ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVI from laptop at front of house  (Read 4348 times)

Montez Carter

DVI from laptop at front of house
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:40:11 PM »

I just advanced a show today and the band is going to have a laptop at FOH displaying text and such. I have 2 Epson 8300i projectors on two 7.5X10 fast fold screens rear projection stage left and right facing the crowd.  So the first run will be about 100 feet  from FOH to the stage and then I will need to split and run about 50 more feet to each of my projectors. My question is I believe I have to put some sort of signal booster in line. Can this be at the start of the chain or how long can i run before I need to boost and can multiple boosters be put in line as I am reading they are only good for 100 feet. In a nutshell how do I set this up.

David Elsbury

• Computer says no...
Re: DVI from laptop at front of house
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »

Not sure if you are looking to hire or buy, or where in the world you are, or when your gig is... but try these guys, reliable gear. http://www.dvigear.com/

David

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »

There will be no appreciable difference using FBI over VGA. I would run VGA to the stage 100' we do it all the time then split it to projector 1 and run another 50'-75' to the other side. A simple dvi to VGA adapter at the computer should suffice in most situations.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Randy Culpepper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:28:15 PM »

You could the foh run to stage and split via a VGA DA. You can also get VGA to cat5e adapters if you have worries about the long runs. For this simple project I would go the DA route as it's most simple and it gets you to both places

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:34 AM »

Setup your host computer handling all of your media & projection backstage with your projectors and run a cat5 cable to FOH for VNC control with a laptop.

Should be the cheap, simple & reliable.

Montez Carter

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »

There will be no appreciable difference using FBI over VGA. I would run VGA to the stage 100' we do it all the time then split it to projector 1 and run another 50'-75' to the other side. A simple dvi to VGA adapter at the computer should suffice in most situations.

This seems the most simple and cost effective method since I have long runs of vga cable and I could just use the DVI to VGA adaptor at the laptop like you described and the rest is business as usual thanks guys for the help.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »

This seems the most simple and cost effective method since I have long runs of vga cable and I could just use the DVI to VGA adaptor at the laptop like you described and the rest is business as usual thanks guys for the help.
It may not be so easy.  Because it is a physically large connector, DVI outputs are a bit uncommon for laptops, so have they specifically stated that the laptop has a DVI output?  And if so, have they stated what form of DVI?

There are multiple variations of DVI including DVI-A (analog), DVI-D (digital) and DVI-I (analog and digital).  There are also single link and dual link variations.  The dual link variation is uncommon and a laptop would almost certainly be single link, but it may be DVI-A, DVI-D or DVI-I.  DVI-A can be adapted and treated like VGA/RGBHV while DVI-D can typically be adapted and treated like HDMI (but without audio, Ethernet, etc.).  DVI may be able to be approached wither way.  If the laptop is DVI-A or DVI-I out then what you propose may work, but if it is DVI-D out then it will not work.

Also, when addressing VGA you need to consider factors like the resolution, refresh rate, cable quality, amplification in DAs used, etc.  Just because something works in a specific application is of limited relevance to others unless all the factors involved are the same.

Also consider that if you DA at the stage you may be amplifying any noise and signal degradation picked up from the first 100' run.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.