ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed  (Read 36044 times)

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »

so are you saying the 715s are not powerful enough and I should look at other speakers?

John, exactly what size rooms are you covering, gym sized? What sytle of music? Are you clipping the DJ mixer, or the amps?

If you are playing high compressed material, you should not be using an amp that outputs more that 800W into the 715s long term. Putting more dynamic material though them, like live music, you can apply the 1600W (or more) as stated in the specs.

If an 800W amp doesnt generate enough SPL for your needs (with compressed mp3. etc), you probably need more efficient speakers as the 715s are only 96db/1m, which are not the loudest speaker around.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:32:17 PM by Mike Christy »

john Her

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »

John, exactly what size rooms are you covering, gym sized? What sytle of music? Are you clipping the DJ mixer, or the amps?

If you are playing high compressed material, you should not be using an amp that outputs more that 800W into the 715s long term. Putting more dynamic material though them, like live music, you can apply the 1600W (or more) as stated in the specs.

If an 800W amp doesnt generate enough SPL for your needs (with compressed mp3. etc), you probably need more efficient speakers as the 715s are only 96db/1m, which are not the loudest speaker around.

Mike

Hi

In all fairness the subs have been on my shopping list for quite some time, SRX718

An average large sized venue where I would use 4 Srx715  may be about 30 meters wide by 60/80 long

This would be the large venues such as a golf club, smaller venues would be 20 meters by 15/20 meters, I would tend to use a pair only for this sized room.

The other thing I have been doing which may not help, if I am honest is when I use two (715s) I use them on the floor, to get a better bass out of them, though it means a lot of top frequencies are going into peoples legs and thus I may be pushing the tops harder than I should be.

So it obvious to me I need subs, Its just not all venues I work warrant using subs

I think my next purchase should be a a drive rack 260 and a pair of srx718 subs

I know people have said think about what you wrote, bla bla bla, but is adding more 715 to my system going to really help me?

Its obvious that the type of music I play for long periods of time is to much for the system as is at the moment.

It ok for people to say turn it down, I agree but sadly when you are working with a full dance floor in front of you, you don't realise the damage that is occurring until it's to late, this is happening over a period of weeks/months until I end up with a dull sounding box

My amplifiers are Crown Macrotech 5000i they are very powerful and I love the build quality of these amplifiers, I don't feel I need to change the amplifiers,

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:14:32 PM by john Her »

john Her

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks for all feedback

john Her

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the DBX drive rack can be setup for 2way active crossover and 3 way active crossover

Thus can be used with no subs for smaller venues and with sub for larger venues

Regards

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Can anyone tell me if the DBX drive rack can be setup for 2way active crossover and 3 way active crossover

Thus can be used with no subs for smaller venues and with sub for larger venues

Regards

Both of the common dbx Driveracks will let you have multiple presets, so you can have one for with subs and one without subs. The Driverack PA+ only has 2 inputs so you cannot do subs on an aux, the Driverack 260 has 3 inputs so you can use the third input for a sub send if you want. There are lots of other DSP speaker processors besides the dbx lineup.

Mac

ps There are no capital letters in the name of the company that uses founder David Blackmer's initials in their name, it is dbx, not DBX. There is 1 capital letter in the abbreviation of deciBel, dB.

john Her

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »

Hi would you suggest anything better than the dbx lineup? or is dbx the way to go

regards

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:22 PM »

The other thing I have been doing which may not help, if I am honest is when I use two (715s) I use them on the floor, to get a better bass out of them, though it means a lot of top frequencies are going into peoples legs and thus I may be pushing the tops harder than I should be.

I think this is a major source of your trouble.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

I think this is a major source of your trouble.

I bet your kneecaps thought it sounded great.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 04:56:33 PM »

I bet your kneecaps thought it sounded great.

Great set up.  That way you could hear the music while biting ankles.....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

john Her

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »

The problem is put the speakers up in the air and no bass !,

it would seem you can have the best of all for smaller venues.

Mid & top if you put them up in the air or an overall full range of frequencies on the stage floor

Over all I appreciate everyone's feedback, it has been more than helpful thank you,  though shame about the odd flippant arrogant replies that just come across as unhelpful and make the person look uneducated.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:20:20 AM by john Her »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.