ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin TrX series  (Read 6691 times)

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
Carvin TrX series
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:04:14 pm »

Anybody have any real world experience on the Carvin TrX series cabinets?

From their spec sheet they seem really good and solid performers, but we all know that spec sheets and real world use can vary quite a bit.

If you have them or used them I'd love to hear your thoughts specifically on the 218 subs or the 3 way tops..

Thanks.
Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Carvin TrX series
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 05:56:21 pm »

From their spec sheet they seem really good and solid performers, but we all know that spec sheets and real world use can vary quite a bit.

If you have them or used them I'd love to hear your thoughts specifically on the 218 subs or the 3 way tops..

Thanks.

They are as good as any well done, home built speakers. What I mean by that is that they are just nicely built boxes with decent drivers, but no real ground-breaking R&D went into making them.  If you don't need to satisfy riders I'd say they are fine. Just know that how they perform all comes down to how good you are building the system and tuning the rig. There is no special processing or factory set ups other than what you do yourself.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tomm Williams

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:57 pm »

I have two sets of the 153N's I've used for quite some time when I'm not using my BagEnd Crystals. For the price, they are a solid performer. Everytime I take them out, I have a harder time wanting to part with them because they're "Carvins". One of the few products they seemed to have got right.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »

Thanks.

maybe Evan K can comment. He had those boxes years back. Might still. I'm pretty sure he upgraded the mid drivers and it was an improvement.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:14:02 pm »

maybe Evan K can comment. He had those boxes years back. Might still. I'm pretty sure he upgraded the mid drivers and it was an improvement.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,97963.0.html
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

AllenDeneau

• Cookeville, TN / Nashville, TN
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:28:06 am »

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,97963.0.html

Thanks guys, not sure why I didn't think to search first.

I've not had a chance to hear them but, another provider in my area has them and says he loves them so I looked at the specs. On paper they do seem pretty decent and they do look nice but, from the link provided it doesn't sound as if they're anything to look at...

Allen D.
Sound | DJ | Lighting

Tomm Williams

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:47:57 am »

Thanks guys, not sure why I didn't think to search first.

I've not had a chance to hear them but, another provider in my area has them and says he loves them so I looked at the specs. On paper they do seem pretty decent and they do look nice but, from the link provided it doesn't sound as if they're anything to look at...

Do yourself a favor and actually listen to them. They are not EAW, Yorkville, etc.... For the price point, they sound very good. I have the newer Neo version and as I said before, I found the sound quality surprisingly good for the price. Over the last couple of years I swore I would sell them as I didn't want anything "Carvin" in my rig. I have a very hard time parting with them, for certain gigs, they are just the ticket. Most of Carvins products are pretty dismal-----not these.

Michael Gorecki

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

I'm running four of the Trx218n's underneath 4 QRX212 and it's hard for me to go out and spend the 6-8k on a different set of subs when only a handful of people are going to notice the difference. If you have the power to push them they do everything and more than what a cab double it's price should do with the right DSP. However I can't speak for the 153's, every box I have heard was decent at best.

But in the end you can never brag about the gear that you have, or really even talk about it...
Just my opinion really..

Michael

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:24 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 23 queries.