ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video setup question  (Read 3154 times)

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
Video setup question
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »

Hello !

I a 12 gigs where I have to provide live feed for choir show. its in a church of 100' x 42'. We have 2 LCD's (one left + one right at 70 feets from the ''stage''.

So the setup will be :

2 Camera's (one will be fixed and one will move)
1 Sima SFX-11  (mixer)
2 LCD
1 12x8 scree + Projector (6.5K).

My question is in regards to the camera's, we have some choices in terms of rental and or acquisition

Canon GL2 (buy for 500$)
Canon XL2 (Buy for 1000$)
Panasonic HPX500 (Rental)
Panasonic DVX100 (Rental)

What should we focus more on ?

Thank you,

We have some camcorders to choose from

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
Re: Video setup question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »

The Panasonic HPX500 is a pretty standard camera to see at live events and would almost certainly work for your needs (assuming that your video mixer has the correct typeof inputs).

One thing to keep in mind is that you will also need tripods for the cameras and while most of the smaller cameras on the list will fit onto normal consumer tripods, all of the Panasonic HPX500s that I have seen have a special mounting plate on the bottom for professional tripods. (they are also much to heavy for most consumer tripods).

Another thing to note is that they are removable lens cameras so make sure that they come with lenses / batteries / power adaptors before you end up with great camera bodies that can't do anything useful because the rental price did not include any accessories.
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »

+1 to everything Sam said.

It's also a good idea to look into a Spider Pod for the stationary camera; the tripod legs will mount into it and will keep the operator's movements from affecting the shot's stability.  It also raises the camera a couple of feet above the crowd so your shots are unobstructed (until they start moshing and raising their hands anyway  ::)).
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Othmane Alaoui

• Produkson - Sound & Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »

+1 to everything Sam said.

It's also a good idea to look into a Spider Pod for the stationary camera; the tripod legs will mount into it and will keep the operator's movements from affecting the shot's stability.  It also raises the camera a couple of feet above the crowd so your shots are unobstructed (until they start moshing and raising their hands anyway  ::)).

Thank you Jordan and Sam. The rental do include a regular lens ( forgot the model ), battery packs, power supply and tripod biker style.

I got an interesting offer on a used GL2 for 350$ - including 4 battery packs + PSU... is this a good deal ? the same person has also a XL2 for 600$ ... The only missing part will be the tripod witch I can certainly get for a good price ?

Thanks,

Othmane

Sean T. Hayes

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »

Hi Othmane,

I set this kind of event up fairly often. One thing to take note of is that the cameras you are looking at can all output an HD signal. However, the video switcher you have specified appears to only accept a composite video signal, which is much below the capabilities of the cameras. It will still work the way you have it, but a switcher that has maybe SDI inputs would be better suited for use with these cameras.

Sean
-------------------
Sean T. Hayes

A lack of planning on your part does not equal an emergency on my part.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.