ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new mixer comming to town Roland  (Read 5641 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
A new mixer comming to town Roland
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:15:39 PM »

Roland M200i

They seem to have done a great job of utilizing the Ipad(s)  For a 24 ch church that doesn't need IEMs, or is willing to use Roland IEMs it seems like a great fit.

$3495
http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100117
Not to Code

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
Re: A new mixer comming to town Roland
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »

Roland M200i

They seem to have done a great job of utilizing the Ipad(s)  For a 24 ch church that doesn't need IEMs, or is willing to use Roland IEMs it seems like a great fit.

$3495
http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100117

Hi Frank, The list is $4,999.00 (Is that the one?) and if it plays Blu Ray (DRM),  sounds promising.

Regards,  John

Edit; It is also Rack Mounted (if you want).

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:35:54 PM »

Hi Frank, The list is $4,999.00 (Is that the one?) and if it plays Blu Ray (DRM),  sounds promising.

Regards,  John

At 26 min on the video.  $3495 List
Not to Code

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »

Sweetwater's got 'em for $4995 with a 16x8 I/O added or $3495 without so both of you are correct, I guess.

There are only 14 mix buses total (stereo mains, 8 aux, 4 matrix) so it's a little undersized in that respect compared to the X32 or SL24. Presumably that wouldn't be an issue for those using the Roland IEMs.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »

Just to clarify, 24 inputs on the console but apparently 2 of those are RCA unbalanced line inputs and 6 are 1/4" TRS balanced/unbalanced line inputs thus only 16 mono mic/line inputs.  If you need 24 mic inputs then you'd need the system with the S-1608 expander which would give you 16 additional mono mic/line inputs and an additional 8 outputs for an estimated $4,995 MAP cost.

I find it interesting that the M-300 has no digital audio outputs and the M-480 has S/PDIF and Toslink digital audio outputs but the new M-200i apparently has an AES/EBU digital audio output.  That's probably a reflection of when the products were released but it is intriguing that only the 'entry level' console has a professional digital audio output while the 'flagship' console has consumer digital outputs and the 'mid range' no digital outputs.  Similarly, with so many CD players, computers, Blu-Ray players, DVD players, etc. providing some form of digital audio output it is also interesting that Roland has not included any common digital audio inputs such as S/PDIF or Toslink on any of the V-Mixer consoles.

This is an audio mixer, you may be thinking of the V-800HD video mixer (http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100097).  That unit can support HDCP for the DVI-D inputs, however if you turn on the HDCP support then you only get signal out from the DVI-D and HDMI outputs that support HDCP while the SD, SDI and RGB/Component outputs that do not support HDCP are cut off.

Taking this a step further, since it is supporting HDCP, then protected Blu-Rays or any HDCP protected content should only work with the V-800HD if the devices after the video mixer also support HDCP.

In reference to the M-200i, yes, but there doesn't appear to be any locking connection for the iPad, it apparently just sits on the little bracket.  Also, the iPad docking connector appears to be on the rear panel and there does not seem to be any provisions to get it up to the front panel other than to leave a gap above the mixer.  And if you look at the RA-10U rack mount kit info and the pictures of it used with the M-300, http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100071, and particularly the headphone jack and related volume control, it does indeed look like it is intended for slant top rack mounting.  So the M-200i may be 'rack mountable' but that may relate to slant top type applications and not vertical rack mounting or recessed desktop mounting.

The V-800HD video switcher is rack mountable in a 6RU (10-1/2") space but keep in mind that the rear panel connections require an additional 2RU or 3-1/2" of space so you would actually need 8RU or 14" of space.

At 26 min on the video.  $3495 List
It's not expected to be released until January 2013 so any pricing seems to be preliminary but $3,495 is what online retailers taking pre-orders are listing as the sales price and Roland typically does use the same price for both List and MAP prices.  They also typically have relatively low markups compared to some other manufacturers so I wouldn't expect extremely deep discounts off the "list" price but likely a price competitive with that of the Behringer X32, which would seem to be the closest direct competition.

Speaking of which, the Roland M-200i almost seems to be a mix of the Behringer X32 and the Mackie DL1608/Behringer X16, it will be interesting to see if the market finds that to be a good idea or not.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 10:22:27 AM »

Speaking of which, the Roland M-200i almost seems to be a mix of the Behringer X32 and the Mackie DL1608/Behringer X16, it will be interesting to see if the market finds that to be a good idea or not.

That certainly is the big question, both for the manufacturer and for us consumers.  Almost from the beginning mixers have come in one box.  Mic in to Line out with controls on the top.  My vote would be for a modular approach.  I can buy a DSP, some amps, some speakers and a couple of subs all from different mfgs and assemble them into a system.

My dream mixer would be a couple of digital snakes (one for the platform, and one for FOH) A control surface,  A video monitor or two, and the software of my choice.     A couple of years down the line I decide to upgrade so I add another digital snake, and get a new brand of software that has more features.

Frank
Not to Code

chris harwood

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »

or a new brand of software that never crashes.... unlike Roland/Cakewalks Sonar X2. ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.