggling to get a good sound from them.

In a recent corporate meeting I had 4 speakers using the lavs.  Before the meeting began I listened to all the mics on the PFL and had a good sound from them in the headphones.  So I brought them up in the house though the wash from the PA got into them and the sound went to hell.  So a few tweaks on the PEQ got rid of the mud and the intelligibility was ok but the quality was poor and I had very little gain. 

In these corporate meetings using headsets is usually not an acceptable alternative.  I'm fairly confident with my lav placement.  I did a double loop in the cable to decouple the cable/mic and I had them all placed fairly high on the tie (between the tie clip and knot). 

Can any of you share any tips or offer advice to get a better sound in these corporate situations?

Thanks

-David

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Lavaliere Mics in live sound
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »

Hello everyone,

As part of a recent audio upgrade to our installed system we added 4x MKE-2 Gold wireless mics on a Sennheier 2000 series system.  I'm having real issues with getting decent gain and good sound from the lavs though.  I've used the MEK-2 numerous times in theatrical productions where they are hidden in hairlines or costumes, and I've used them many times for audio recording for video.  However, I have limited experience with lavs in this corporate meeting setting.  I'm struggling to get a good sound from them.

In a recent corporate meeting I had 4 speakers using the lavs.  Before the meeting began I listened to all the mics on the PFL and had a good sound from them in the headphones.  So I brought them up in the house though the wash from the PA got into them and the sound went to hell.  So a few tweaks on the PEQ got rid of the mud and the intelligibility was ok but the quality was poor and I had very little gain. 

In these corporate meetings using headsets is usually not an acceptable alternative.  I'm fairly confident with my lav placement.  I did a double loop in the cable to decouple the cable/mic and I had them all placed fairly high on the tie (between the tie clip and knot). 

Can any of you share any tips or offer advice to get a better sound in these corporate situations?

Thanks

-David

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm410-4-channel-automatic-mixer

If you have more than four inputs, two 410's will daisy chain.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
Lavaliere Mics in live sound
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »

In corporate work, Shure WL185 lapel mics seem to be king. In my experience, they take substantially less work to get acceptable GBF and quality audio. There are better mics that also are smaller in size, but the WL195 works for what I do. Hope that helps.

- Tony Williams
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick Moore

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »

I've spent a lot of time with WL185's on SLX wireless units in small ballrooms.  They are tough to wrangle, prone to feedback when you gain them up for intelligibility.  Even though it may be hard to get good live intelligibility on them, they are in fact nice microphones and sound great when you are working in a controlled environment (no PA system, headphones on a video shoot for instance.)

Try this-- assign all your LAVS to a buss, and insert a graphic eq on that bus.  Place a lav pack on the podium on stage, and turn it up in the PA.  Notch that EQ out as you would for rock n' roll monitors.  They tend to ring around 500hz and equivalent harmonics (1,2,4,8k typically)

This will allow you to actually do some "artistic" EQ on those mics without having to battle feedback with your channel strip.  And you'll find that they actually are pretty good sounding mics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »

I've spent a lot of time with WL185's on SLX wireless units in small ballrooms.  They are tough to wrangle, prone to feedback when you gain them up for intelligibility.  Even though it may be hard to get good live intelligibility on them, they are in fact nice microphones and sound great when you are working in a controlled environment (no PA system, headphones on a video shoot for instance.)

Try this-- assign all your LAVS to a buss, and insert a graphic eq on that bus.  Place a lav pack on the podium on stage, and turn it up in the PA.  Notch that EQ out as you would for rock n' roll monitors.  They tend to ring around 500hz and equivalent harmonics (1,2,4,8k typically)

This will allow you to actually do some "artistic" EQ on those mics without having to battle feedback with your channel strip.  And you'll find that they actually are pretty good sounding mics.

I use 184s and 185s because I get such good gain before feedback that I don't need to do much eq anymore. I can eq for sound quality now, not for GBF. Execs standing right in front of the PA are fine. Not so much with omnis like MKE-2.

Mac

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:41:48 PM »

David,

What type of PA system are you using?  If it's in-house (distributed system, in-ceiling speakers, etc.), you're going to have a very hard time getting the GBF you want while maintaining any level of sound quality.  If you're using SOS (speakers on sticks) or something similar, you will typically have much better results, as long as the system is deployed properly.

Also, mic placement is critical to ensure best GBF…and make sure the talent knows NOT to move it once you put it on them.

I use the WL18* from Shure all the time and they get the job done in most cases.  Headset mics are my preference, but people seem to be more comfortable with lavs…even if they are big and flop around on loose clothing.

I can't say that I have personal experience with the MKE2-Gold elements, but any directional element should be at least usable to a point.  The relationship between the talent speaking, the mic picking them up, and the loudspeaker system you are using to reinforce the event must strike a fine balance…and sometimes that's not achievable on all counts.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Edward Gonzalez

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks

-David

David
Omni Lavs are not your friend in this application. If you wanted to stay with Sennheier I would use a MKE-104 they are a little bright but EQ will fix it. The best lav mic out there is the DPA-4080 very little EQ to get them loud. If you are doing large panels of people on stage the Dan Dugan auto mixer is incredible.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:49 AM »

I use 184s and 185s because I get such good gain before feedback that I don't need to do much eq anymore. I can eq for sound quality now, not for GBF. Execs standing right in front of the PA are fine. Not so much with omnis like MKE-2.

