ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Specific question regarding Dante networking and ac-7 core  (Read 5834 times)

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
Specific question regarding Dante networking and ac-7 core
« on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »

Hi,

Since I am having problems with my setup of Yamaha Ls9-32 adat out into m-audio profire lightbridge into a iMac, I thought it might be a good idea to switch to Dante using to MY cards on the LS9. The problem relies on the profire driver, which has a wordclock issue.
My question is, I use AC-7 core on a ipod touch to remote control the daw in the iMac, will this feature be disable if I change to Dante since It is a network itself? In other words, can I work with Dante network and a regular wi-fi network at the same time?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Mark McFarlane

Re: Specific question regarding Dante networking and ac-7 core
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

Hi,

Since I am having problems with my setup of Yamaha Ls9-32 adat out into m-audio profire lightbridge into a iMac, I thought it might be a good idea to switch to Dante using to MY cards on the LS9. The problem relies on the profire driver, which has a wordclock issue.
My question is, I use AC-7 core on a ipod touch to remote control the daw in the iMac, will this feature be disable if I change to Dante since It is a network itself? In other words, can I work with Dante network and a regular wi-fi network at the same time?

Are you planning to use the Dante Virtual Sound Card as the interface to your iMac? 

Theoretically you can connect the Mac (or any other computer) to multiple networks so running Dante and a separate Wifi network for AC-7 shouldn't be a problem theoretically. I think the iMac only has a single Ethernet connector so you'd have to create a peer wifi network between the iMac and iPad.  Assuming you can get the basic network working, getting wifi and Dante working side by side in this configuration without dropping audio might be a challenge.

Have you used AC-7 Core much already?  I bought it a year or so ago and found it nearly impossible  to get a connection working reliably and it was 'too much effort' every time the system was restarted ( I forget the exact procedure but there was some manual work involved whenever you rebooted).  I threw it away.

I suspect you'll have better luck with this question on a recording forum, maybe Gearslutz or maybe Audient has their own forum.  AC-7 by itself isn't that significant, people use other remote control desktop tools like VNC.  If VNC works well in a peer wifi network with Dante over copper and you don't loose data, then AC-7 should work as well.
Mark McFarlane

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:11 PM »

I have 2 Dante cards in my LS9.
I run cables from each to a NETGEAR N600 series wireless router.
I also run a cable from the LS9 console Ethernet connector.
I connect either an iPad running Stagemix or a XP tablet running Airfader to the LS9 using the wireless.
I connect a MacBook Pro to the router using the Ethernet cable.
I can use Dante to send the direct outs to the MacBook and also use studio manager over the same network.

Dante shares well. However, I would not  do a lot of additional traffic as it might affect the streaming audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »

Are you planning to use the Dante Virtual Sound Card as the interface to your iMac? 

Theoretically you can connect the Mac (or any other computer) to multiple networks so running Dante and a separate Wifi network for AC-7 shouldn't be a problem theoretically. I think the iMac only has a single Ethernet connector so you'd have to create a peer wifi network between the iMac and iPad.  Assuming you can get the basic network working, getting wifi and Dante working side by side in this configuration without dropping audio might be a challenge.

Have you used AC-7 Core much already?  I bought it a year or so ago and found it nearly impossible  to get a connection working reliably and it was 'too much effort' every time the system was restarted ( I forget the exact procedure but there was some manual work involved whenever you rebooted).  I threw it away.

I suspect you'll have better luck with this question on a recording forum, maybe Gearslutz or maybe Audient has their own forum.  AC-7 by itself isn't that significant, people use other remote control desktop tools like VNC.  If VNC works well in a peer wifi network with Dante over copper and you don't loose data, then AC-7 should work as well.

I use Ac-7 Core at least twice a week, no problems at all. Just connect to the mac and everything works fine!

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »

I have 2 Dante cards in my LS9.
I run cables from each to a NETGEAR N600 series wireless router.
I also run a cable from the LS9 console Ethernet connector.
I connect either an iPad running Stagemix or a XP tablet running Airfader to the LS9 using the wireless.
I connect a MacBook Pro to the router using the Ethernet cable.
I can use Dante to send the direct outs to the MacBook and also use studio manager over the same network.

Dante shares well. However, I would not  do a lot of additional traffic as it might affect the streaming audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the rep! I don't think Ac-7 Core would cause a lot of traffic. Question, you don't use a switch? Just connect both cables into the netgear? I think I could get another router to run AC-7 Core and Stagemix, leaving a free connection for Dante, what do you think?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:03:55 PM by Airton Pereira Silva »

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »

For anyone who wants to do the same, I bought two Dante cards and could record and playback smoothly! I bought a simple Dlink 8 port switch, works fine. I run cables from the console (LS9) to the swtich and one cable to the mac. I also run two cables from two Sennhesier SR300 IEM to the same switch and one to another pc to control the monitors with Sennheiser WSM. Finally, I run a cable from the LS9 to a D-Link Wireless router to use Stagemix, which connects in the 5ghz band. The Ac-7 core connects through the same router but in the 2.5ghz band to the mac and pro tools 10.
It's a pretty complex setup, but I am happy that everything worked great!

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »

I did a quick video with my Zoom Q3 about the set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-8NtKdwh8

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »

Thanks for the rep! I don't think Ac-7 Core would cause a lot of traffic. Question, you don't use a switch? Just connect both cables into the netgear? I think I could get another router to run AC-7 Core and Stagemix, leaving a free connection for Dante, what do you think?

The Netgear wireless router has a built in 4 port switch in addition to the wireless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.