ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is anyone use the PreSonus AUDIOBOX 1818 vls for LIVE mixer  (Read 18087 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: Is anyone use the PreSonus AUDIOBOX 1818 vls for LIVE mixer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »

so then it is NOT like a rackmount sl 16.4.2 (cut down) where it can run standalone with JUST the Ipad ap to control it as a FOH Mixer with NO recording?
Reason I bring it up is that PreSonus SEEMS to be implying that this Ipad only no PC needed is a feature
Thanks
Sharyn

For one thing the 1818 is a USB device.  The iPad does not have a USB port, so I think it is pretty obvious that you need a computer.

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 01:05:10 PM »

For one thing the 1818 is a USB device.  The iPad does not have a USB port, so I think it is pretty obvious that you need a computer.
Thanks. I did not know if PerSonus might have added a Ethernet port.
Sharyn

Bill McKelvey

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 09:01:43 PM »

Quote from: Chuck Simon
Thanks. I did not know if PerSonus might have added a Ethernet port.
Sharyn

iPads have a USB port with a Camera Connection Kit. Many audio devices are able to connect to an iPad with a CCK.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »

I considered this option when looking for a mixer for corporate and small band gigs.   I went with the Mackie DL1608 and couldn't be happier with it.

Plug the router directly into the mixer, no need for a laptop. 
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Sharyn Ferrick

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 02:43:58 AM »

I considered this option when looking for a mixer for corporate and small band gigs.   I went with the Mackie DL1608 and couldn't be happier with it.

Plug the router directly into the mixer, no need for a laptop.

It will be interesting to see if Mackie releases a version that is small format rack mount where the IPAD does not need to have physical connection space, and simply always works either over wireless lan OR with an extended docking connector.
Sharyn 

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

iPads have a USB port with a Camera Connection Kit. Many audio devices are able to connect to an iPad with a CCK.

You need a laptop to run the VSL software and you need the VSL software to use the 1818.

Matt Long

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »

I use the 1818 for live. It's nice because I don't need a snake. The big down side is the gains are on the box :'(. I don't have an Ipad anymore so I use VNC on my iphone to connect to my laptop running VSL with screen sharing enabled in os. If the gains were motorized and you could control remotely that would be amazing. I plan on getting a 1u rack mount computer to run VSL and a 8x8 AD/DA adat unit to get those extra inputs.  I do like the presets you can drag on to the channel and that you can define your own.

-Matt

Steve Schow

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 12:30:05 AM »

I use the 1818 for live. It's nice because I don't need a snake. The big down side is the gains are on the box :'(. I don't have an Ipad anymore so I use VNC on my iphone to connect to my laptop running VSL with screen sharing enabled in os. If the gains were motorized and you could control remotely that would be amazing. I plan on getting a 1u rack mount computer to run VSL and a 8x8 AD/DA adat unit to get those extra inputs.  I do like the presets you can drag on to the channel and that you can define your own.

-Matt

I have a question, does the ipad use also require the use of VNC?  I'd like to hear more about this 1u pc you get for the rack.  Sounds like a nice setup, especially when you have 16 channels.  Can another 1818 be used for the other 8 channels?

Also, can the unit be configured completely from the front panel, or only with PC software? I would be a little concerned if PC down for any reason, unable to use as mixer?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 12:40:04 AM by Steve Schow »

Frank Povazanj

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »

Also, can the unit be configured completely from the front panel, or only with PC software? I would be a little concerned if PC down for any reason, unable to use as mixer?

It needs a PC. All DSP is executed on the PC and fed back to 1818vls. It cannot work as a standalone unit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 09:04:17 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 24 queries.