Mac

+1

i spent years chasing my tail with MKE2s before i came across the WL184.  they pretty much solved all my problems.  Yes, you still have to put the PA up right and you do need to know how to EQ things, but boy do they make it all much easier to do...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mikey Brown

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »

Mac
I usually use B-6's, but for the throw and go, I have theWL-185's for the corpies. Second the lavs to mix, parametric on the group. Then channel eq for the changes for different talent. I try not to go to crazy with the filters, HPF and just enough cut and sweep to make them natural.

Gus Housen

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »

I switched out my Sennheiser capsules to AT831's and really never looked back. The big plus is you can occationally find them dirt cheap on ebay, typically new. which is fine if you dont mind dark brown

darren mcmahon

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks

-David

Hi

I do a fair bit of corporate using these mics

I also do what Patrick suggested.....

"Try this-- assign all your LAVS to a buss, and insert a graphic eq on that bus.  Place a lav pack on the podium on stage, and turn it up in the PA.  Notch that EQ out as you would for rock n' roll monitors.  They tend to ring around 500hz and equivalent harmonics (1,2,4,8k typically)

This will allow you to actually do some "artistic" EQ on those mics without having to battle feedback with your channel strip.  And you'll find that they actually are pretty good sounding mics."

By the sounds of things I tend to go for similar mic placement,  Also I often have to consider main speaker distances from presenter on some of the smaller bread and butter jobs where you have speakers on sticks, often having to use front fills on a separate send to deal with the gaps in coverage.

I also like the DPA's but generally i do in fact favour the omni's..

just me..,

hope that helps

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »

David
Omni Lavs are not your friend in this application. If you wanted to stay with Sennheier I would use a MKE-104 they are a little bright but EQ will fix it. The best lav mic out there is the DPA-4080 very little EQ to get them loud. If you are doing large panels of people on stage the Dan Dugan auto mixer is incredible.

Omni lavs are often necessary for panel discussions, as the talkers often turn their heads towards each other. Works best if you can get the loudspeakers well in front of the talkers.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

Hello everyone,

Thanks

-David

The following is cut and pasted and edited from things I have written over the years.

I used to do a lot of corporate show (I traveled a lot) and I used MKE2 mics all the time. Over the years I have used many different sound systems and I used the in-house systems a lot. The way I deal with this is to have the sound system optimized as best as it can be. I tune the system for linearity – what goes in is what comes out. If using subs I feed the subs so the vocal mics are not going thru them. I then insert the appropriate EQ into a subgroup of like mics. For example all lavs in 1 subgroup and all hand-held vocal mic in another. I then EQ those subgroups for best gain before feedback. I use SMAART (audio analysis software) and one trick I use (after tuning the system for linearity) is to make (in this example) the lav my measurement mic. I clip it to something on stage in the area it will be used and then I pump the reference signal (pink noise) thru the house speakers and I see where the lav is sensitive to the pink noise and I take down the problem frequencies. I used to do all of this with feedback and ringing it out by ear but since I started using SMAART (many years ago) I find I can get a more accurate and consistent result much quicker and less annoying to anyone standing around. I of course then listen to the results to see if any more tweaking is necessary. I then save the channel EQ for tapering the input to the person’s voice.

I also use automixers for panel discussions. Don’t even think of trying to just use gates, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Story available on request. I use the Shure SCM810 automixers and have had excellent results. More info available on request.

Mic placement - If you have to put the mic on their tie, a trick someone told me a few years ago is to have the person look down at their chest and move the mic up the tie till they can’t see it (the top of the mic) anymore, at this point move it back to where they could last see it. This is the placement that seems to be the best for a mic on a tie. Try it, it gives a much more consistent sound. I should mention that this is for men only; on a woman you can put the mic much higher without the problems that would be present on a man. On a woman I can clip an omni directional mic right at the neck and it will work fine. I have had excellent results using omni mics (MKE2) on men and women, in corporate work.

Most of the time when using lavs I use an omni lav. I have fewer problems with placement and sound variations then trying to use a cardioid lav. I have been very lucky with omni lavs mostly due to good system tuning and many times good speaker placement. But I have even had good luck with bad systems tuned well and bad speaker placement with a few tricks. One of the bad speaker placement situations was when having to use the ceiling speakers in hotel breakout rooms when there were speakers right above where we setup the stage. The trick I used to use was to cover the ceiling speakers that are over the stage. Sometimes I just used gaffer tape to cover them and sometimes I had with me something I made just for that purpose. I took the material that they use to make the vinyl magnetic signs that they put on the side of trucks and cut circles the size of the ceiling speaker covers. I would then borrow the extending pole with a cup on it that the maintenance department would use to change light bulbs and use that to place the magnetic circle on the speaker grills as long as they where made of metal. Obviously this wouldn’t work on plastic grills. At the end of the event I would use the same pole to knock the magnetic vinyl off of the speaker grill and retrieve my disks.   

I did a lot of these events at Disney World and in one room the ceiling over the stage was lower then the rest of the room. I used white gaffers tape to cover the speakers over the stage but I forgot to remove it. That tape stayed there for a few years. Eventually when doing a job there I looked in that room (we didn’t use it for meetings for that event) and they had finally taken the tape off of them.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

Slight topic swerve, but I JUST HAD to relay a recent experience.     I was being my usual professional and courteous self two weeks ago when placing an ME2 on the female talent.

After it was attached, she asked "Are you going to turn me on, or do I have to do it myself?"

I paused a moment to see if she heard what I heard, then replied, "I'll take care of it when it's time".

Show went on.  The mic, if not the talent, was turned on when required.

8)
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.