ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple DVI over UTP  (Read 3155 times)

MishaVolf

Multiple DVI over UTP
« on: October 23, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

Hey All,

I'm specing a 14 panel video wall installation. The run (as is the case in most situations) is too long for DVI, so some kind of extension is required (probably over UTP). There's a wide range of products that will do this, mostly over some kind of TX/RX component pair.

Here's my question. Since the number of lines is relatively large - 14 - running that many lines, each with a set of DVI over UTP extension modules, can get expensive. Is there a more elegant solution, that will allow me to multiplex the 14 lines of DVI over just a few lines of something else, and then split it back out at the destination?

The budget is generous but obviously, the most cost effective solution is the one that most simply solves the problem.

Shane Gavin

Re: Multiple DVI over UTP
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »

Opticomm makes 16 slot card frames that you can populate with DVI to fiber cards.  Then you could pull a single multi-pair fiber snake in between two frames mounted in racks.  I have never used their products, so I don't have any knowledge of their quality. 

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »

I'm specing a 14 panel video wall installation. The run (as is the case in most situations) is too long for DVI, so some kind of extension is required (probably over UTP). There's a wide range of products that will do this, mostly over some kind of TX/RX component pair.

Here's my question. Since the number of lines is relatively large - 14 - running that many lines, each with a set of DVI over UTP extension modules, can get expensive. Is there a more elegant solution, that will allow me to multiplex the 14 lines of DVI over just a few lines of something else, and then split it back out at the destination?
You typically locate the video wall processor at or near the displays, thus minimizing the run length from it to the displays.  Is that an option?

If you do need to extend DVI then there may be related factors such as the resolution and refresh rate of the signal, whether it is single or dual link, whether the signal is DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I or if the formats can change, whether you want to also transmit audio and/or control, how it handles EDID and HDCP and so on.

I've only encountered them a few times and that was some time ago but at that time had good luck with Opticomm products.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 06:11:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.