ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need reliable CD or CD/DVD player  (Read 11891 times)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Need reliable CD or CD/DVD player
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »

Yes, and if you have both a computer and a dual-CD DJ player you're pretty much covered.

I strongly recommend the tabletop Pioneer units and not those dual-drawer ones! 
Been fighting with show CD players for years and the CDJ series by Pioneer are the answer to all. 

Rackmounting is a pain, but mounting on a sliding shelf has worked.  The scratch DJ functions can mostly be disabled but you'll eventually find that cueing to a particular spot mid-track is so much easier with it.

And after doing many variety type shows I've found some CD's that even the laptop wouldn't mount yet would play in the CDJ.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »

Thanks. Not being a DJ or in shape to get a new bigger car to fit a dual DJ rig, a single small DJ CD player looks much more practical for my needs.

Any advice on the Pioneer CDJ-350 vs the CDJ-850?

The 350 is less expensive, much smaller and has fewer DJ features like advanced looping capabilities I would probably never use, I am just wondering about how it compares with the 850 or higher models with regard to
1) reliablility
2) ability to play difficult CDs
3) playing CDs without damaging them
4) durability for performances and
5) ease of use.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:24:26 PM by George Friedman-Jimenez »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »

If there's no time to fiddle, the CD player is better than the computer - IF the player will read the disc.  Home burnt and small production (school chorus sing-along discs) are a crap shoot.  If there's time, I prefer the computer with Multiplay.  But it takes time to rip the disc, confirm the correct track, and move it to the desired folder.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »

Thanks. Not being a DJ or in shape to get a new bigger car to fit a dual DJ rig, a single small DJ CD player looks much more practical for my needs.

Any advice on the Pioneer CDJ-350 vs the CDJ-850?

The 350 is less expensive, much smaller and has fewer DJ features like advanced looping capabilities I would probably never use, I am just wondering about how it compares with the 850 or higher models with regard to
1) reliablility
2) ability to play difficult CDs
3) playing CDs without damaging them
4) durability for performances and
5) ease of use.

Can't vouch for the 350, haven't used one yet, but highly recommend the 850 or better (or used CDJ 1000, 750 etc..)
-and I'm not a DJ, I've used them for exactly what you are wanting them for. 

I've found that if a CDJ-type player won't read the disc, then a computer drive won't either (assuming it's not a CDrom of files&folders -although the 850 or 2000 might attempt!)

I used to spend the time ripping presenters & performers discs but now just play it on the CDJ -seems faster and there's much more C-Y-A as nobody questions your laptop's ripping ability (and/or the question of file copy retention if it's a pre-release track)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

Has anyone had problems with slot loading CD players scuffing or otherwise damaging CDs? I tend to prefer CD drawer type players because I understand better how the transport mechanisms contact the CD, but all the DJ type CD players I have seen and the 1 RU Tascam rackmount CD players that failed me are slot loaders.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.