ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed  (Read 36037 times)

john Her

JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »

Hi

I am a mobile DJ and last Christmas I upgraded my amps and speaker, I purchased

4 x JBL SRX715 Speakers,

and 2 Crown Macrotech 5000i amplifiers

with the idea that I would use one amp for the 4 SRX715

and the other amp for my JBL subs when I purchase,

My thoughts were what a great sound system, and I must say I love the crown macrotech 5000i amplifier

Its fair to say I push the speakers hard when I DJ,  sometimes I use 4 and other times only two

A few of the things I don't like with SRX715s are ...

1) there not very sweet sounding, the top frequencies seem very suppressed until they are pushed quite hard

2) they have to be driven very hard before they come to life

3) It seems the top diaphragm over time deteriorate in sound quality rather than just blow like other diaphragms.

I replaced 4 diaphragms with genuine JBL replacements in the summer, due to the overall sound of the speakers sounding poor (Mid & Top) and it would seem it's that time again as I am not liking the quality from the speakers.

I understand I should run them with subs, but I do not like the way the overall quality seems to slowly deteriorate over time when pushing them hard ?

replacing the diaphragms is not cheap, $700 a time and twice in one year is not good either, please note I am not changing the 4 diaphragms again because they have totally blown, its because the over sound quality sounds dull.

so I would like other peoples feedback on these speakers, they are not cheap to buy and to be honest I am not over impressed with them.

Yes they are nice and light but they need a lot of driving before they come alive and if they are driven to hard they slowly start to sound poor.

Is there anything better out there for a pumping sound system, that sounds great and takes lots of punishment.

I love a strong top end, with a pleasant sounding mid range and obviously a great sounding bottom end, I know this will come from a decent pair of subs.

I'm just not sure the the SRX 715s are my best option as I seem to keep damaging them.

I have always been a JBL fan and had JBL speakers, I'm now wondering if there are other makes of speaker that might do the JOB better for me.

Any feed back and info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Chris Chambers

• Melbourne, Australia
    • MAD Productions
Re: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »

It's just a DJ...

Anywho - you'll need to change your display name to your real name: forum rules.

I don't think i've seen a negative thing about the SRX series...

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:20:37 PM »

1) there not very sweet sounding, the top frequencies seem very suppressed until they are pushed quite hard

Please get a hearing test done by a qualified person. Odds are great that you have damaged your hearing which in turn is causing this effect.

I understand I should run them with subs, but I do not like the way the overall quality seems to slowly deteriorate over time when pushing them hard ?

replacing the diaphragms is not cheap, $700 a time and twice in one year is not good either, please note I am not changing the 4 diaphragms again because they have totally blown, its because the over sound quality sounds dull.

Regards

You are most likely frying the voice coils.

Time to bring enough rig for the gig or stop cranking them so loud.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »

Hi

I am a mobile DJ
I'm just not sure the the SRX 715s are my best option as I seem to keep damaging them.

Your choices:

1.  Learn how to power and operate your system to protect the drivers from damage.
2.  Be prepared to pay the price for abusing your gear.

Just buying heavier duty speakers does not guarantee that you won't end up with loss of sound quality by "DJ'ing" them.

As the old country doctor said, "If it hurts when you do that.......STOP DOING THAT!"

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Randall Hyde

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:31 AM »

Hi

4 x JBL SRX715 Speakers,

And, might I as, how do you arrange your four speakers when you use them? For example, if you do the obvious: two per side with the grills parallel, well, welcome to the world of comb filtering that can do wonderful things to your sound. Granted, at 1KHz the null and lobes will probably be no more than a foot apart, but this can definitely have an impact on how you perceive the sound from these guys (especially outdoors).

Not a bad choice. However, I run my SRX 712m monitor wedges off an ITech 8000 and an XLS 602 (biamped). I *do* however, use a speaker management system (DBX DriveRack 260 in this case). Which is probably why I don't blow up the speakers.

My thoughts were what a great sound system, and I must say I love the crown macrotech 5000i amplifier

Its fair to say I push the speakers hard when I DJ,  sometimes I use 4 and other times only two

Now I use SRX 725 cabs rather than SRX 715, but they sound a whole lot better to me when I'm not pushing them to their limits. And this is a guy with substantial hearing loss above 1K. When they get really loud, I need to be far away from them or they rip my ears off.

