ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD Video Distribution  (Read 4178 times)

Brian Larson

HD Video Distribution
« on: January 02, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »

I just bought some HD projectors for corporate events. These units will replace some older non-HD units. The new units have HDMI inputs. In the past I have distributed signals over VGA or composite.

Now that I have the ability to project in HD (1080i) I would like to know what the preferred standard is for transmitting HD signals in a live event environment.

I know HD-SDI is standard in the broadcast world, but is it also used for display signals? Would I just use an SDI-HDMI converter at each projector?

I've seen RGBHV over 5-wire BNC but I've been told that RGBHV is essentially the same as VGA except it can be run longer distances. Is this true or can you get a full HD signal out of RGBHV?

I've also seen HDMI-coax or HDMI-CAT5 adaptors that run a proprietary signal over the cable and need a balun on each end. These would probably be the easiest option for me since cat5 is cheap and I already have plenty of BNC.

Thoughts?

Thomas Lamb

Re: HD Video Distribution
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

I just bought some HD projectors for corporate events. These units will replace some older non-HD units. The new units have HDMI inputs. In the past I have distributed signals over VGA or composite.

Now that I have the ability to project in HD (1080i) I would like to know what the preferred standard is for transmitting HD signals in a live event environment.

I know HD-SDI is standard in the broadcast world, but is it also used for display signals? Would I just use an SDI-HDMI converter at each projector?

I've seen RGBHV over 5-wire BNC but I've been told that RGBHV is essentially the same as VGA except it can be run longer distances. Is this true or can you get a full HD signal out of RGBHV?

I've also seen HDMI-coax or HDMI-CAT5 adaptors that run a proprietary signal over the cable and need a balun on each end. These would probably be the easiest option for me since cat5 is cheap and I already have plenty of BNC.

Thoughts?

We use a combination of RGBHV (yes it is essentially the same as VGA however, it is definitely capable of carying HD resolutions) and HDSDI. We still have several switchers that output RGBHV so we won't be getting completely rid of it any time soo n. my preference is HDSDI though 1 small cable is very convenient. We use black magic mini converters where needed. Sometimes I will use a HDMI to SDI at a computer run down the sdi to a SDI to analog or HDMI mini converter at the projector. I would definitely move towards SDI.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »

RGBHV or VGA certainly can support HD signals.  VGA is actually a form of RGBHV and I think that what you are referencing is using bundled five wire coax in lieu of VGA with HD15 to five wire BNC breakout adapters at both ends.  That will typically reduce the cable losses but the reasons this is not more common probably include that higher resolution HD signals relate to larger bandwidth which in turn relates to greater cable losses and thus more limited practical cable lengths.  Another common reason is that many sources will not output high resolution (HD) analog signals or at least not for any protected content.

That brings up the HDCP factor.  Will your applications potentially involve encrypted/HDCP protected content?  If so then that could be a major factor and may eliminate any analog and SDI format from consideration as those do not support HDCP.

Having just been through a really bad experience with HDMI-to-HD-SDI converters I am wary of relying too much on conversion between those two formats, especially where the sources may be varied and not within your control.  Between EDID issues, compatible resolutions and scan/refresh rates, color spaces, etc. I would not count on such converters supporting people being able to connect a variety of personal laptops, tablets, etc. without some form of scaler with flexible input support in the signal chain.

And that segues into another possible factor, what outputs or connectivity may you have to support?  Is it realistic to assume all of the possible sources to be HDMI or SDI?  Would it make sense to have some form of switcher/scaler that will accept VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc. and convert them all to a single format, single resolution output?

FWIW, many of the video over twisted pair (UTP/STP/CAT) devices are not creating a proprietary signal they are simply adapting the physical wiring to use twisted pair wiring.  How they do that may vary and thus prevent different brands or models from being directly compatible but it is not really a proprietary signal.

Brian Larson

HD Video Distribution
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

Good to know RGBHV can handle HD.

I've thought about HDCP being an issue but right now I can't imagine a scenario where we would be distributing protected contented over a significant length or splitting to multiple displays. The only time I have to deal with it is the occasional movie screening in a breakout room. In that case we usually just stick a laptop right next to the projector.

Most of the content I'm looking to distribute are power points, IMAG, logos, and sometimes VJ stuff for bands/DJs. I can't imagine any of that being copy protected but there's something I'm probably overlooking so feel free to point out problems with content you've had.

I'm planning on either getting something like an imagepro or just a rack of Scalers and a separate switcher.

Thanks for all the help!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

I've thought about HDCP being an issue but right now I can't imagine a scenario where we would be distributing protected contented over a significant length or splitting to multiple displays. The only time I have to deal with it is the occasional movie screening in a breakout room. In that case we usually just stick a laptop right next to the projector.

Most of the content I'm looking to distribute are power points, IMAG, logos, and sometimes VJ stuff for bands/DJs. I can't imagine any of that being copy protected but there's something I'm probably overlooking so feel free to point out problems with content you've had.
Some Macs, Apple TV, some Blu-Ray players and so on.  The issue is that while the HDCP standards require HDCP to be enabled via a flag in the content, apparently nothing prevents it being enabled by the hardware at other times.  The result is some devices that enable HDCP whenever they are connected to an HDCP compliant input regardless of whether the content calls for it or not.

That is not a problem if those devices don't see an HDCP compliant input or if the signal chain is HDCP compliant from end to end but it can be a problem with mixed systems, for example connecting to a HDCP compliant scaler or switcher and then to a HDMI-to-HD-SDI converter that is HDCP compliant in that it rejects all HDCP encrypted content.

It is a prevalent enough issue that AMX, Analog Way, Crestron and others have added the ability on some of their HDCP compatible HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort switching products to disable HDCP for individual inputs.  The downside to that approach, or not supporting HDCP in general, is that some devices will not output HD resolutions on their digital outputs unless they complete the HDCP handshake.

The situation almost got much worse as at one point Microsoft was apparently looking at integrating the ability for the content creator to enable HDCP protection for PowerPoint files.  However, I believe it can still be an issue for emebedded/inserted media that is HDCP protected.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.