ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rme Fireface 800 problem rates  (Read 5952 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Rme Fireface 800 problem rates
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »

We do live gigs and record them multitrack going out of a LS9-32 (adat) into a M-Audio profire Lightbridge. Because the Lightbridge is no longer manufactured there's a 0.00000001% chance that a new driver come out and we have problems with the newest one, we decided to go pro and get a professional interface.
The RME Fireface 800 seems good, we would need two of them daisy-chained to get the 32 adat I/O and when in the studio we could record everything at 192 Khz with the top preamps inside them.
My questions are: are there other options? The FF800 was released in 2004, is there a possibility of RME stop the production and release a new interface in the near future? Anyone heard of driver problems? I don't want to repeat the bad M-Audio experience! We use Mac OS x 10.6, soon will become 10.8.
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Rme Fireface 800 problem rates
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »

There is always a chance that any company will discontinue a product, but RME is a very highly regarded company, and the Fireface series are considered to be among the best interfaces you can buy.

A cheaper alternative may be to sell the MY16-AT cards and replace them with MY16-Dante cards. Two cards plus a GB switch will cost less than a single Fireface800 and will connect to your DAW via GB Ethernet. The Dante Virtual Soundcard can support up to 64x64, but you will be limited to 32x32 by the 2 16ch slots in the LS-9. The Dante won't give you the high sample rate option since you will be limited by the console, but it's my opinion that those high sample rates are over rated.

Mac

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:16 PM »

I thought about Dante but I use many ethernet equip already. I use Stagemix to control the console, Ac-7 core to control Pro Tools and Sennheiser Manager to overview the wireless monitor mixes. I'm afraid this might overload Dante and cause problems to the audio going through.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »

I thought about Dante but I use many ethernet equip already. I use Stagemix to control the console, Ac-7 core to control Pro Tools and Sennheiser Manager to overview the wireless monitor mixes. I'm afraid this might overload Dante and cause problems to the audio going through.

I wouldn't be recording on a computer that was doing all that anyway. You can get the Dante cards, switch, and a dedicated computer for less than 2 Fireface800s.

Mac

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »

Yeah, but wouldn't the Dante network and the AC-7 core conflict with each other?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:38:58 PM »

Yeah, but wouldn't the Dante network and the AC-7 core conflict with each other?

I'm not familiar with how AC-7 works. You would be using half the Dante bandwidth, it can coexist with other data, but I don't know what the demands of AC-7 are. I assume they are using different network interfaces since the iPad is wireless and Dante uses the Ethernet port.

Dante is still a pretty new technology, but ADAT is probably my least favorite way to transport audio.

Mac

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »

I agree, ADAT is not very practical anymore. But I'm worried cause AC-7 core is wireless and at the Yamaha website there's this statement: "Disable all other network interfaces on the computer, particularly any wireless interface. This will improve the computers’ performance with Dante."

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

I agree, ADAT is not very practical anymore. But I'm worried cause AC-7 core is wireless and at the Yamaha website there's this statement: "Disable all other network interfaces on the computer, particularly any wireless interface. This will improve the computers’ performance with Dante."

Is that quote in reference to the Dante MY cards, or the CL series of consoles? The CL consoles are shipping on the order of 64x48 channels, with the possibility to have up to several times that number of channels on the network. You are looking at 32 channels in one direction while you are ingesting.

I don't know what your show environment is, but on most shows I would be more interested in what is happening in the show, and what the console is doing than messing around in PT. Since it is a post console digital signal, it can't be clipping, let it record and mix the PT track while there isn't a live show going on.

Mac

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:16 AM »

It is on the Yamaha manual for live recording m7cl with dante.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:16 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 24 queries.