ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RF options for "wireless" measurements  (Read 5533 times)

peter dakin

RF options for "wireless" measurements
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »

Just finished a recent theatre tour, with most days having "circles" and "gods".
Running up and down stairs moving my wired measurement mic, whilst keeping me fit, is a little laborious. I was wondering if anyone is using a cheapish rf adaptor to change rta mic into a wireless?
obviously there's the lectrasonics kit, but thats way out of my budget.

My main concerns are effects on measurements.
The shure ur3 specs should suggest as long as not doing subs, all should be ok. But at $1000+ over here in Europe, I'll stick to running up and down stairs.

Anyone any cheaper recommendations? I mainly freelance to a Shure "house" so shure receiver comparability would be helpful. I've been using a dpa lav to help in arenas for delay times, but its useless for measurements.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: RF options for "wireless" measurements
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:13 AM »

Just finished a recent theatre tour, with most days having "circles" and "gods".
Running up and down stairs moving my wired measurement mic, whilst keeping me fit, is a little laborious. I was wondering if anyone is using a cheapish rf adaptor to change rta mic into a wireless?
obviously there's the lectrasonics kit, but thats way out of my budget.

My main concerns are effects on measurements.
The shure ur3 specs should suggest as long as not doing subs, all should be ok. But at $1000+ over here in Europe, I'll stick to running up and down stairs.

Anyone any cheaper recommendations? I mainly freelance to a Shure "house" so shure receiver comparability would be helpful. I've been using a dpa lav to help in arenas for delay times, but its useless for measurements.

As you seem to realize, you can use pretty much anything for timing, a HH probably mounts on a stand easier than the DPA lav. As long as  the DPA lav is an omni it should be reasonably accurate for measurements, the issue is the RF chain. Any companding in the RF chain may effect the measurement. This is why the Lectrosonics kit is the go to RF measurement system, it has no companding. Another possibility at lower cost is the Line 6 digital RF mics, but it still requires buying a whole system. Most RF mics are not suitable for FFT type measurements.

Mac

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »

As you seem to realize, you can use pretty much anything for timing, a HH probably mounts on a stand easier than the DPA lav. As long as  the DPA lav is an omni it should be reasonably accurate for measurements, the issue is the RF chain. Any companding in the RF chain may effect the measurement. This is why the Lectrosonics kit is the go to RF measurement system, it has no companding. Another possibility at lower cost is the Line 6 digital RF mics, but it still requires buying a whole system. Most RF mics are not suitable for FFT type measurements.

Mac
As mentioned elsewhere, the Line6 gear can work fine, however the bodypack doesn't supply phantom power, just bias voltage.  I believe Doug Fowler said he's using a Countryman product:
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,140116.0.html

Paul Tucci

• SR Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

I'm cheap too. I scoured eBay for a while and found an older non-companding EV unit. It's non-agile but so far well worth the $125 I spent on it. Happy hunting!

PT

Grant Conklin

• G-Force Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »

Has anyone tried the new AKG digital products for this? 

http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,1250,pid,1250,nodeid,2,_language,EN,country,ENUS.html
No, but am I the only one that finds the lack of a control panel/computer hook up to this particular receiver a bit disconcerting?

Mark Edwards

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »

No, but am I the only one that finds the lack of a control panel/computer hook up to this particular receiver a bit disconcerting?

Yup, and the 30m range!

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

And the only means to program the transmitter is the IR sync from the receiver; there is no other way.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.