ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed  (Read 36036 times)

Jack keaton

Re: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

This post just made me dumber.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »

Typical response from the uneducated and inexperienced. You compare the JRX series to the SRX series? Really? LMFAO

I've had a few BEs complain about the "JBL sound" and problem frequencies, I might lend the argument some credibility but none of them can ever seem to agree on what that frequency is. My thoughts are that when you reach SRX (and equivalent competitor lines) levels of equipment, any issues with box performance is typically operator error.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »

A buddy of mine (and damn good engineer) said once that JBL made their horns out of recycled ninjas. Because they were "angry and had a bunch of sharp points"

Lol
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

john Her

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 07:46:52 AM »

Hi

I am a mobile DJ and last Christmas I upgraded my amps and speaker, I purchased

4 x JBL SRX715 Speakers,

and 2 Crown Macrotech 5000i amplifiers

with the idea that I would use one amp for the 4 SRX715

and the other amp for my JBL subs when I purchase,

My thoughts were what a great sound system, and I must say I love the crown macrotech 5000i amplifier

Its fair to say I push the speakers hard when I DJ,  sometimes I use 4 and other times only two

A few of the things I don't like with SRX715s are ...

1) there not very sweet sounding, the top frequencies seem very suppressed until they are pushed quite hard

2) they have to be driven very hard before they come to life

3) It seems the top diaphragm over time deteriorate in sound quality rather than just blow like other diaphragms.

I replaced 4 diaphragms with genuine JBL replacements in the summer, due to the overall sound of the speakers sounding poor (Mid & Top) and it would seem it's that time again as I am not liking the quality from the speakers.

I understand I should run them with subs, but I do not like the way the overall quality seems to slowly deteriorate over time when pushing them hard ?

replacing the diaphragms is not cheap, $700 a time and twice in one year is not good either, please note I am not changing the 4 diaphragms again because they have totally blown, its because the over sound quality sounds dull.

so I would like other peoples feedback on these speakers, they are not cheap to buy and to be honest I am not over impressed with them.

Yes they are nice and light but they need a lot of driving before they come alive and if they are driven to hard they slowly start to sound poor.

Is there anything better out there for a pumping sound system, that sounds great and takes lots of punishment.

I love a strong top end, with a pleasant sounding mid range and obviously a great sounding bottom end, I know this will come from a decent pair of subs.

I'm just not sure the the SRX 715s are my best option as I seem to keep damaging them.

I have always been a JBL fan and had JBL speakers, I'm now wondering if there are other makes of speaker that might do the JOB better for me.

Any feed back and info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Hi Guys

First of all thank you for your replies, makes very interesting reading.

My hearing is fine, I know when a sound system sounds good and blows you away with quality, and when I replace the diaphragms they sound great.

My problem is overtime, I am obviously driving them too hard and slowly making the 715s sound dull, and thus I assume frying the coils, but not to the point of blowing them.

I own and have been using a dbx 1066 Dual Compressor / Limiter / Gate with limited success, I guess due to sometimes using two speakers for smaller venues and other times using 4,

I am feeling from your suggestions that the dbx drive  rack products are much more intelligent when it comes to protecting speakers and as they have my amps and speakers already pre programmed for selection when setting up, this must be a major plus point.

My only concern is, can the dbx drive rack be used with only 2 or 4,  715s and no subs, as there are times for smaller venues that I will not be using subs ?

I am hoping the answer is yes, I have been finding out more info on the drive rack product range and watching some videos on the dbx products, they seem very impressive.

Some one also suggested upgrading the diaphragms to Titanium Or Beryllium not a cheap option but may be worth while, as I believe these diaphragms are used in more expensive JBL top ends.

How impressive are the DBX Drive Racks, do they really work well ?, I am assuming one can have different profiles for different setups configurations,

I know there are a few people, that have quoted "It's only a DJ" and almost been arrogant in there reply, I am not uneducated, I spend my life trying to reach perfection or as close as I can afford to it. Any educated person out there will know I have not cut corners with my kit,

I know this factual as most DJs I know in the UK and not using this grade of speakers or amplifiers, I use Pioneer CDJ 2000 decks and xone:92 Allen & Heath Mixer

My main profession is an electronics engineer and I repair many professional products.

So I know I have a problem that needs to be addressed and I appreciate all positive replies from people that are not arrogant, I'm not the first person to damage a pair of JBL diaphragms and I am sure I will not be last. What's important with any problem is NOT keep making the same mistake over and over and thus why I have posted here.

I have the DBX crossover too, but have not used it yet as I am still to purchase some subs. though I kind of get the impression the dbx drive rack has a crossover built in, so If I purchase the Drive rack I will not need my current dbx limiter 1066 or dbx crossover.

Is it worth by passing the passive crossovers in the 715s and run the mid and top active, if so what amplifier would one suggest using to run the tops, as my macrotech 5000i is far to powerful.

also if I run the 715s active can the drive rack supply full range frequencies to the 715 if I choose not to use subs for the smaller venues.

