ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: torrent f5 by blizard  (Read 5160 times)

Ted Christensen

torrent f5 by blizard
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »

Was wondering if many people have used these yet and how they like them? I know they are supposed to be very bright for its class but the dmx channels seemed very limited for its price and class. Maybe 16-17 total, other moving heads in that range have 24-32 channels.

Thoughts?
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
Re: torrent f5 by blizard
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

Was wondering if many people have used these yet and how they like them? I know they are supposed to be very bright for its class but the dmx channels seemed very limited for its price and class. Maybe 16-17 total, other moving heads in that range have 24-32 channels.

Thoughts?

I got a pair of them from the first batch of production.
They are very bright (for their class, as you said), and the motors are VERY fast. They do everything I need them to do and I find I have plenty of control. Mostly corpy, weddings, club type stuff.

If they were CMY and had a zoom they would be perfect, but you normally pay a bit more for those features.

DISCLAIMER: I am a Blizzard dealer. BUT, I'm a dealer for many lighting companies, and I chose to inventory these small LED profiles over other options- if that says anything.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »

I got a pair of them from the first batch of production.
They are very bright (for their class, as you said), and the motors are VERY fast. They do everything I need them to do and I find I have plenty of control. Mostly corpy, weddings, club tiype stuff.

If they were CMY and had a zoom they would be perfect, but you normally pay a bit more for those features.

DISCLAIMER: I am a Blizzard dealer. BUT, I'm a dealer for many lighting companies, and I chose to inventory these small LED profiles over other options- if that says anythingt

Thanks Nick. It's a toss up. The platinum spot 5r seemed like a good choice but i want led. The chauvet itimidator 350 was a good choice but its not as bright as a Martin scx700 and doesn't have two gobo wheels...maybe you can chime in or someone else can about what would be a good fit for me.

I'm looking for something durable bright and flexible and wouldn't regret buying after a year or two, led is what I want to stick too.

I can't find anyone with a torrent f5 in the Minnesota area.

Edit: I have the scx 700 currently just a few of those and some scx500.

The blizzard ice60 seems like a cool choice for the price, two gobo wheels and led around 700 but still not as bright as a scx700.

I'm looking to take a step up in all directions not sideways
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 05:43:10 PM by Ted Christensen »
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

James Feenstra

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:07:59 PM »

don't judge quality by dmx channels...a LOT of lights have many extra channels that aren't necessary/needed/used at all.

I can think of at least half a dozen off the top of my head that have at least 4 more channels than actually necessary.

Why they do it, I have no idea

also, there's several blizzard dealers in the Minnesota area, so they may be able to help you out;

http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/dealers/locatedealer

Disclaimer: I'm also a blizzard dealer
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:10:19 PM by James Feenstra »
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Nick Pignetti

• Event Pro Live
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

Ted,

Everything you're saying says Torrent F5.

I had the Platinum spot 5Rs before going to the F5s. 5 out of 6 had problems out of the box.

The F5 is well featured with everything youd expect- gobo and color wheels, 3 & 5 facet prisms, frost, focus, iris etc. You can see the specs if you like. They are light, bright (as an eye test roughly the same, maybe a tad brighter than the 5R, and the motors are FAST. Reliability has yet to be seen but I've been using them (not just selling them) since they were released with no issues. I can, and I think many others will too, attest to the great customer support from Blizzard.

The only thing LED from Chauvet at this point somewhat comparable would be the Q Spot 560, but the F5 is brighter, and has more features. (It's reflected in the pricing too)

If  you absolutely want LED (can I ask why by the way?) at this point in time, I believe that's the right way to go. Now, LDI is this weekend, so let's see what gets released.

I've always said I want a solid small profile in the 2k-3k price point that is well featured and reliable. At this point I really like the F5. I'm also giving a hard look at the Chauvet Legend 300E for a slightly larger, slightly more capable, still small profile. It's not LED, but I'm liking what I'm reading. I may bring in a pair to test out, but I'm waiting until after I see what hits the market after this weekend.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »

Ted,

I had the Platinum spot 5Rs before going to the F5s. 5 out of 6 had problems out of the box.

The F5 is well featured with everything youd expect- gobo and color wheels, 3 & 5 facet prisms, frost, focus, iris etc. You can see the specs if you like. They are light, bright (as an eye test roughly the same, maybe a tad brighter than the 5R, and the motors are FAST. Reliability has yet to be seen but I've been using them (not just selling them) since they were released with no issues. I can, and I think many others will too, attest to the great customer support from Blizzard.

The only thing LED from Chauvet at this point somewhat comparable would be the Q Spot 560, but the F5 is brighter, and has more features. (It's reflected in the pricing too)

If  you absolutely want LED (can I ask why by the way?) at this point in Ytime, I believe that's the right way to go. Now, LDI is this weekend, so let's see what gets released.

I've always said I want a solid small profile in the 2k-3k price point that is well featured and reliable. At this point I really like the F5. I'm also giving a hard look at the Chauvet Legend 300E for a slightly larger, slightly more capable, still small profile. It's not LED, but I'mI liking what I'm reading. I may bring in a pair to test out, but I'm waiting until after I see what hits the market after this weekend.

I would like to stay led for power consumption.  Unless you could suggest a fixture in the same price range (new or used that's not on its way out the door) that is more bright like a 5r or similar. I'm looking for these lights to really pop through when they are up in the air 15 feet or more.

P.s I'm trying to run as much as a 30kw pa plus 8 300w par cans 16 led fixtures 9 scanners plus band and foh power and have spare powrr of one 110/220 range plug. Which is why I want to stay led.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »

Ted,

My experience with Blizzard:

16 Rocklite RGBAW fixtures.
The Rocklites are phenomenal. I'm actually having to move them off my front truss because they are *too* bright.

8 Puck RGBAW fixtures
Puck RGBAW units are damn good. Would like to use these on my front truss to replace the Rocklites, but I'll probably have to buy another 12-24 of these units to get the light that I need.

24 Puck (RGB) fixtures.
Okay, what do you expect for $100? Not very bright and two or three of the 24 I bought have so minor problems (some LEDs not coming on, a button or two that doesn't work quite right). Had to buy these for a party I was doing and the price fit the budget constraints. In larger shows, I may stick these on some vertical truss at the back of the stage for a matrix effect (6x4 matrix). They *might* work on an entertainment stage I do during the month of December, but that experiment will have to wait until next year.

Plans for the future:
20-32 additional Puck RGBAW

4 F5 intels -- glad to hear the motors are fast. I've got four Irradiant SSDL-3201 moving head washes and the motors are so slow that they're useless for another other than refocusing beams during a show to fill in dark zones you've missed when bounce-focusing fixtures in broad daylight.  My budget would have been happier with a sub-$2,000 fixture, but if I have to go $2,500 to do it right, that's better than spending <$2,000 and then having to spend $2,500 per afterwards to make it right.

I'm really holding out for 5-in-1 LEDs to arrive (RGBAW). Something like the newer Puck quad units with 5-in-1 LEDs would be amazing. If these arrive at some point over the next year, I'd get 12 Puck RGBAW units to finish off my back truss and wait on the 5-in-1 units for my front truss. Having a wider coverage angle on the front truss would help, too (like 40 degrees).

Just really glad to hear about the F5 intels. Based on my experience with Blizzard thus far, I've largely committed to buying those. Will be interesting to see how well they hold up over the next year (while I'm saving pennies to buy them).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Ted Christensen

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Had a chance to demo a f5. Really bummed. Not as bright as I thought especially for the money. The chauvet intimidator
350 seemed just as bright if not more and that's 75watts led vs "150".

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.