ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: (Indianapolis) Indy Sound Tech Speaker Shootout  (Read 21282 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: (Indianapolis) Indy Sound Tech Speaker Shootout
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

I don't know how many VRX's were used, and how high they were flown, relative to 20'.....

There's a picture about 9 or 10 posts up in this thread showing the rig

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 06:17:13 PM »

My experience in hearing and using the same VRX rig was that it had tons of 1" horn Power and lacked midrange projection... Which is what I would expect from a mini 'array'. Directly my SLS 960 over 2x18 Sub sounds way more normal and usable. Plus it costs about as much as 1 VRX top.

Is this perhaps why JBL sells a flyable 15" sub in the VRX line? Although I can't say I've ever seen a VRX rig that uses one.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »

There's a picture about 9 or 10 posts up in this thread showing the rig

Thanks Steve, I couldn't see the pics in the 'reply' page, I should have brought up another browser window. 

I'll assume the standard 15 degree cup was used on the bottom speaker. Although the original posts said no DSP, someone could still flip the switches on the VRX to have the top cabinet put out more highs and the top cabinets coverage would be a bit off-axis at at 20' for a seated-height measurement mic, so you could get some compensation at slightly longer distances from the top cab.

Still, the absorption physics applies at greater distances.
Mark McFarlane

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 11:23:41 PM »

Thanks Steve, I couldn't see the pics in the 'reply' page, I should have brought up another browser window. 

I'll assume the standard 15 degree cup was used on the bottom speaker. Although the original posts said no DSP, someone could still flip the switches on the VRX to have the top cabinet put out more highs and the top cabinets coverage would be a bit off-axis at at 20' for a seated-height measurement mic, so you could get some compensation at slightly longer distances from the top cab.

Still, the absorption physics applies at greater distances.

No problem.  Just figured the pic might answer questions more completely than a typed response!

Measurement mic was 5 to 6' off the floor (you can see it in the top pic I believe). 

My guess is he had the JBL preset programmed into the I-Tech with no changes to what the factory specified.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »

Hi,

i read your review with interest, I know some of the cabinets used in the shoot-out and share your experience.

I want to move from using two SRx-725 per side to something with better projection and more SP, but would like to stay in the same weight class !!!

From the boxes you have tested, which set-up would you choose. I am particulay interested in the 3TX Noesis.

Thanks for your coments

Renard from Curacao

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »

On weight, 2 of the Neosis 3TX's would weigh in at 98 lbs.  1 SRX 725 is 100 pounds, so JTR wins in that area.

The N3TX is 13" shorter than 725, so if you need to get the horn up to the same height, you need to think about how you plan to do that, especially if you are packing 2 of them together.  The N3TX will pole mount, but 2 of them wouldn't pole mount and tight pack (unless you built come sort of "2 speakers on 1 pole" device)

We did not do a max level shootout.
JBL SRX725 specs say 136 peak
JTR N3TX specs say 136 db peak

I'm pretty sure the horn in the N3TX is as loud as the horn in the 722/725, but I don't have a clue to if the 10's in the N3TX would equal or exceed the 15's in the 725.  The 10's will definitely have a different character to them than 15's would.

My W.A.G. (wild arse guess) is that the N3TX might be similar to the 725 in max output, but not outrun them in any significant manner.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »

Thanks for your comment.

There are alot of SRX-725/22 users out there who wanna upgrade. The weight issue is very important to most of them.

i will follow the posting on these 3Tx closely, as they seem very usable, especially if they are that light.

Very interesting product.
But i am still loking for the inbetween SRX-725 - KF850 solution. So have suggested the Danley SH-46, but I am waiting for more reviews or shoot-outs.

Thanks , for your comments

Renard from Curacao

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »

There are alot of SRX-725/22 users out there who wanna upgrade. The weight issue is very important to most of them.

The 725 is too heavy?  :-\

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »

The 725 is too heavy?  :-\

I do 95% of my shows as a 1 man crew.  While I can get a 725 up onto a sub by myself, I have no desire to do it on a regular basis.  When speakers go past somewhere around 75-80 lbs they get hard for 1 guy of my size to flip up onto a 2 x 18 size sub.  If the show is a 2 man load in/out, 725's are no problem.

Spenser Hamilton

(Indianapolis) Indy Sound Tech Speaker Shootout
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

I stack 725's on 728's solo all  the time, I'm also 5'11 and 250lbs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

(Indianapolis) Indy Sound Tech Speaker Shootout
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.