ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ELX118 Wrong power handling advertised?  (Read 2061 times)

Mario Maric

ELX118 Wrong power handling advertised?
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:47 pm »

I tired contacting EV on this, but they never responded. They advertise the ELX118 (passive) as 400w rms. I was looking at the back of the physical sub itself and it says 350w. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: ELX118 Wrong power handling advertised?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:33:03 pm »

I tired contacting EV on this, but they never responded. They advertise the ELX118 (passive) as 400w rms. I was looking at the back of the physical sub itself and it says 350w. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Thanks.

It's funny, EV doesnt seem to list raw driver specs on their site, at least I can't find them - but it seems to be their generic entry level low freq driver used everywhere.

There is less than 1dbSPL difference between applying 350 and 400W, so it should be of little concern if your looking at output.

Mike

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:51:53 pm »

Thanks.
That is only 0.5dB.  Not enough to worry about.

However a possible explanation gets a bit complicated.  First of all- loudspeakers don't handle wattage-they handle voltage.  The "wattage" is a number that is based on (usually) the nominal impedance.  The REAL wattage varies quite a bit with freq-but people do not like to see hundreds of different wattage ratings for the same loudspeaker (different freq).

It could be that the driver (in free air) is rated at 350 watts-based on a particular applied voltage and a nominal rated impedance.

If that driver is mounted in the cabinet and the impedance rises-then the voltage applied could be higher-and then the same "nominal" impedance is used (People don't like to see a rating of 9 ohms for example)-so the "wattage" number is higher-because that is the voltage that can be applied to the driver.

At least that is the "simple" answer.

Personally I would not worry about it-the difference is simply to small.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mario Maric

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:08 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't really worried. I just found it a little weird since the other speakers in that series match the advertised ratings.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I wasn't really worried. I just found it a little weird since the other speakers in that series match the advertised ratings.
I used to have a pair of Eliminator Doubles (EV) that had a power rating of 600 watts on the cabinet. There were places on EV's website that advertised their power handling as 700 watts. Weird.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.