ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Band makes judgement through a portable recorder.  (Read 21069 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Band makes judgement through a portable recorder.
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 08:44:53 PM »

In big venue maybe, but in anything smaller the recording will be distorted by stage volume.

I think it's already been established that this drummer can't or won't understand the problem with his rationale. This isn't a mixing job, it's a scapegoat job.

Yepper.

So, Gordon... did you do the gig and if so, how did it go?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 05:09:47 AM »

UPDATE: The job is now under my belt.

The first thing I did was to have a sit-down talk with the drummer before the show. I asked him what instrument he wanted to be the loudest in the mix, what next, and what should stand out the least. He was actually helpful and accurate in describing his goal and it gave me something to go on.

He wanted a "dance club" type mix with heavy low end. He told me that the backing track included lead vocals because his singer really wasn't that good. So, I needed to keep them equal. He also explained that the guitar player was merely lip-syncing his guitar with the keyboard on the backing track, that I needed to keep his level very low except during real guitar leads.

Now that I finally understood, I was able to work with them (not against them) as I mixed their show. I am happy to say it went pretty well. Someone must have told him that it sounded good because he (the drummer) gave me compliments at the end of the show.
Member since 2005.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Excellent outcome, good job. Better communication and a team approach put you both on the same page, and you learned some background (eg, importance of the backing track and lip syncing) that you otherwise might not have known. I suspect his complement reflected both better sound and his perception that you were working with them and not against them.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Thanks, George. ...And thanks to everyone for all of the help. Your replies had me considering every possible approach.

I heard from the original sound guy and he was pleased as well. I am relieved this turned out well for both parties. Hopefully it adds another penny to my reputation account somehow.

Thanks again.
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.