ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: battery powered (pink) noise stick?  (Read 25589 times)

peter dakin

battery powered (pink) noise stick?
« on: October 11, 2012, 04:50:18 AM »

Anyone recommend a robust one?

I'm after one that's battery powered to quickly test cable runs and self-powered speakers.

Regards

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: battery powered (pink) noise stick?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »

I'm after one that's battery powered to quickly test cable runs and self-powered speakers.

Regards

I could use one of these.

The Rational Acoustics Noise Stick is great but requires phantom power.

The Ive IE-20 is (after 30+ years) still one of the best portable PNG's and it has a rechargeable battery plus stepped attenuator. But it has an unbalanced output into an RCA. No room for an XLR. Dang.

Shure used to make a battery powered stick-style generator but it (only) provided a 700Hz tone, IIRC.  The replacement battery was hard to find and also not rechargeable.

What I use (which serves this purpose) is an NTI Minirator Pro. But it costs a pretty penny, requires a cable and is not easy to put in your pocket.

I would like to see a stick style pink-noise generator with rechargeable or common (easy to find) battery plus 3 step (minimum) gain (level) range switch.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:21:57 AM by Tom Young »
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Sam Feine

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:10 AM »

Its is in no way a stick, nor is it cheap, but the Whirlwind cab driver is very robust, has an XLR output and also has the added benefit of being able to test all sorts of non powered speakers.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/testers/cab-driver
Electro-Acoustic Engineer at Community Professional Loudspeakers

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »

Regards

I also have one powered by phantom power.

How about one of those nearly free MP3 players?

Speaking of which.  I'd love to see a MP3 player housed in an XLR shell!

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »

While I still use my Q Box for fast on stage testing I have gone over to my iPhone entirely in the shop for pink noise and tone sweeping.  $1 gets a simple app, $10 gets a full feature app.  Simply recording 30 secs of pink and dumping it on your phone gets you a free sig gen. Plus or minus the cost of the phone.  :P

Regards

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

Over the decades I have doodled with a circuit design to make a handy battery powered pocket tester. The premise was to make a free running oscillator, where the frequency of the oscillator would vary based on termination impedance.

Ideally it would provide recognizable frequency discrimination between 0-2-4-8 ohms, all the way up to 600 ohm-2k-10k-higher. Obviously a nonlinear scale.

The oscillator would make enough output to actually be audible (while not very loud) when connected to a speaker, while not so loud, that it would cream a mic input.

I planned to use a square wave, or some variant waveform, so even a LF pitch, could have MF and HF output to exercise all loudspeaker drivers.

So kind of a swiss-army continuity tester, impedance checker, yadda yadda...

Another one of my projects I never finished. FWIW  this would have to sell for next to nothing, so not much dollar sales volume to speak of and encourage me to finish.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve Milner

• DcSoundOp Audio Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:58:28 PM »

Regards

These aren't pink noise sticks, but if you're on the hunt for testing tools, Dave Rat has some pretty awesome stuff available these days that he has designed himself for his touring needs. The XLR sniffer might work for your needs.

http://www.ratsoundsales.com/soundtools/

Steve

Scott Cameron

• Geelong, Australia
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »

These aren't pink noise sticks, but if you're on the hunt for testing tools, Dave Rat has some pretty awesome stuff available these days that he has designed himself for his touring needs. The XLR sniffer might work for your needs.

http://www.ratsoundsales.com/soundtools/

Steve

With a y-split you can use the sender as a phantom power source which would let you use the noise stick as mentioned above.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

Regards

Not exactly a stick, but I have a Heath Kit AD 1309 Pink-White Noise Generator that still sees a fair amount of use.  Runs of a 9v battery.  Unbalanced out but still useful for testing.
This space for rent

peter dakin

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:14 AM »

I would like to see a stick style pink-noise generator with rechargeable or common (easy to find) battery plus 3 step (minimum) gain (level) range switch.

Yup that's the one I'm after, I'll take two please!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:14 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.