ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Help?  (Read 4609 times)

Brian Kilpatrick

Wireless Help?
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

Hey Guys,

I just need help identifying the issue with our wireless system as is demonstrated in the small audio file here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8fx_vYYmVSUSlNUQ0xpUnptdEE. It only happens once in a while, but enough for it to have happened at the wrong time. Is this just RF interference or is the beltpack/system faulty? What can/should be done by this? It is a EV RE2 Wireless system. Should I look into another brand/model?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Wireless Help?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

Hey Guys,

I just need help identifying the issue with our wireless system as is demonstrated in the small audio file here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8fx_vYYmVSUSlNUQ0xpUnptdEE.

The audio sample was too short to really tell.  Didn't sound like an RF issue. 

1. Does it ever happen when you are not using RF?  Sounds like electrical interference. 

2. If you solo the wireless mic do you hear it or only through the PA? 

3. Have you tried other frequencies - On the far end of the band from where you currently are?
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Brian Kilpatrick

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:44:58 PM »

The audio sample was too short to really tell.  Didn't sound like an RF issue. 

1. Does it ever happen when you are not using RF?  Sounds like electrical interference. 

2. If you solo the wireless mic do you hear it or only through the PA? 

3. Have you tried other frequencies - On the far end of the band from where you currently are?

Thanks Pete! There are no problems on any other mics on the same channel, Its there soloed and in the direct out. I have not tried other frequencies yet. I had a thought that it is something that happens when either the beltpack is moved around or if the belt pack is behind too many layers of clothing, as this hasn't happened before when the normal user wears with with no clothing over it. Does this seem logical?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »

Thanks Pete! There are no problems on any other mics on the same channel, Its there soloed and in the direct out. I have not tried other frequencies yet. I had a thought that it is something that happens when either the beltpack is moved around or if the belt pack is behind too many layers of clothing, as this hasn't happened before when the normal user wears with with no clothing over it. Does this seem logical?

Wiggle things.  Mic cable, belt pack antenna (if applicable), connectors.  Thump it, bump it, mess it around.

Does any of this replicate the problem?

I even had problems with synthetic clothing fabric and low humidity producing static electricity which would discharge and cause pops from the wireless system.  Some anti-cling spray would take care of it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:59:21 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »

Wiggle things.  Mic cable, belt pack antenna (if applicable), connectors.  Thump it, bump it, mess it around.

Does any of this replicate the problem?

I even had problems with synthetic clothing fabric and low humidity producing static electricity which would discharge and cause pops from the wireless system.  Some anti-cling spray would take care of it.

I agree it could be static, but the fact that it seems to be somewhat "continuous" leads me to think that's probably not it. It reminds me of the sound of "antenna whip" which is when on some wireless systems, if they antenna is flicked around, you hear a "thumping" or "swishing" in the audio. From that, I'd say it is an RF issue, possibly even interference. It could also be actual antenna whip that has come up because the transmitter is damaged in some way - a component has failed for instance. Or there is something metallic in the wearer's clothing contributing to the problem.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

Doesn't sound acoustical but could be mic cable.  Try rubbing the cable and capsule to reproduce the effect.  Could be static electricity.
Is the sound there when the mic is disconnected from the TX?
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

Doesn't sound acoustical but could be mic cable.  Try rubbing the cable and capsule to reproduce the effect.  Could be static electricity.
Is the sound there when the mic is disconnected from the TX?

I ASSumed that the mic in question is an ear-set, but if a lav, check to make sure that the cap is not coming loose. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:29:07 PM »

Hey Guys,

I just need help identifying the issue with our wireless system as is demonstrated in the small audio file here: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8fx_vYYmVSUSlNUQ0xpUnptdEE. It only happens once in a while, but enough for it to have happened at the wrong time. Is this just RF interference or is the beltpack/system faulty? What can/should be done by this? It is a EV RE2 Wireless system. Should I look into another brand/model?

I examined this with Adobe Audition. I listoned to the noise as a repetitive loop and viewed it waveform.

My best guess it that it sounds and looks like computer power supply 'hash'.   When it happens unplug any computer and run it one batteries for a while and see if it goes away.  Also and MP3 player that is also being powered by something (like a computer) may do this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:29:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.