ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Band makes judgement through a portable recorder.  (Read 21067 times)

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
Re: Band makes judgement through a portable recorder.
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »

Always a tough call to negotiate this kind of stuff.  There are way too many variables on a night to night basis to evaluate the mix in such a way.  I would have a talk with the drummer and point out that if he's trusted to keep the beat you should be trusted to mind the mix.  If he doesn't buy that I would then multi-track record his performance.  After his nightly critique of your mix I'd then have a good chat with him about his timing not syncing perfectly to the grid on every beat, and show it to him.  That's shut 'em up in the past.
FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2012, 11:43:53 PM »

Ironically perhaps, I quit my last comfortable, decent paying day job because I found myself arguing with the guy who signed my paychecks.

Funny how that works  ;)
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 03:48:30 AM »

Ironically perhaps, I quit my last comfortable, decent paying day job because I found myself arguing with the guy who signed my paychecks. So I understand the need to also satisfy yourself.

A similar thing happened to me a decade ago, except I didn't get to quit.  :o
Mark McFarlane

Jack keaton

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »

how many of you would buy speakers just by listening to them on youtube?

No one..  What needs to happen is the drummer needs to listen to you mix another band.

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
Re: Re: Band makes judgement through a portable recorder.
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

I agree a well placed digital recorder of decent quality can sound pretty close to what the audience in that spot hears.
Exactly. I record from my mix position so I can evaluate my own work. If I'm in a weird spot, I already knew that from walking the room.

If the guy wants a bizarre mix, I'd still help out my friend...once.   

Doing a bad job for a good reason is still doing a bad job.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 02:02:19 PM »

I've already said this, but the drummer needs to record some different similar sized live gig and listen to the results, compared to what he remembers it sounding like.

We are ASSuming that he can't realistically evaluate what he hears. This is just another tool that could be useful if he uses it properly, or not if not.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

I've already said this, but the drummer needs to record some different similar sized live gig and listen to the results, compared to what he remembers it sounding like.

We are ASSuming that he can't realistically evaluate what he hears. This is just another tool that could be useful if he uses it properly, or not if not.

JR

My presumption is that the any evaluation of night-to-night live recordings under these circumstances is flawed because the recording process itself and acoustic environment (mic placement, room size/shape, etc) is subject to variation.  If we are talking about the same mics in the same place in the same room, then evaluating certain aspects of the mix can be valid.  As it is, there are too many variables that can influence the recording to make comparisons an exact science.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

My presumption is that the any evaluation of night-to-night live recordings under these circumstances is flawed because the recording process itself and acoustic environment (mic placement, room size/shape, etc) is subject to variation.  If we are talking about the same mics in the same place in the same room, then evaluating certain aspects of the mix can be valid.  As it is, there are too many variables that can influence the recording to make comparisons an exact science.

Listening to recordings post-performance to evaluate mix content tends to focus on "what's wrong" rather than "what's right".  We all know the power of negativity.  The one person out of 100 who complains will spoil things for the 99 who are (or were) satisfied.

I would wager that the drummer guy, if given the same recordings 5 years down the line, would likely comment something like, "Gee.  We really played good that night."

Recordings tend to "ripen up" over time.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

That is precisely my point. It should not take too many DIY recordings by the drummer, for him to realize the difference between what he heard in the room, and what the portable recorder heard.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »

That's one clue.  That the dude doesn't apparently doesn't trust anybody to give witness is another clue.  Probably a bad situation from the git-go, though for a one-off you can usually make it clear that you're the one-off doing-a-favor guy and don't have free time to sit around listening to bad live recordings.

Sheesh.  Isn't the correct tool for judging a bar gig the alcohol sales total?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2012, 06:33:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.