96 dB SPL @ 1w/1m isn't great, but not terrible either (725 columns have 99 dB SPL IIRC). Yes, it takes over twice the power on the 715 cabs to reach the same levels as my 725 cabinets. JBL SRX equipment is known to be rather power hungry (though not as bad as some gear out there). For me, 99 dB SPL @1w/1m seems to be the sweet spot. You can get some Danley gear that blows these numbers away (SH46 comes to mind), but you'll pay 2-3x the price of the SRX gear to achieve that.

BTW, my 712m wedges have 95 dB SPL @1w/1m, which is why I biamp them and drive the LF driver with an ITech.

3) It seems the top diaphragm over time deteriorate in sound quality rather than just blow like other diaphragms.
I run my 725 cabs (which, AFAIK, use the same compression driver as the 715) loud all the time. I've done shows with 3,000 people with four of these cabs (plus subs, of course). Granted, I use the limiter in a DBX Driver 4800 to protect the speakers, but I've never had a problem.

I replaced 4 diaphragms with genuine JBL replacements in the summer, due to the overall sound of the speakers sounding poor (Mid & Top) and it would seem it's that time again as I am not liking the quality from the speakers.

Time to invest in a loudspeaker management system. As you've got Harmon gear (JBL+Crown), I'd strongly recommend a DBX DriveRack 260. Much cheaper than replacing HF drivers.

DR 260 costs around $950 on the street. Buy one.

so I would like other peoples feedback on these speakers, they are not cheap to buy and to be honest I am not over impressed with them.
If you are not impressed with them because they blow up, invest in a limiter (such as the DR 260). If you are not impressed with them because of the sound they produce, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. While most people are at least okay with the sound of the SRX, there are some people who don't like them. You may very well be one of those people.

Yes they are nice and light but they need a lot of driving before they come alive and if they are driven to hard they slowly start to sound poor.
Hint: a limiter can be your friend.

Is there anything better out there for a pumping sound system, that sounds great and takes lots of punishment.
Absolutely. How much money do you want to spend? I've mentioned Danley; they universally get great reviews. However, you'll spend $3,000-$5,000 for typical cabinets from Danley rather than $1,500.

[/quote
I love a strong top end, with a pleasant sounding mid range and obviously a great sounding bottom end, I know this will come from a decent pair of subs.
[/quote]
You might also want to consider a 3-way system. Definitely consider going biamp-ed or tri-amped (when you get subs).

If you keep damaging SRX cabinets, you're clearly doing something wrong. Again, a limiter can be your friend. If the limiter prevents you from driving the speakers to the point you like the sound, then you need something better than an SRX 715. Consider the VRX 915 which has a much better horn in it.

I have always been a JBL fan and had JBL speakers, I'm now wondering if there are other makes of speaker that might do the JOB better for me.
I have always been a fan of (pro-level) Harmon International gear. Some recent experiences with their PRX 625 cabinets have made me question my loyalty to that company (granted, most people would not consider the PRX line "pro" gear). As soon as I can afford it, I'd like to move up to something like Danley. If you've got the bucks, I'd look into that line as well.

Note however, that you can blow up Danley drivers just as easily as JBL (more easily, in fact as they are far more sensitive that SRX cabinets and, therefore, tend to operate at much lower power levels).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

P.S. I wouldn't mention that you're a DJ blowing up SRX gear. That just reinforces the opinions many people have of DJs around here :)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 01:16:56 AM »

After 45 years of JBL I would have to say the SRX series is a success all around. There are better speakers, but not so much better that most people could notice as long as the SRX cabinets are used properly and that means a DSP. My system is all 725s and 718s that are never run to their limits, simply because there is never a real reason to do so. Saying this and based on my experience with the SRX line I'll put my money on those 715s being abused. Buy some subs, a DSP, and a book, "DJs and speaker destruction 101".
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 02:52:34 AM »

DR 260 costs around $950 on the street.

They're quite a bit cheaper than that if you know where to look

Ted Christensen

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »

Hi

4 x JBL SRX715 Speakers,

Any feed back and info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Without ready anything but how you don't like Jbl and the top end I have to agree.

3.15k is a problem...even more of a problem the jbls I mix on

Junky but loud

Jbl.

P.s. I have only heard the jrx and srx line and mixed on those can't comment on vrx or higher
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

Typical response from the uneducated and inexperienced. You compare the JRX series to the SRX series? Really? LMFAO
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

Typical response from the uneducated and inexperienced. You compare the JRX series to the SRX series? Really? LMFAO

Yep.  Those new jeans make your ass look fat.......
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.