ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: battery powered (pink) noise stick?  (Read 25487 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: battery powered (pink) noise stick?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 08:53:05 PM »

Are you willing to do just a little bit of work?  OK  pick one of the many telephone toners.  You can chose by case size or shape or you can pick by the tone.  Some have selectable hi lo or warble.  cut off the alligator clips and wire on a XLR.  (you may need to wire in a simple resistive pad as well. )

Example
http://www.triplett.com/products/fox-and-hound-series/detail/10-fox-and-hound-series/flypage/58-the-fox-jr-a-hound-jr-kit-compact-wire-a-cable-tracing-kit?sef=hcfp

Got to have Pink noise?  build one of these, put it in a little tiny box, run 6 in to a XLR plug.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/support/downloads/?code=K4301

Got to have it in a XLR plug?  Buy a talking greeting card repackage the components (one chip and one miniature coin battery)
I tried it. It works, the sound quality is BAD.

Got to have it on a XLR plug.  Get one of these and some RTV  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4GB-Recording-Pen-USB-Flash-Memory-Mp3-Pen-Voice-Recorder-Mp3-Player-USB-Pen-/150921067804?pt=Voice_Recorders&hash=item232398bd1c
Not to Code

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:52 PM »

Are you willing to do just a little bit of work?  OK  pick one of the many telephone toners.  You can chose by case size or shape or you can pick by the tone.  Some have selectable hi lo or warble.  cut off the alligator clips and wire on a XLR.  (you may need to wire in a simple resistive pad as well. )

Example
http://www.triplett.com/products/fox-and-hound-series/detail/10-fox-and-hound-series/flypage/58-the-fox-jr-a-hound-jr-kit-compact-wire-a-cable-tracing-kit?sef=hcfp

Got to have Pink noise?  build one of these, put it in a little tiny box, run 6 in to a XLR plug.
http://www.vellemanusa.com/support/downloads/?code=K4301

Got to have it in a XLR plug?  Buy a talking greeting card repackage the components (one chip and one miniature coin battery)
I tried it. It works, the sound quality is BAD.

Got to have it on a XLR plug.  Get one of these and some RTV  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4GB-Recording-Pen-USB-Flash-Memory-Mp3-Pen-Voice-Recorder-Mp3-Player-USB-Pen-/150921067804?pt=Voice_Recorders&hash=item232398bd1c

None of those solutions meet the requirements Tom is asking for. I understand why he wants the small form factor, and I agree it would be a great device. Whether it is feasible or not remains to be seen. What he wants is something like THIS but with wide band noise rather than a 700Hz tone, and the ability to drive line level as well as mic level.

An iPod Shuffle with its left channel only going to a micro transformer inside a MXLR might be a good stopgap measure.

Mac

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 09:45:23 PM »

None of those solutions meet the requirements Tom is asking for. I understand why he wants the small form factor, and I agree it would be a great device. Whether it is feasible or not remains to be seen. What he wants is something like THIS but with wide band noise rather than a 700Hz tone, and the ability to drive line level as well as mic level.

An iPod Shuffle with its left channel only going to a micro transformer inside a MXLR might be a good stopgap measure.

Mac

Thanks for getting it, Mac.

The Shure tone generator has some features that would be also be useful for the pink noise generator that the OP and I have in mind:

tolerates phantom power

on-off

recessed switch(s)

I think there may be a conflict between pink noise and battery power, otherwise why wouldn't this have been designed and brought to market already ?

Perhaps the crest-factor / duty cycle of pink noise at signiifcant (line) level (+4)requires more than a small battery can provide without needing a charge too often ? My Minirator Pro uses 3 AA batteries but also has an LCD screen. So that's no guide.

There's also a safety issue. If the generator outputs whatever level it is set to when you power it up, you could inadvertantly plug it into a powered speaker and "tear the roof off the mothersucker" (SPL) and/or damage drivers before you can react and unplug it or reach the gain switch. So an auto ramp-up in level function would be very cool. But up goes the cost and the required real estate, as well.

..... just thinking out loud.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »

I mentioned crest factor already but yes, a high crest factor requires more battery (voltage not power).