I do appreciate your help and feedback, all I want to do is get my system right and prevent further damage in  the future and it would seem the two missing ingredients is a DSP and Subs

I look forward to your replies

and thank you in advance

Regards

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:01:42 AM by john Her »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »

You can read myriad threads on these forums regarding protecting sound systems from DJ's.  You can read an equal number on Drive Racks.  The bottom line is that there is no really practical way to use a piece of gear to keep DJ (ab)use from degrading speaker performance over time or flat-out destroying drivers.

The only things that will save your speakers are:

1.  Knowing what NOT to do.
2.  Having enough "rig for the gig" so as not to push the gear past it's maximum capacity in search for enough volume and presence.

Knowledge on the part of the operator is the only really effective tool.  No rack-mountable processor can substitute for the needed knowledge.  So.....

Learn how far you can safely push your gear and stay within those limits.  If you can't do your job within those limits, you need more and better gear.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Spenser Hamilton

JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »

Does anybody think that incorrect settings on the 1066 could be causing, or contributing to, the issues?

Also, stick with the JBL spec'd driver IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »

Does anybody think that ........... the 1066 could be causing, or contributing to, the issues?

Gee.  Ya think?

john Her

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »

You can read myriad threads on these forums regarding protecting sound systems from DJ's.  You can read an equal number on Drive Racks.  The bottom line is that there is no really practical way to use a piece of gear to keep DJ (ab)use from degrading speaker performance over time or flat-out destroying drivers.

The only things that will save your speakers are:

1.  Knowing what NOT to do.
2.  Having enough "rig for the gig" so as not to push the gear past it's maximum capacity in search for enough volume and presence.

Knowledge on the part of the operator is the only really effective tool.  No rack-mountable processor can substitute for the needed knowledge.  So.....

Learn how far you can safely push your gear and stay within those limits.  If you can't do your job within those limits, you need more and better gear.

Hi Even if I always used all 4 SRX 715s all the time, It's clear I am driving them at times too hard,

so are you saying the 715s are not powerful enough and I should look at other speakers? when you say you need more and better gear.

I seem to be getting many conflicting replies, some people saying use dbx drive racks, some people saying get bigger speakers

So are the thoughts now that dbx drive rack are not much good to help me with this issue?

I think in wisdom, CROWN should have used a BIG RED LED for there clip indicator,

Anyway any further views and feedback always appreciated

Thanks in advance

Regards

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:10 PM »

Gee.  Ya think?

I watched DJ's destroy a set of SRX725's used as BOOTH MONITORS!  -Standing at the DJ table was probably not that different than being behind a jet engine at takeoff. 

If DJ's can endure that level then ask for more then I strongly doubt nothing will make them happy.

(The club had a live sound stage setup and the speakers were normally the sidefill monitors and had seen years of service with no problems)

The SRX line of speakers is the best sounding version of the series ever.  No more of the JBL "horn" sound that everybody seems to complain about (rightly-so as even I remember dealing with 2445's on 2380 horns) but give the new SRX a good listen before lumping them in with all previous products.

In many ways providing good pro gear for "pro" club DJ's is akin to laying pearls before swine -and I say that after just retiring from 2 straight years of managing a large trendy nightclub in southern california so I've seen enough attitude, ego and equipment carnage to put me off of that end of our business for a long time.

It was the "pro" guest DJ's that were always the problem.  The local regular guys were still mold-able and after a couple years were starting to focus on quality and not just quantity.

I replaced the flaming 725's with a pair of my custom 8" coax (radian driver) set right on the DJ table L&R
-on a slow-recovery buss-compressor before the A/D of the processor -followed by a hard output limiter within the processor (for spikes that get past the analog) set at -10 from clipping on a smaller QSC amp.  They got loud enough to hurt your ears yet were far enough below maximum ratings on the driver they will run forever with the mixer booth output hard-clipped -and they have now for the last 6 months.

As far as the O-P is concerned, go get yourself some V-35 Cerwins and L-36 bass cabs.  I'm not joking - you will be happy and probably won't have any burnout problems.  -And this is learned knowledge from a  very smart equipment dealer in the LA area that has been servicing the mobile DJ industry for decades.  Something about the smoothness and flatness of high quality gear doesn't make it sound as "loud" as middle-range DJ oriented gear.  I used to laugh at this, but when people kept bringing back blown-up JBL, EV and EAW all while the C-V stuff just kept on going! -I began to see the light :-)

Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

Hi Even if I always used all 4 SRX 715s all the time, It's clear I am driving them at times too hard,

Read what you wrote.  Think about it.

100% of the driver failures in DJ use are caused by driving things too hard.

Until you understand this and the light that it throws on the replies you receive you will continue to blow things up.

I'm not going to reply any more.  You've been given the information you need.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.