ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: db Technologies Flexsys FM12  (Read 15657 times)

George Dougherty

db Technologies Flexsys FM12
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »

Picked up 8 of these from a local dealer.  I've now tested/played with them on my own several times and used them out on an indoor stage for about 8 hours two weekends ago.  I also loaned a pair to the church I call home while we settle on some replacement wedges for a quartet that all had their HF drivers drop off due to age.

If you're not familiar it's an active coaxial 12" wedge.  60x40 pattern, very low profile form factor with a second angle built in to get the shallow angle shooting across the stage for dance groups, etc.  It's not a super high power wedge.  300W RMS between the 12" and HF driver which is a 1" exit on a molded horn.  Nice weight just under 40lbs and you can cram 4 into a road case if you need to.

The connections are all on the side along with a dial for a handful of DSP presets.  You've got XLR through along with a standard IEC power cable.  I have a love hate with the IEC.  Easy to source, everybody's got one if you manage to forget one.  OTOH, it doesn't lock and it's easier to pull out on a busy stage.  You also can't find decent ends for less than $20 and they're mostly hard plastic meant for audiophiles instead of rubber casings meant for stages and I question their durability.  That's a gripe because I prefer neoprene jacketed 14/3-12/3 sjoow instead of the stiff thermoplastic stuff all the IEC's are premade from.  So, love to see powercon through like their bigger siblings, but oh well.  If that's a deal killer, check the RCF version that's got a nicer driver to boot.  At the price I got these, I can deal with it.  At full retail, I might be eyeing the RCF active coaxial box instead.

Sound:
Think I've seen it elsewhere, but I'd describe these as either dark or very warm sounding.  It's got a luscious low and midrange even using the stage monitor preset which should roll off quite a bit of the lows.  Compared to other powered speakers, especially the Yamaha DXR 10's and 12's I put it up against, the high-end is muted but it makes the Yamaha's sound gutless in the mids.  Scooping the mid-200 by 3-4db and boosting everything over 5K by several db got it to sound a bit more like the Yamaha but still fuller and richer.  On it's own it's a wonderful mellow sound with very present vocals running a mic through it.  Not saying much, but the church crowd loves the look and sound of them.  It's not saying much because their reference is either a galaxy hotspot, the Yamaha powered wedges or a 10" coaxial with a dead/dying HF driver.

That top end rolloff also helps it respond more stably up there leaving just a few frequencies to notch down low for the e935 I tested with.  That got it nice and stable all the way into the limiter light.  Not sure what they're cutting, but the anti-feedback on the DSP had it incredibly stable with no other EQ and no major change in sound quality.  I could almost drop the 935 into the grill without it squealing.

In terms of output volume, I've heard louder, but not for an active box in this price range.  Sensitivity is decent and the FM12 gets plenty loud for everybody but the deaf crowd.  Eight of them on a large band got plenty loud enough to give me fits getting vocals over the stage wash from 75ft back while trying to keep the FOH mix around 100db. My monitor tech decided he had no option but to leave his earplugs in while hanging around the stage during a set. 
The little box was also loud enough for one drummer trying to make up for her gender.  Her snare hits were 105-110db acoustically at FOH.  For that band the monitors kept dancing with the limiters, but the amp panel never got any more than warm and the wedges didn't break up into nasty distortion like some will.

One gig down, got another outdoor festival style setup this weekend.

Any questions or things you'd like feedback on I can pay attention to?

Scott Hibbard

Re: db Technologies Flexsys FM12
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »

George i have the smaller FM10's and love them! 

ScottH

George Dougherty

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »

George i have the smaller FM10's and love them! 

ScottH

Had a festival style event this weekend and everyone across the stage loved them.  Front line sat in the sun all day and the grill got hot to the touch.  Monitors had zero problems and coasted along all day.  Nothing near as loud as my previous concert event though.  Good to hear the whole family works well.  The FM10 might be a better lower cost option for a few churches I work with now and then.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:36:56 PM by George Dougherty »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.