ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: battery powered (pink) noise stick?  (Read 19116 times)

Simon Lewis

Re: battery powered (pink) noise stick?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:30:36 am »

If you can tolerate 1kHz sine wave rather than pink noise then the Ebtech cable tester (or the low cost Behringer "tribute" version) might suit?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 08:00:37 am »

If you can tolerate 1kHz sine wave rather than pink noise then the Ebtech cable tester (or the low cost Behringer "tribute" version) might suit?

Think about it: what does a single frequency tone tell you about the condition of a loudspeaker as opposed to random noise which typically covers the audio spectrum?
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:33 am »

Think about it: what does a single frequency tone tell you about the condition of a loudspeaker as opposed to random noise which typically covers the audio spectrum?

Is the voice coil rubbing?

If a signal path rather than a loudspeaker in isolation, is it nummy, noisy, or crackly, or distorted? None of these things can be easily determined with pink noise; all are easier to notice with sinusoids....

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

peter dakin

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 09:14:39 am »

thanks for the input guys, but i'm really looking for something that does away with having to have a device with cables etc.
I don't need a tester to find faults with wiring, I purely want a simple device to test active speakers or all parts of a x-over are receiving signal, before being flown in the air.

I currently use an ipod with cable to play pink noise, but its annoying to have to find cable and plug ipod in test etc. I just wanted something like the rational noise stick that can easily sit in my pocket. Having to carry a y-split cable to supply 48v, is just the same as carrying ipod cable.

As mentioned a 1k tone doesn't really achieve what I require as I need a full range signal to make sure every element (Sub/LMF/MF/HF) is receiving a signal and devices mentioned still require cables

James Brooks

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:50 am »

Goldline GLPN
Pink Noise Generator

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 09:41:32 am »

If a signal path rather than a loudspeaker in isolation, is it nummy, noisy, or crackly, or distorted? None of these things can be easily determined with pink noise; all are easier to notice with sinusoids....

Ed Walters

A variable sine wave perhaps, so you can find the particular nasties. Wide band Noise should be better than single fixed tone. But anything is better than nothing for troubleshooting.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:17:56 am »

Ed Walters

Make that swept sin waves / sinusoids and I'll concede that I should have been more specific.

But the swept sin wave test for distortion needs to be pretty loud in level and is not something one does "on the fly", as implied was needed by the OP.  It also requires a potentiometer (or consist of a wav file) for the sweep function. Either of these would be kind of hard to put on or in a stick/tube device which is what was requested and is required for insertion into the ldspkrs input without need for a cable.

As far as hum, if the tester is battery powered (and therefore not connected to building or tech power ground) it will likely not exhibit hum as might occur when the loudspeaker is connected in a system.

Speaking for myself and (perhaps) the OP; we need a pink noise generator in stick form that is battery powered. This allows one to check several base performance characteristics (ie: the general "health") of self-powered loudspeakers, etc. "on the fly" and without complete diagnostics which are better done in the shop.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

peter dakin

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 10:19:03 am »

Goldline GLPN
Pink Noise Generator

requires phantom.

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:59 am »

Goldline GLPN
Pink Noise Generator

It is apparent that you missed the part about being battery powered ...... not phantom powered.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

peter dakin

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27:25 am »

Speaking for myself and (perhaps) the OP; we need a pink noise generator in stick form that is battery powered. This allows one to check several base performance characteristics (ie: the general "health") of self-powered loudspeakers, etc. "on the fly" and without complete diagnostics which are better done in the shop.

Exactly.. when flying active speakers, such as Meyer boxes, you can have 40+ boxes flown in the air, all requiring power and all requiring signal.
Obviously you want to test each speaker, to ensure it is receiving power and signal, before been flown to "array height", motor cables put away and safety secured, which will generally have happened by the time you have your FOH/multi's ran out. I want a more streamlined device, without cables.
The 'noise-stick' by rational acoustics is exactly what I need, expect for requiring 48v. To get 48v will require cables and another device to supply power, which is more cumbersome than what I already have.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27:25 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.