I use a nice SMD class d power IC (drives a speaker directly). It is about the size of a hungry wood tick and has a differential output so in theory one 1.5V battery could put out effectively 3V p-p, so in theory that would support +6dB crest factor to 0 dBu or so. SInce it is PWM it is also efficient so easy on battery life. Unless you are doing precision measurement you can probably relax on the need for a high crest factor (let momentary peaks clip, just don't tell anybody).

I'd prefer 2 AA cells to support even stronger level with good battery life. There are small bug micros that will run down well below 3V

Mac's Ipod whatever is getting closer, but why use only one output? Have the stereo outputs deliver the + and - polarity for a differential mono (balanced?) output. If the whole thing is battery powered and floating, just don't tell anybody that it isn't transformer balanced. Save your transformer for something grounded to something else, or grounded to anything at all. 

JR

PS: I bet I could sell ten or twenty of these...  8)
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

None of those solutions meet the requirements Tom is asking for.
Mac

Understood.  But it appears that nothing does.  So, lets look at another work around.  A Goldline GLPN needs 12 volts DC phantom power so get a XLR to XLR barrel, 2 resistors and two capacitors and an A23 12 volt battery.  Put it together and you have a XLR output no wires round form factor pink noise generator that doesn't need Phantom power.

Want to make it a bit smaller?  Gut the GLPN, and put the guts it in the barrel.  Want it smaller yet, with a switch?  Build the case out of this stuff. http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/accessories/modules/

You could even get fancy and put in two switches, one for power and one for level

Or use the stereo output from a MP3 player as has been suggested.  The one shaped like a pen has the 1/8 stereo jack on the end.  It is just begging to have that end grafted onto a XLR with the stereo output going to pin 2 and 3

Not to Code

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »

Take a RAT sender a Rational Accoustic noise stick tape the 2 together plug in Y cable and leave attached use the switch on the sender to turn it on and off, ugly but works, and you can still use the sender to find the dead bastard cable at the top of the array. G

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

Take a RAT sender a Rational Accoustic noise stick tape the 2 together plug in Y cable and leave attached use the switch on the sender to turn it on and off, ugly but works, and you can still use the sender to find the dead bastard cable at the top of the array. G

Think about it ......... you sure you want to feed 12VDC to the input of your self-powered speaker or DSP ?
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »

Think about it ......... you sure you want to feed 12VDC to the input of your self-powered speaker or DSP ?
Tom,

A valid concern to be sure, but one easily remedied by lifting Pin 1 on the other male XLR connector.  For such a compact-looking solution to the OP's problem, I'd think the testing rig could stay together so as not to be mixed up with "normal" wye cables, etc.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »

Tom,

A valid concern to be sure, but one easily remedied by lifting Pin 1 on the other male XLR connector.  For such a compact-looking solution to the OP's problem, I'd think the testing rig could stay together so as not to be mixed up with "normal" wye cables, etc.

The world I work in is periodically visited by Mr. Murphy who will see to it that either I (late at night, after a 12-16 hour day) or my helper will grab the wrong Y-cable. Or we'll forget that we need all 3 components. Or someone else needs (or failed to return) the sender. Or all of them.

This endless bantering is, in reality, a moot point for me as I have a MR-Pro generator, which I love.

In response to the OP plus my own needs (for something more compact and robust) I have looked high and wide for a battery powered, tubular, self-contained pocket PNG and (so far) it looks like none are available.

I will leave it to the OP as to whether he wishes to entertain any of the offered alternatives.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »

The world I work in is periodically visited by Mr. Murphy who will see to it that either I (late at night, after a 12-16 hour day) or my helper will grab the wrong Y-cable. Or we'll forget that we need all 3 components. Or someone else needs (or failed to return) the sender. Or all of them.

This endless bantering is, in reality, a moot point for me as I have a MR-Pro generator, which I love.

In response to the OP plus my own needs (for something more compact and robust) I have looked high and wide for a battery powered, tubular, self-contained pocket PNG and (so far) it looks like none are available.

I will leave it to the OP as to whether he wishes to entertain any of the offered alternatives.

I have a couple of "specials" (like those darn Powercon blue->grey barrels that seem to have a mind of their own).

In my world, those types of things get "shrinkwrapped" to whatever connector/cable they need to be connected to.  If anyone is tired enough to inadvertently start peeling off the shrinkwrap and disassebling the components I'd see them unfit to be flying a PA.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.