ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed  (Read 36046 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: JBL SRX715 Not Over Impressed
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Great set up.  That way you could hear the music while biting ankles.....

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »

I think this is a major source of your trouble.

that,and trying to do 90' x 200' rooms with only 4 overpowered fullrange speakers! 
I would say that those 715's being alive at all under those conditions is a testament to their quality!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »

I seem to be getting many conflicting replies, some people saying use dbx drive racks, some people saying get bigger speakers

Those are complementary rather than conficting recommendations.  The signal processing could help you get the most from your existing system and also help protect it from being pushed too hard.  However, it sounds like you need more from your system than it currently may be able to provide without being damaged.  And anything you do there likely could still benefit from thge signal processing.

The problem is put the speakers up in the air and no bass !,

No bass where?  You might want to read http://fulcrum-acoustic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/comments-on-half-space.pdf.  To listeners some distance from the speaker both the source (the speaker) and receiver (the listeners) may effectively be on the same boundary plane (the floor) and thus any related 'half space' loading for the direct sound is independent of the speaker location.  So any increase in the low frequency levels resulting from putting the speaker on the floor may be limited to listeners up close to the speakers and/or due more to increased indirect low frequency energy that is reflected off the walls and ceilings rather than due to any increase in the direct sound.

So put together up to 100' x 200'-250' rooms, DJ use, no subs, the mains on the floor, no processing and so on and it's not surprising that your SRX715s aren't working for you, but that's likely more a result of the application of the product than of the product itself.  Before you make any changes it might be good to try to assess what improvements or performance you do expect, that way you can have some better basis for selcting appropriate solutions for your applications.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »

The other thing I have been doing which may not help, if I am honest is when I use two (715s) I use them on the floor, to get a better bass out of them, though it means a lot of top frequencies are going into peoples legs and thus I may be pushing the tops harder than I should be.

Whoa!
Wish this fact was mentioned in the first post. There's your problem no question about it.
Don't get more tops, get some subs. The horns on your 715 ought to be at least 7' in the air. Heck yeah, the high-end is going to sound dull if those guys are sitting on the floor.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

john Her

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »

ok here is my plan to go forward over the next week or so...

1) 4 new genuine JBL Diaphragms from the USA are now waiting at UK customs, should have them in the next few days. I will repair all the tops for a 2nd time this year

Not sure if the I have damaged the mid drivers ? hard to tell, the cones/coils are not rubbing, but worst ways I can replace 4 of these 15" drivers too.

2) I already own speaker stands, so no big issue there, I will use them in the future when not using subs, and just suffer lack of bass, I also understand the mid & top frequencies should be at ear level, not at leg level.

3) Will keep my two Crown Macrotech 5000i amplifiers, one being used to drive either 2 or 4 of the mid range drivers in the 715s,

4) the other Crown Macrotech 5000i amplifier will drive the two new subs I plan to purchase in the next few days being 2 x SRX 718 cabs

5) I plan to purchase a dbx Drive Rack 260 DSP, hope it is the right choice?

6) I will also purchase 1u Matrix XT800 amplifier for my Tops in the SRX715

7) and thus running the system 3 way or two way fully active depending If I am using subs

8) I will always ensure there is NO Clipping on any of the 3 amplifiers, though the only thing that does worry me is any badly recorded CDs I may own, but I am hoping the Drive Rack should prevent any nasty transients or clips etc.

I would like to think this should go somewhere close to improving things and making me a little more happy with the overall sound of my system.

I am also guessing the HiFi I have always been hoping for will not happen due to the size of the HF drivers, that's the feedback I have read on this post from others

Also another thank you to everyone's input, appreciated.....

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:16 AM »

4) the other Crown Macrotech 5000i amplifier will drive the two new subs I plan to purchase in the next few days being 2 x SRX 718 cabs

6) I will also purchase 1u Matrix XT800 amplifier for my Tops in the SRX715

I'd rather see a pair of 728 (or 4 718) than spending money bi-amping those tops, in the short term at least. Two 718 will keep up with a pair of 715, when you run all 4 tops the subs will likely be left in the dust.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 08:32:24 AM »

I'd rather see a pair of 728 (or 4 718) than spending money bi-amping those tops, in the short term at least. Two 718 will keep up with a pair of 715, when you run all 4 tops the subs will likely be left in the dust.

This

When I have used the SRX line, I'm usually perfectly happy with the passive crossover. You would be miles ahead by having at least 4 18" subs under your tops. In your situation I would go for 4 of the 718's so you can maximize your set up options.

Just as an example, you could easily run 4 SRX728's under the tops you have and be perfectly fine. To make real bass, it takes a lot of cones and power. 4 718's will get you happy, but if you are doing some big high school event you might want more.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »

This

When I have used the SRX line, I'm usually perfectly happy with the passive crossover. You would be miles ahead by having at least 4 18" subs under your tops. In your situation I would go for 4 of the 718's so you can maximize your set up options.

Just as an example, you could easily run 4 SRX728's under the tops you have and be perfectly fine. To make real bass, it takes a lot of cones and power. 4 718's will get you happy, but if you are doing some big high school event you might want more.

Agreed as well.  Spend your money on more subs rather than bi-amping.  Get used to running them in passive mode without blowing them up before you try to run them bi-amped.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »

This

Now we're on to something.

Goerge, this is the "real deal" advice.  Run your tops passive, spend your money on subs.  A 718 for each top box is a good start.

As for an up-thread comment about keeping your amps out of clipping with DSP... for your subs, don't sweat a clip light that only flashes *briefly* on peaks.  Seriously, it's not going to hurt anything.  The amount of limiting necessary to keep that light off will squash the life out of any dynamic range that might exist in your program material.  What you don't want to see are clip lights that stay on.  As for clipping in general I think it's important to understand that clipping, by and of itself, does NOT damage speakers.  If it did, rock and roll distorted guitar sounds would have blown every car radio and home stereo by 1972.  Speakers die because of mechanical abuse or heat.

Mechanical failures occur because the transducer is operating outside the physical design limits of its materials, adhesives, or structure.  Heat failures are caused by exceeding the thermal dissipation capability of the voice coil and its surrounding magnetic structure.  Highly compressed signals get that way by lowering the peak, thereby INCREASING the average voltage sent to the voice coil.  The coil will get hotter and stay that way once you run out of thermal headroom.

Using a conventional single-stage compressor/limiter will not offer you any real system protection and may be contributing to the premature aging of your HF.  To answer an earlier question, it is not likely that you need to recone the 15s yet.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ps. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

Reply #1

If you are running full-range cabs and only blowing up the HF drivers, then that tells me your sound must be excruciatingly bright.  That is the sound that makes me leave an event early, but apparantly you are doing OK with it.  I really expected this thread to be problems blowing up woofers.  Perhaps you are playing in very acoustically damped rooms, or really huge and reflective ones,  where you would then (maybe) need all that HF.  Is your problem getting the sound to "penetrate" in those rooms, causing you to drive the top end so hard? 

This, to me, is perplexing. 

-Dennis
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 12:46:40 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.